Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times

Advertisements

Looks like FF is morphing into something else. Now they have this "Preview Thursday" to separate the art crowd form the everything else crowd.

Does CAC
"Does CAC's early closure on FF reflect a larger issue?"

Quote:

When the Contemporary Arts Center started closing early on First Friday this
spring, not everybody was surprised. Artists and art enthusiasts have long
argued the monthly festival that draws thousands Downtown is no longer an art
event. Gone are the trolleys shuttling visitors to art destinations; the First
Friday website doesn’t list galleries; and business owners say those there for
the party are crowding out art supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Interesting article. My kid says he doesn't like First Friday because he gets asked if he wants to buy some drugs every fifteen minutes.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM

I think metro reported a couple dozen underaged drunks last FF. I think that's why the proposed "fence" around the East Fremont street area comes up.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Looks like FF is morphing into something else. Now they have this "Preview Thursday" to separate the art crowd form the everything else crowd.

Does CAC
"Does CAC's early closure on FF reflect a larger issue?"
Organizers wanted it to be more than just 1 day a month event so they are thinking of ways to improve it and add more events similar to other cities.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,561 times
Not every event around Fremont ST is going to be a smashing hit right off. The area is in a state of Flux. I have noticed after 1:00 PM the gang looking bunches of people show up they must figure security is more lax then. The shooting down there took place around 2:30 PM so that speaks for it self. There is too much $$$ invested to have a few ruin it all for everyone else. I don't know how stupid these people are expecting to go there and start trouble and sell drugs with so many security cameras around they will get busted. The gang mentality of these people will be dealt with it is only a matter of time. I just hope they leave us other normal crazy's alone lol.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,727 times
I havent been to FF in a while, but even when I first went a couple years ago it wasn't the art buying demographic. It was the beer drinking, "I take pictures and do Bikram yoga crowd."

I should add for clarification that those who make art and those that contribute to those that make art - are often very different people.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Joe Downtown: Fremont East might be fenced off on First Fridays to curb underage drinking - Las Vegas Weekly
Quote:
There’s an idea circulating among Downtown business owners, Metro police and
the city to fence off Fremont East on First Friday in July. As everyone surely
knows by now, First Friday is the one-night-per-month art walk/street fair some
two miles southwest of Fremont East. Now a decade old, it’s more popular than
ever, attracting close to 30,000 people when the weather is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas