Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM

418 posts, read 1,348,729 times

Advertisements

My cell plan is about to end and I am looking for opinions on what you like or don't like ..
It can be contract or prepaid

What I like is reliable service .. I don't want to spend any more than needed .. I don't make many calls and don't need gobs of data ... the spouse may use 600 plus minutes some texting, small amounts of data and some international text
International calling might be of interest if not too $$$ as we also skype
I do travel so that would be important .. and getting signals when traveling by car is very very big ..

Thank you in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM

629 posts, read 1,174,968 times
These are the best deals for measured users:

PlatinumTel (PayAsYouGo best deal) - Runs on T-Mobile network
Prepaid Wireless Plans: Monthly and Pay-As-You-Go, including SMS Bundles - PlatinumTel

Ting (Runs on Sprint network)
https://ting.com/rates

Republic Wireless (Runs on custom network & Sprint network)
Prepaid Cell Phones - No Contract Cell Phones | Republic Wireless

FreedomPop (runs on Sprint 3g and Clear 4g network - not available till end of summer)
Free Internet Service Provider | Home Internet Service | Free ISP - [FreedomPop]

For unlimited data/txt, measured voice users:
Prepaid Unlimited Data & Messaging Plans - Beyond Talk Plans | Virgin Mobile

Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Default yours

May I ask, what do you use and what do you like or dislike ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
These are the best deals for measured users:

PlatinumTel (PayAsYouGo best deal) - Runs on T-Mobile network
Prepaid Wireless Plans: Monthly and Pay-As-You-Go, including SMS Bundles - PlatinumTel

Ting (Runs on Sprint network)
https://ting.com/rates

Republic Wireless (Runs on custom network & Sprint network)
Prepaid Cell Phones - No Contract Cell Phones | Republic Wireless

FreedomPop (runs on Sprint 3g and Clear 4g network - not available till end of summer)
Free Internet Service Provider | Home Internet Service | Free ISP - [FreedomPop]

For unlimited data/txt, measured voice users:
Prepaid Unlimited Data & Messaging Plans - Beyond Talk Plans | Virgin Mobile

Old 06-24-2013, 03:17 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
You should also consider what type of phone you have:
--CDMA (no sim cards): Sprint, Vorizon, Virgin and their contracted carriers
--GSM (with sim cards): AT&T, TMobile, and their contracted carriers (e.g, Simple Mobile with TMobile)

Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Thank you, but, what I am asking is for people to tell me about the service they use .. what they like or do not like ...

Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
When I switched my carrier last month, I spent days researching reviews and info on the internet myself.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM

What did you chose and why ?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
We have T-mobile and haven't had any problems. Supposedly they are rolling out brand new towers in LV, but we haven't seen the need for them, as we have never lost signal or had a dropped call. My wife and step-daughter both have Samsung Galaxy S II phones, and I have an HTC One. Very happy with the phones and service all around. I think for the 3 of us it is something like $160/mo with unlimited everything including boosted data (step-daughter is 20, you know the rest).

Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 AM

515 posts, read 1,179,850 times
I use Virgin Mobile prepaid. Depending on your phone it is either $30 or $35/month for 300 minutes and unlimited text and data. The only limit is after you hit 2GB of data they throttle your speeds but it still works. You can pick up an LG android phone that works with Virgin Mobile for around $120 (often much less on sale). I have not had reception problems anywhere in town. If you travel to the boonies you might not always have a signal but any big metro area and highway (like from here to LA) are covered.

I am a very light user and have been looking at even cheaper prepaid plans from Lyca Mobile. They are HUGE in europe and just starting in the US as a (sort of) T-Mobile reseller. Best thing about them is that, unlike all other US prepaid options, your minutes don't expire at the end of the month. They are good for at least 90 days and as long as you keep topping off every 90 days they never expire. Downside is that they are having teething pains here and their business model is basically zero customer support. For example, their own web page for ordering a SIM was busted for a couple of weeks because it as a cut-n-paste job of their euro site which has different zip-code standards).

T-Mobile Reseller Lycamobile's Cheap Unlimited Talk & Text ($19) & Cheap Paygo (2c a minute)

Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
We have T-mobile and haven't had any problems. Supposedly they are rolling out brand new towers in LV, but we haven't seen the need for them, as we have never lost signal or had a dropped call. My wife and step-daughter both have Samsung Galaxy S II phones, and I have an HTC One. Very happy with the phones and service all around. I think for the 3 of us it is something like $160/mo with unlimited everything including boosted data (step-daughter is 20, you know the rest).
I use Tmobile prepaid too with Galaxy S2 ..pay $30/month for 5GB 4g speed but only get 100 talk minutes a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas