Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:25 PM

743 posts, read 968,579 times

Advertisements

One of my workers has a daughter whose boyfriend is not working and hasn't worked for 2 years...his excuse is that he can't get a job because he has to submit identification that would show there's a warrant out for him. He's not a bad guy (I've met him), and it's from something a while back that he keeps pushing back and doesn't want to address (stupid! I know!)...besides panhandling, anyone have any ideas on how to make money for a guy like this out here in Vegas...they are struggling financially and her mother is working 2 jobs to support them both, sad.

The guy is mid 20's.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
There is no winning answer here. This boyfriend with a warrant is useless. Forbidding daughter to date useless boyfriend will backfire. Inviting better prospects will backfire.

I think the only reasonable course of action is "nudging" daughter to ditch this loser.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:52 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
There should be plenty of jobs that pay under the table in this town. At least I would think so.

The guy just needs to face the music(warrant) so he can move on with a normal life.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I think the only reasonable course of action is "nudging" daughter to ditch this loser.
Or call the non-emergency police line and get him picked up; then he will be forced to sort out his warrant. The girlfriend will likely move on while he is locked up.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Not a bad guy? Wow... how low have standards become?

Anyone not willing to face the music for their deeds certainly isn't a GOOD guy!

Best advice I have....stay out of the whole thing! Completely, as in just don't even have the conversation, no advice, no prodding...nothing!

I'd be weary of that "worker" as well....obviously that worker has some pretty low standards as well as evidence by your whole post.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 AM

743 posts, read 968,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Not a bad guy? Wow... how low have standards become?

Anyone not willing to face the music for their deeds certainly isn't a GOOD guy!

Best advice I have....stay out of the whole thing! Completely, as in just don't even have the conversation, no advice, no prodding...nothing!

I'd be weary of that "worker" as well....obviously that worker has some pretty low standards as well as evidence by your whole post.
By saying, he's a "good" guy, I'm saying he could probably handle a job and isn't a safety threat or has an addiction...so by those standards. I do agree he needs to take care of the warrant thing...kid does not understand "opportunity cost".

For the short term he needs to contribute because her mother has rightfully had it and by next month they could be homeless. Mother is a great worker and friend so I feel bad.

I agree with everyone's point on what SHOULD happen but since it's affecting the daughter and mom any contribution from him would make the situation easier, at least for now.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 AM

557 posts, read 793,551 times
I am sure your heart is in the right place,but you would be a fool to help this fugitive from justice. Anyone knowingly assisting the fugitive might be committing a crime themselves. Stay away, far far away.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:52 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
I can't help but remember the old Indian in Natural Born Killers talking about taking in and nursing the snake back to health. when it bit him he asked why. The snake replied: You knew I was a snake when you took me in!

Never think someone will be different with you than their history with others.

I don't know what this warrant is for but you could be opening yourself up to harboring/aiding/abetting if the charge is serious enough.

Don't forget about bounty hunters....they can enter your property legally in most states because of this yoyo that you're trying to help.

There's got to be more to this than you're telling us...why do you really want to put yourself at risk for these people?

Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 AM

515 posts, read 1,180,331 times
All of these non-answers aren't helping. The OP has made it pretty clear his eyes are open and he's pretty far removed from the guy anyway.

First off, the thing about "submitting identification that would show there is a warrant" is bogus. Maybe at a large employer, but small businesses are under no requirement to do background checks or to verify identity. At worst they have to keep an I-9 on file, but they don't have to do anything with the I-9 beyond stick in a filing cabinet. Some may go above and beyond but they aren't legally required to.

I would expect that the more the jobs were manual labor, the less likely the business is to do more than the bare minimum. So, get a landscaping job or something along those lines. Obviously its going to be a crap job, but it sounds like the situation here is one where anything is better than nothing.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:30 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. He's irresponsible, obviously.

I know people like this. Not a danger to society, but a leech. I feel for your friend and don't blame her for saying "enough".

He could try getting a job washing dishes at a truck stop, or doing day labor like the guys who hang around the nursery or Home Depot. I doubt if the local smoke shops do background checks, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: