Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:51 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times

Advertisements

Yes and no. That's why we have a segregated legals system (segregated from the police), to deal with these issues off the street. Otherwise it would be chaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 05:05 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Yes and no. That's why we have a segregated legals system (segregated from the police), to deal with these issues off the street. Otherwise it would be chaos.
I may be biased as I had a very bad encounter with the police back in the late '80's. I was in my early 20's. Some friends and I pulled into the old Odyssey Records on LV Blvd (near the base of Stratosphere now). As we pulled in, a person leaned in and offered to sell us drugs, we said no thanks and finished pulling in. As we got out of the car, a police cruiser jumped the curb and exited with gun pulled and pointed at us. The next hour included severe beatings with clubs (2 more cruisers showed up). It turns out the person who offered us drugs (referred to as a Mud Monkey, as he was black) was a setup. The main cop just couldn't believe we hadn't bought anything. They tore the car apart, nearly strip searched us and left us with major bruises.

After they gave up and told us to never travel in their area again, I looked into filing a complaint. I was told BY THE POLICE DEPARTMENT that that would result in "safety inspections" of my vehicle anytime I rode on a public street. safety inspections that would make our torn apart VW bug look like a nice detailing job.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM

557 posts, read 793,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
For what? for what is "alleged" in the complaint. Do the same thing they would do to anyone else arrest until proven not guilty.

Do I think DA would arrest? no

Benefit of the doubt? Sure there are good cops out there and they go unnoticed, but this just SO fits what goes on around here. I give the benefit of the doubt to the civilian.

Neither of us were there but we're not there when people get shot either and we form an opinion. My OPINION is that this is just another example of power hungry police thinking that they are above the law. Before you think I'm a cop hater I took the civil service exam, passed the physical, passed the psych eval, got hired and didn't show up to the academy. In other words it's a job I considered at one time. I have no contempt for the police overall.
You want to arrest WITHOUT probable cause ( irrational response )

You want to arrest because " this just SO fits what goes on around here" ( another irrational response )

Agreed, neither one of us was there. I will reserve judgment until ALL facts are out, not just the plaintiffs complaint. ( you have an opinion based on the partial plaintiffs complaint ) Again irrational.

When you say THEY you are doing what some Police also do. It is the us vs them mentality, and I don't agree with that attitude from either side. The police and community need each other.

You stated you have no contempt for the police overall. After reading your response this is laughable.

IMHO I believe your distain of the Police comes more from the economic side, ie PENSIONS and BENEFITS. With YOU it is about class warfare.

I have seen RIOTS and 2 communities partially burned down to the ground due to emotional response from community. Very few wanted to wait for the full set of facts to come out, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post

You want to arrest because " this just SO fits what goes on around here" ( another irrational response )

Agreed, neither one of us was there. I will reserve judgment until ALL facts are out, not just the plaintiffs complaint. ( you have an opinion based on the partial plaintiffs complaint ) Again irrational.

When you say THEY you are doing what some Police also do. It is the us vs them mentality, and I don't agree with that attitude from either side. The police and community need each other.

You stated you have no contempt for the police overall. After reading your response this is laughable.

IMHO I believe your distain of the Police comes more from the economic side, ie PENSIONS and BENEFITS. With YOU it is about class warfare.

I have seen RIOTS and 2 communities partially burned down to the ground due to emotional response from community. Very few wanted to wait for the full set of facts to come out, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Do us a favor. Read this series, the whole thing, and then get back to us.

Always Justified | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post

I want the police to hold themselves accountable for their actions period. If that is a wild and crazy idea to you so be it.

If you laugh because I think what these cops did is wrong and you can't seperate judgement passed on a few Vs a feeling of contempt towards all - then you should turn around and start laughing at yourself.

The economic side? Please. You just made the most ridiculous assumption I've heard in a while.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
This is pathetic. What in the hell has happened to this country?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I want the police to hold themselves accountable for their actions period. If that is a wild and crazy idea to you so be it.

If you laugh because I think what these cops did is wrong and you can't seperate judgement passed on a few Vs a feeling of contempt towards all - then you should turn around and start laughing at yourself.

The economic side? Please. You just made the most ridiculous assumption I've heard in a while.
I don't care about their pensions. I just want them to understand the laws they enforce and not make it up as they go along.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
I once had my home searched without a warrant. I was going to just stay inside but they were going to break down the door. I was on the phone with my lawyers assistant at the time. She said to just open the door.

The cuffed me sat me down and proceeded to go into the home. They did not disturb anything. They ran my ID. Were really pissed I did not just let them in. They never explained what they were doing or what they wanted. After the fact they sort of calmed down and were even nice about it. Released me and went on their way.

I dealt with the police chief on that one as well as internal affairs. They ended up saying that their was some complaint involving a child and they are allowed to enter without a warrant in such cases. They never asked about a child, nor was one present. It was sort of strange. I dropped the issue.

I don't understand that sort of thing but of course I've witness a great deal of police injustice.

Maybe now white people are learning what it is like to be black. lol.

No laughing matter really though. They've been doing this sort of thing forever.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
This has starting hitting mainstream media for those of you who still don't believe this sort of thing can happen in the United States of America.

I just realized this incident happened in 2011. We are just now hearing about it.

Henderson family sues police for breaking into their homes | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 07-05-2013, 11:18 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,499 times
There will always be people who abuse the power entrusted to them, it is human nature. They are generally a small percentage of the whole.

However, the people who are a much worse problem are the enablers - the ones who think that it is more important to defend the thin blue line than it is to uphold the public trust. They let the ones who abuse their power give the entire profession a bad name. The group of enablers is much larger than the handful of bad apples, but in the long run they are much more destructive to the institution.

For what little it matters, my uncle was a beat cop for his entire career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas