Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,039,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I get those same anonymous comments. Especially from those that don't agree with me. Probably half my rep points, nothing new. Everyone gets them.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Isn't that obnoxious? I've never done that to anyone here. If I have something confrontational to say, I just say it. It doesn't always make Obeserver's life easier, but I find it cowardly to hide behind an anonymous rep comment.

Back to topic, do we need more cops, or a better allocation of resources? I don't have enough data to have an informed opinion, but I'd look at the allocations first. I've seen major police responses to silly little incidents, while major events go understaffed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,928,028 times
I wish I had a dollar for every rep point with a snide little comment attached.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 AM

515 posts, read 1,177,041 times
I'm sure the problem is systemic and not just specific to the LV forum. I wonder why the forum hasn't been updated to do something about it. I think a simple fix would be to let the receiver of a rep point have the option of deleting one rep point from the original sender. Rep points can still be anonymous but misuse for snark would have a consequence proportional to the crime.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:17 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,113,635 times
^^^

We can't even get the anonymous "wake the f$&k up" guy or girl under control or the Vegas RE haters. There is a new hater every week.

A snide rep comment is small potatoes.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM

11,144 posts, read 15,913,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
I'm sure the problem is systemic and not just specific to the LV forum. I wonder why the forum hasn't been updated to do something about it. I think a simple fix would be to let the receiver of a rep point have the option of deleting one rep point from the original sender. Rep points can still be anonymous but misuse for snark would have a consequence proportional to the crime.
There is a "fix" and there are consequences, but you have to let the moderator know about the issue. Rep comments are not completely anonymous; you may not be able to see who wrote them, but the mods can. All you need to do is let the moderator know what happened and action can be taken against the perpetrator of the "anonymous" snark.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM

23,070 posts, read 28,795,075 times
With all of our self-patrolling HOA gated communities in the Las Vegas Valley, wouldn't you think we'd need less police, as a result of it?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 AM

Update: Clark County Commissioners postpone vote on the additional 1/4 percent increase in sales tax for more cops.

A bit of a surprise, wouldn't you say? What's needed is a 5-2 vote and it's a done deal! But now, due to increasing backlash from voters emailing the commissioners, it may not pass after all!

Tom Collins held up 6 pennies at a recent meeting, stating it will only create a hardship of $22 a year for most people.

My calculator adds 2 zero's to the $22, calculating: more police pension benefits, more jail/prison expenditures, more traffic fines (money which could have been spent to help our economy), along with, invariably, more lawsuits against Metro.

I just got done emailing everyone of our commissioners and urged them all to pass it, as I just love that song: Detroit City Here I Come!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:32 PM

Anyone else surprised at the outcome of the 10/1 vote on the 2 competing tax proposals for more cops for Las Vegas? I'm all but shocked silly!

That ridiculous character Tom Collins, with the cowboy hat! He rejected the .075 percent increase, which would have given them a majority to institute that tax, and he stupidly held out for a vote on the full .15 increase, knowing full well there wouldn't have been the 5-vote majority to institute it, which was, unsurprisingly, rejected! In the end, the police get nothing more!!!

And now? Tom Collins is persisting on putting it to another vote, although in altered form. Has he been drinking too many Tom Collins?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,997,216 times
Yes, no surprises there. They are the do nothing commission, just like our members of congress.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 PM

Update!

Poor Sheriff Gillespie! He spent a whole year lobbying up in Carson City to get an additional sales tax
increased to hire more cops, and then lobbying the Clark County commissioners to pass the increased sales tax, and after the third attempt, Tuesday, on a 4-3 vote, they rejected, once again, the increased sales tax for more cops. More cops not just for Las Vegas, but more cops for Henderson, North Las Vegas, Boulder City and Mesquite.

Anyone want to send this poor guy a sympathy card?

No? No sympathy? Happy they rejected the increased sales tax?

Well, then, send Thank-you cards to those 4 Clark County Commissioners then!

The Editor of the LV Review Journal consistently opposed the sales tax increase, as unnecessary, and the majority of the Letters To The Editor, likewise, stood opposed to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas