Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
I would not buy here if you don't live here. In fact you should really live here for a year as a renter before you buy. Lots of people who move here to retire find out that they really don't like it and move out. The heat is hard on older people and it is hard to find good medical care here are the most common things I hear.
I disagree.

If someone is seriously considering moving here, buying a house and living here for one year is likely to cost nothing at all -- considering the rising real estate market.

A decent house will cost at least $12,000 per year in rent. Paying cash for a house and then selling it for the same price (or likely higher) doesn't cost anything at all -- assuming the homeowner decides he or she doesn't like the valley. Houses are STILL selling for less than their replacement cost, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Selling it for the same price or higher doesn't cost anything? Not likely. Someone has to pay the real property transfer tax at a minimum. More than likely someone will be paying for title insurance, escrow fees, realtor commissions, etc.

Plus this guy is talking about moving in 5-10 years. I guarantee things will be WAY different in 5-10 years. Look 5-10 years back and compare it to today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
A decent house will cost at least $12,000 per year in rent. Paying cash for a house and then selling it for the same price (or likely higher) doesn't cost anything at all -- assuming the homeowner decides he or she doesn't like the valley. Houses are STILL selling for less than their replacement cost, after all.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
I don't claim to have a crystal ball.

But why wait five-to-ten years to purchase investment property with retirement potential when the prices are still attractive right now? I don't recommend being a long-distance landlord, though. That's just asking for trouble.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd7000 View Post
No wonder there are so many gated communities, and HOA's in the Vegas area.

We have the copper thieves here in CT too. After one of my aunts passed away, the house sat empty for a while while it was on the market. Sure enough, it was ransacked for copper. The basement was flooded because of the missing pipes. And this is in one of our better, rural communities.

Don't know about squatters. But I'm sure that the problem isn't unique to Las Vegas.

I had pictured myself living in a nice home with a pool in a secluded section of Henderson horse country. Now I'm having visions of marauding gangs reeking havoc like in a Mad Max film. But I'm sure that it can't be that bad.... Can it?
Not even close. I live in the dreaded North Las Vegas, and have rarely locked my doors in twelve years there. You'll be fine. The copper thieves target buildings that are under construction or abandoned.

Does Henderson have horse country? I thought that was mostly in the northwest section of the valley.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM

20 posts, read 28,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Does Henderson have horse country? I thought that was mostly in the northwest section of the valley.
I've "driven" around the foothills area using Google Earth and have seen quite a few homes that have horses on the property. Although owning livestock is not the reason that attracts me to this area of Henderson. It's more for the beautiful views of the surrounding mountains, less than 30 minutes drive to an international airport, many national parks fairly close by, and, of course, Las Vegas.

As far as not liking the hot weather, I've lived in CT all my life. Been through all kinds of extreme weather. Blizzards and below zero temperatures, hurricanes, triple digit heat waves with 90+ % humidity (like we're having now.) So over 300 days a year of sunshine, with only about 4 months of intense heat sounds a lot better deal than what I've experienced these past 57 years.

Not to mention that my property taxes for a similar property to what I have now would probably decrease by about 2/3 of what I'm paying in CT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas