Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times

Advertisements

^Indeed... I still see cameras, but I had heard they do not use them for moving violations any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
I believe induction loops are now rare. Mostly imaging processing today.

Strange things do occur. Light at Buffalo and Smoke Ranch yesterday skipped at least three cycles for the northbound Buffalo traffic. Eventually the front ranks ran it. As I got to it the light started sequencing properly. I wonder if a defective camera was missing the Buffalo traffic until triggered by the motion as they started to run the light.

That was a nasty one in that the light was obviously working in all other directions so jumping it needed to be done with some care.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
I still see the loops around...

Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
you don't need a green to make a left - 3 rights makes a left.

seriously, nobody knows how to make a left turn anymore. my dad taught me. you don't "stop" at the line, you don't activate a "sensor" to get a green left turn arrow, you have a yellow arrow - you can turn when safe - you edge past the stop line out into the intersection (allowing the next guy behind you to also extend out into the intersection), far enough out into the intersection so as to commit to the turn, and turn when safe (this is unless you have a red left turn arrow, in which case you wait for a green arrow) - and if you never get a chance? - turn when oncoming traffic gets their yellow and start to stop, you are assured of a left (and at least 1 or 2 behind you, unless they are idiotic enough to have stopped at the line!).

nobody knows how to make left turns anymore so they invented the yellow arrow. back when people knew how to drive and actually had training before they got their license, the yellow arrow was assumed (unless no left turns are allowed).

oh and left turns where there are no arrows, no signs barring left turns - you know you can turn left as soon as you get a green, right? i've caught oncoming traffic napping many times.

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 07-17-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
oh and left turns where there are no arrows, no signs barring left turns - you know you can turn left as soon as you get a green, right? i've caught oncoming traffic napping many times.
Yep, you sure can. And if a cop sees you do it, you can get a ticket for failure to yield right-of-way.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Actually, not right. You may have caught oncoming traffic "napping", but oncoming traffic has the right of way before someone turning left on a solid green or solid/flashing yellow. Sure, one can floor it and cut off oncoming traffic, but that is as legal as turning left on red.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
However, at the particular intersection that the OP is referring to --Flamingo @ Swenson-- if one is traveling on Flamingo, in either direction, there is a sign that explicitly says "Left Turn on Green Arrow Only" so those of you who are saying, "just go through it when traffic is clear," are risking a moving traffic violation, correct?

But, on Swenson, turning left onto Flamingo in either direction, I believe there are no arrows at all and the sign says "Left Turn Yield on green 'ball'" ...or have they changed that one to the flashing yellow arrow?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yep, you sure can. And if a cop sees you do it, you can get a ticket for failure to yield right-of-way.
nope. if they're napping, i pass in front of them before they know whats up. and trust me, there is no peeling out in a honda civic.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
However, at the particular intersection that the OP is referring to --Flamingo @ Swenson-- if one is traveling on Flamingo, in either direction, there is a sign that explicitly says "Left Turn on Green Arrow Only" so those of you who are saying, "just go through it when traffic is clear," are risking a moving traffic violation, correct?

But, on Swenson, turning left onto Flamingo in either direction, I believe there are no arrows at all and the sign says "Left Turn Yield on green 'ball'" ...or have they changed that one to the flashing yellow arrow?
you are correct, if it says left on green arrow only, you wait your turn behind the line.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Actually, not right. You may have caught oncoming traffic "napping", but oncoming traffic has the right of way before someone turning left on a solid green or solid/flashing yellow. Sure, one can floor it and cut off oncoming traffic, but that is as legal as turning left on red.
if there are no no left turn signage, turning on green is legal. there is no regulation to speak of that states you have to wait for oncoming traffic to "go first". turn safely - no screeching brakes, no swearving to avoid, catch them napping and snooze you lose. also, see response to MadManofBethesda above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas