Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times

Advertisements

How long will you be in town? If you ever get relocated, who will be staying at your house? Anyway, the NW is a good area especially if you will be commuting to Creech. Goodluck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,007 times
Thanks everyone for your input. Right now I have an offer sitting on a house in Lone Mountain, my hopes are high that I will get it, but I'm being realistic for the time being and keeping my options open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
If I was only stationed here for 3 years, I personally would not be buying. Yes, home ownership has many advantages if you buy smartly and don't get over your head. I assume you are still single based on your BAH rate? Make sure you buy with investor eyes and have plenty of cash flow in case you need to rent it out.
I have looked at both pros and cons of renting. Honestly, I'm tired of living in apartments, the privacy of a house is huge for me. Renting a place is just giving money to someone else, when I can at least return some of it to my pocket whenever I leave. Since my housing allowance is so small - I could either rent a small house/big apartment, or I can spend it on a decent sized house and a place to call my own. I feel at this point I can definitely afford to buy a place - I'm sure there will be some financial headaches as I get used to the new bills, but nothing that will break the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkYellowRain View Post
+1 and OP, I'd stay away from NW area. You can rent places in North Summerlin just drive to your workplace.
Why would you recommend staying away from the NW area? I've seen some very nice houses up in the Lone Mountain area in my price range that are near new. Just about anywhere I look I will have a 40 minute commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Centennial Hills, North Las Vegas ( north of Ann and west of or on Camino El Norte ) are both very nice. NLV has two beautiful master planned communities with good freeway access. Aliante and Eldorado. The surrounding neighborhoods are nice as well.
Hmm, I'll take a look around this area. Being closer to store fronts would be kinda nice, although not a neccessity. Right now I drive about 45 minutes to get to the nearest Commisary to buy most of my food. Even living up in Lone Mt would put me at around 20 minutes to get just about anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
How long will you be in town? If you ever get relocated, who will be staying at your house? Anyway, the NW is a good area especially if you will be commuting to Creech. Goodluck!
I will be in town at least 3 years, if not more. If I relocated, I would probably look to sell, or possibly rent out.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Nothing wrong with Lone Mountain...actually I live there. If however this house does not work out there are two area you should strongly consider...89143 and 89166. 89143 is places like Pine Meadows, Spring Mountain Ranch and Iron Mountain. 89166 is the master plan known as Providence and nearby communities. The charm of these places is that there are new, relatively quite nice and feed the last northern entrance to 95. Worth 10 minutes each way on the commute to Creech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas