Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM

122 posts, read 260,766 times

Advertisements

My husband and daughter want to fly back to the northeast for 4-5 days leaving from Vegas. I have not flown in a few years due to a heart condition so I wanted a take on what is the current best or better airlines to fly (and destinations if possible). I can't go on the trip so he is only familiar with 2 airports in the east coast. I have flown way more then my husband but can't go on the trip. They are flexible on dates and destintations. Philly, Newark, JFK, Hatford, Albany, Boston or any airport in this general area is fine(the goal of the trip is to see family, interview for a job and see some museums or history that Vegas doesn't offer).

Right now US airways has the best price and times Vegas to Philly, non stop. I however have seen horrible reviews of us airways and philly airport. Of course every airline seems to get bad reviews these days because everyone seems mad about fees. United is the second lowest fares. Delta is next (but the times of the flights are pretty bad) and sun country had good deals but with almost a 1 day layover in MN on the way back(I almost thought it is like a mini vacation to MN, a place my daughter has never been if they let you out of the airport for the 18 hour layover?). Boston is the 2nd cheapest airport (I know this might be hard for my husband to navigate in and out of in a rental car) and Hartford if the 3rd cheapest(which would be my first choice but if I can save $250 by going to philly, why not, unless philly is that bad?)

I'm not loyal to an airline, my main concerns are delays and I don't think a red eye would work for the trip there (on the way back fine). I'm not worried about fees. I understand before I book that I have to accept baggage fees and food fees and ticket fees. I concern about flights being on time, planes maintained, and good flight times and non stressful gates/terminals.

I'm from southern Utah so there already will be a 2 hour drive (or an overnight hotel stay) before the flight.

Thanks for any insight, personal experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
I just flew usair, horrible customer service. If I didnt have miles, I would have flown southwest.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I just flew usair, horrible customer service. If I didnt have miles, I would have flown southwest.
Were they just rude, or did they cause problems that made your trip delayed? or lost your luggage? or cancelled your flight?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
I fly out of LAS several times a month and always take Southwest whenever I can. Lots of flights, pretty good on-time record, never lost my bags. They fly to most destinations you mentioned. If you're not an Rapid Rewards A-List member, I recommend spending the extra $12 for the early bird check-in to guarantee yourself a better boarding number, especially if you're not checking luggage. Your husband and daughter will be grateful.

I wouldn't worry about going to Philly, although the terminal layout isn't as passenger friendly as LAS. As a side note, if there are delays in PHL, most likely there are delays throughout the entire NE Corridor. BWI might be another option for you to consider.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
Were they just rude, or did they cause problems that made your trip delayed? or lost your luggage? or cancelled your flight?
Very rude, poor service on plane. No issues with flight or luggage (didn't have any)

Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
My husband and daughter want to fly back to the northeast for 4-5 days leaving from Vegas. I have not flown in a few years due to a heart condition so I wanted a take on what is the current best or better airlines to fly (and destinations if possible). I can't go on the trip so he is only familiar with 2 airports in the east coast. I have flown way more then my husband but can't go on the trip. They are flexible on dates and destintations. Philly, Newark, JFK, Hatford, Albany, Boston or any airport in this general area is fine(the goal of the trip is to see family, interview for a job and see some museums or history that Vegas doesn't offer).

Right now US airways has the best price and times Vegas to Philly, non stop. I however have seen horrible reviews of us airways and philly airport. Of course every airline seems to get bad reviews these days because everyone seems mad about fees. United is the second lowest fares. Delta is next (but the times of the flights are pretty bad) and sun country had good deals but with almost a 1 day layover in MN on the way back(I almost thought it is like a mini vacation to MN, a place my daughter has never been if they let you out of the airport for the 18 hour layover?). Boston is the 2nd cheapest airport (I know this might be hard for my husband to navigate in and out of in a rental car) and Hartford if the 3rd cheapest(which would be my first choice but if I can save $250 by going to philly, why not, unless philly is that bad?)

I'm not loyal to an airline, my main concerns are delays and I don't think a red eye would work for the trip there (on the way back fine). I'm not worried about fees. I understand before I book that I have to accept baggage fees and food fees and ticket fees. I concern about flights being on time, planes maintained, and good flight times and non stressful gates/terminals.

I'm from southern Utah so there already will be a 2 hour drive (or an overnight hotel stay) before the flight.

Thanks for any insight, personal experience
Personally, I like Southwest best having flown between BWI and here dozens of times with no issues. Last year, I had to fly to Albany for a funeral and USAirways was the cheapest with a stop in Detroit (very nice airport), the return trip was to Philthy (yes I spelled it correctly) just a nasty, dirty place in need of a renovation. Probably the worst airport I have been in beside O'Hare in Chicago.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
How about Southwest to Manchester, NH? OP, are you aware you will only find SW flights on their own website. They are not on Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM

Southwest is just so much more money. I have checked their website. Since school is starting back up the trip has to be in august which seems to be extra high cost. I wish I had more time but I had been hoping my health would improve so I could go but it hasn't so I decided I have to book now. I would pay more for quality but it ends up being a lot more, and less time on the trip. Right now USairways (including all the fees) is slightly under $300 a person for a non stop flight with almost ideal take departure times. Southwest is closer to $550 a person with 1 stop over and gives 1 less day (between layovers and departure times) on the east coast. United is closer to $350 a person but has layovers and bad departure times. Delta also is $350ish but has red eyes both ways which just would be too difficult.

I checked out Baltimore but the main goal is NYC-Hartford-Boston area so going further south just making the trip shorter.
Also remember my usband is already having a 2 hour commute to vegas from southern Utah.

I just want my daughter to have a nice time. I have been unable to travel due to my heart condition and she has been so supportive. She dreams of living back east again and I really want her to see family and remember what it is like. Living in southern Utah is very hard for her lately(she is the only non-Mormon in her class, and up until last year it was fine but she is getting teased badly for things like wanting to go to college/grad school or not wanting to get married till she is in her late 20's or *gasp* maybe only wanting one child). It is breaking my heart not to be able to go out there with them but in the post 911 airline world they have made it so hard for people with my condition to travel.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
If she is looking for the adventure, she might enjoy the Minnesota layover. There is a train that goes from the airport to the Mall of America.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
When people tease your daughter tell her to tell them she is making a decision which she feels is in her own best interest as who she is. Then ask the kids what they personally think is best for them? They won't have a clue and will leaver her alone or confide on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas