Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 PM

28 posts, read 134,162 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving to Las Vegas in January of 2014 from the Midwest with our 2 dogs in tow.

I've been lurking on the Las Vegas forum for a while now reading up on the different areas.

If we decide to stay longterm, we will most likely buy a house in Henderson.

However, before deciding, we would like to rent for a year and get a feel for the city closer to all the entertainment.

We've decided on the general location that we'd like to live in for it's connivence. We plan to sell one of our cars and have one car between the two of us so, walkability (or the ability to bike to some nearby places) would be nice but not always necessary.

Please tell us about the following apartment complexes:

Sahara West: Redwood St. (89146)

When compared to others, this complex is a little more expensive but seems to be the nicest and in the safest area?

Villas at Painted Desert: Decatur Blvd. (89102)

Has good reviews and the price is right. But, they changed their name after a girl was murdered years ago?! (Formerly, the Lighthouse Apartments...)

Pebble Cove: O'Bannon Dr. (89146)

Seems like a decent place. But, safety is a concern given the fact that a person with a gun was arrested (at the complex?) this month.

--

Any information about these complexes and the general areas would be greatly appreciated!

-Maipenrai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
If you are planning on buying a house in Henderson why don't you move in an apt complex in Henderson so you can have a feel of the area?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I would strongly advise you to keep both cars. No place is " walkable" when it's 110 outside. I also agree with the poster above who says that if you are going to buy in Henderson, rent in Henderson. It's not like Henderson is so far away from the strip that you can't drive there in twenty minutes or so.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
I second NVGAL's advice....keep both cars.

You'll need both...two people cannot share a car here unless they have the same shift at the same employer.

It just doesn't work.

On a mot so serious mote...check out Shelter Island...

Old 07-28-2013, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the input.

Henderson seems like the ideal place to live if we choose to buy down the line but, initially, it will be important that we stay in the 89146 area for the first year. Working different shifts won't be an issue. And, we do not want to have to commute to the city daily. At least at first...

Keeping both cars is an option. We'll strongly consider it.

If you had to choose one of the three areas in my first post, which one would you choose to live in and why?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maipenrai View Post
Thanks for the input.

Henderson seems like the ideal place to live if we choose to buy down the line but, initially, it will be important that we stay in the 89146 area for the first year. Working different shifts won't be an issue. And, we do not want to have to commute to the city daily. At least at first...

Keeping both cars is an option. We'll strongly consider it.

If you had to choose one of the three areas in my first post, which one would you choose to live in and why?
Commute to the city? Have you been here before? The Las Vegas valley is comprised of the City of Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, and unincorporated Clark County ( which includes the LV strip). It's all connected. You won't know when you are in one township or another because there is no distance between them. It's one big valley.

It's not like you'll be driving between cities, more like driving between neighborhoods.

The highest crime areas are near the strip. The further out, the better the neighborhoods. I have no idea about zip codes. We use major cross streets here to define what's a good area and what's sketchy.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:49 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Those past crime incidents don't really mean much. You need to look more for patterns or trends. ONE person being arrested for a gun or even a SINGLE murder a couple of years ago shows an isolated incident, not the result of a dangerous complex or zip code. Crazy people move everywhere.

Sent from watch

Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
Quote:
Crazy people move everywhere.

Sent from watch
Yes, yes we do!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 PM

168 posts, read 212,189 times
Keep both cars.

Is there a specific reason why you need to live in that general area?
Location doesn't really matter travel wise in Las Vegas. If you live close (5 mins) to any freeway you are 25 mins or less from anywhere you need/want to go.

Green Valle
Silverado Ranch.
Summerlin/Centennial

Anything in these areas will generally be a nice location to live.

Our freeway system is basically a big X and a Circle around the city. The only real freeway neglect area is on the base of the east side Sunrise mountain where I live now which can take 5-15 mins sometimes to get on the 95.

You could live in that Sahara West complex and still be 15 mins away (stoplights and heavy traffic in these surface streets) from all the entertainment or you could live in Silverado Ranch/Green Valley and get there in the same time by using the freeway....while being in a much better living area.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the information everyone.

NLVgal, I have been to Las Vegas once on business. It will be my girlfriend's first time there. We are both well travelled and spent years living in the U.S. and abroad.

We realize that public transportation is not reliable there and we will need car(s).

That said, I personally dislike driving the highway (call it a pet peeve of mine). I regularly go out of my way to avoid it. My girlfriend however, does not mind commuting to work within reason. So, she will have no problem getting around.

Monstersizin, we'd like to live in that general area because all areas within 5 miles of my work. I'm an active person and plan on biking to and from work for the first year.

I'm sure the summers will be hot but, not any hotter than summers where I've lived before and done it.

Thanks for posting the map. I will compare the areas you mentioned to the one's we've already looked at.

--

Generally speaking, are there any areas known for crime, gang activity, etc that we should avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas