Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:37 AM

78 posts, read 176,605 times

Advertisements

Von,

That is actually EXACTLY what I want to do LOL. Creative design. Seriously. But it's such a specific job, I have no idea what the "title" is. I just love other aspects of marketing too, like PR and doing campaign pitches. But the creative side is what I have always wanted to do as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM

402 posts, read 745,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I couldn't get a close friend or family member employed. You fill out the application on the website and hope and wait, just like everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl2LVNV View Post
I have to concur with ScoopLV. Unless your specialization is so narrow that requires a nationwide search, then the process is certainly very slow. Family members are held to the same standards as others. In fact, for certain positions and duties the employment of a family member must be approved at the upper levels of the company.

I had a somewhat fast hire process because I do have a very narrow field of expertise that required a nationwide search (I was living on the East coast). My interviews took place over Facetime with my boss. I was offered the job on the second interview.

Once I accepted the job offer, it took a while for the background check because in my case it was rather extensive (the background check has various levels of scrutiny that are based on position and/or duties). The drug test is a hair follicle test, but that was rather easy as the company arranged for the sample to be taken at a test site in my then-state.

Overall, I'm very happy, but I also work within a very unusual and tight small team that is narrowly specialized. I can't speak for back-of-the-house positions or F&B, Housekeeping, etc.
In a way, I think it's great that they take that road. In another way, it's incredibly hard to believe that they really are that way in a town where who you know and greasing palms is a way of life. Good for them....probably. I appreciate everyone who responded privately as well.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM

210 posts, read 449,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamcake View Post
Von,

That is actually EXACTLY what I want to do LOL. Creative design. Seriously. But it's such a specific job, I have no idea what the "title" is. I just love other aspects of marketing too, like PR and doing campaign pitches. But the creative side is what I have always wanted to do as a kid.
I don't think you actually want Advertising department per se. I think you want to work in the Graphic Arts department as a Jr. Designer or Production Asst. You may want to look into some local advertising companies like R&R Partners or Sk+G to see if they will let you tour their facilities. Look at the four AAAA's website to get a better understanding of the industry.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 PM

78 posts, read 176,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd3easy View Post
I don't think you actually want Advertising department per se. I think you want to work in the Graphic Arts department as a Jr. Designer or Production Asst. You may want to look into some local advertising companies like R&R Partners or Sk+G to see if they will let you tour their facilities. Look at the four AAAA's website to get a better understanding of the industry.
Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look into this. I steered away from graphic arts because I always avoided official art classes in college. I'm someone who can design straight out of Photoshop, but knows nothing about technical art terms or perspective... and I definitely can't draw anything but stick figures.

It's so hard because I have multiple interests within the same general field. I love writing (good for PR) but I also love designing (good for design).

Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 PM

210 posts, read 449,565 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look into this. I steered away from graphic arts because I always avoided official art classes in college. I'm someone who can design straight out of Photoshop, but knows nothing about technical art terms or perspective... and I definitely can't draw anything but stick figures.

It's so hard because I have multiple interests within the same general field. I love writing (good for PR) but I also love designing (good for design).
That's why for you, it's critically important that you get an up close view of these area's to develop an understanding of where your skill set and talent fits best. Copy writing perhaps? Good luck in your search.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times
Quote:

Not having a technical understanding of the out put stage of design is a serious flaw/shortcoming if you are doing it (design) professionally. whether you are designing for print or for manufacturing, you NEED to be technically gifted to really excel in design. What good is it to design something that can not be printed or manufactured, it's a waste of time and resources.

I've been a professional designer for 30+ years... and I can tell you, the design aspects here in Vegas are really limited. it's mainly print and advertising(which is basically print) based. there is very little, if any, significant manufacturing design being done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas