Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM

171 posts, read 218,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
You didnt read my whole post, the unit keeps my house at a constant 71, I want the unit to run more.

A/c units that dont shut off and on constantly, last much longer.

I've already mentioned in past posts that a/c compressors dont like frequent cycling, it wears them out much quicker, along with capacitors and contactors.. My long run times will greatly extend the life of my unit and its related parts.

An air conditioner that cycles too frequently is not achieving anywhere near its seer rating, you need long run times to achieve full efficiency.
A quick question, you set the stat at 71, because 71 is your most comfort temp for your body or your a/c unit needs 71 to run constantly at most efficient level?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Log into your account, and on the top right it says "Smart Meter Usage". Click the "Show My Energy Use" arrow below that. On the graph dropdown, select 15-minute energy usage. It will look something like this if you shut down the house between 1p and 7p (which we do anyway, YMMV). Notice between 1p and 7p it's virtually 0 when the rates jump to $.33/kwh
I remember that you said you recently signed up for TOU, but are you sure you're officially on the plan? The only reason I ask is because my smart meter was removed and replaced with a TOU meter shortly after I enrolled in TOU last summer. The TOU meter that I have does not show usage stats online like the smart meter I had (and you currently have). I wasn't on TOU rates until the new billing cycle started after the new meter was installed. All I'm saying is that you might want to check with NVEnergy if you recently enrolled and confirm with someone who handles TOU, not the regular customer service schmucks. I got different answers from different people, and it was the TOU personnel who were correct. Based on my experience, you just might be shutting down your house when it's not (yet) necessary.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Log into your account, and on the top right it says "Smart Meter Usage". Click the "Show My Energy Use" arrow below that. On the graph dropdown, select 15-minute energy usage. It will look something like this if you shut down the house between 1p and 7p (which we do anyway, YMMV). Notice between 1p and 7p it's virtually 0 when the rates jump to $.33/kwh
Good for you. This will definitely save you a lot of money. Have you got your bill yet since your switch?

Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKBL View Post
A quick question, you set the stat at 71, because 71 is your most comfort temp for your body or your a/c unit needs 71 to run constantly at most efficient level?.
When I went with the smaller unit, I intended to run it up around 76 degrees and I thought it would run constantly in hot weather. My wife however decided she wanted it down lower and I figured the temp in the house would creep up quite a bit during the day but so far, it hasn't moved above 71, not even on the 117 degree day we had.

Mind you, I also added a ton of insulation to the attic this spring and that helped a lot also.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
I remember that you said you recently signed up for TOU, but are you sure you're officially on the plan? The only reason I ask is because my smart meter was removed and replaced with a TOU meter shortly after I enrolled in TOU last summer. The TOU meter that I have does not show usage stats online like the smart meter I had (and you currently have). I wasn't on TOU rates until the new billing cycle started after the new meter was installed. All I'm saying is that you might want to check with NVEnergy if you recently enrolled and confirm with someone who handles TOU, not the regular customer service schmucks. I got different answers from different people, and it was the TOU personnel who were correct. Based on my experience, you just might be shutting down your house when it's not (yet) necessary.
I have no idea if I'm on it or not LOL.. but this will give us good practice and acclimate ourselves, should we ever be home between 1:00 and 7:00. I just walked in the door and the house is at 84.. a little too warm for my liking, so we may lower the 10:00-1:00 time slot by a few degrees to get the house a bit cooler going into the 6 hour window.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Good for you. This will definitely save you a lot of money. Have you got your bill yet since your switch?
Not yet, just the estimated bill which is going up at a MUCH lower rate than it did last month. We only started doing this last Friday, so it's been less than a week. Last month we paid $10/day. So far MTD we're at $8/day. August will be our first full month using this strategy.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
When I went with the smaller unit, I intended to run it up around 76 degrees and I thought it would run constantly in hot weather. My wife however decided she wanted it down lower and I figured the temp in the house would creep up quite a bit during the day but so far, it hasn't moved above 71, not even on the 117 degree day we had.

Mind you, I also added a ton of insulation to the attic this spring and that helped a lot also.
It's nice you have a new unit and more insulation to the attic, which i believe will reduce your utility bill a lot. However, I would be very worried if any of my units runs constantly for a long period of time at any thermostat setting.

BTW, I happen to have a Ph. D. in chemical engineering specializing in thermochemical engineering, which covers heat exchangers, heat sinks, cooling systems including a/c, heating systems, etc.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

It makes no sense at all not to. The only ones who benefit are NVenergy and BERK-A & B stockholders.
That would be me. Thank you

Sent from a rotary payphone using Tapatalk 3.7

Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Tiger, if your unit runs almost constantly, either you set the stat temp too low or the unit is simply not able to handle the house.

Think about it, each A/C unit has a life, 10 or 15 yrs. But more precisely the life should be measured by hours of running, just like the life of a light bulb measured by hrs. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:

BTW, I happen to have a Ph. D. in chemical engineering specializing in thermochemical engineering, which covers heat exchangers, heat sinks, cooling systems including a/c, heating systems, etc.
Ohhh - And you think statement above is correct?

Academicians - God protect us all.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Would you please screen grab this? I don't have any "Smart Meter Usage" or "Show My Energy Use."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas