Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scociny View Post
So sad! This is why I don't want my hubby to get a motorcycle! I have seen motorcycles driving in between cars lots of times when I am out. In California, it was like the dotted line was there own special lane.
My own opinion is they should raise the minimum age for motorcycle licenses substantially. Too many 18 year old punks think they are invincible on a machine that is capable of doing 170+ MPH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
My own opinion is they should raise the minimum age for motorcycle licenses substantially. Too many 18 year old punks think they are invincible on a machine that is capable of doing 170+ MPH.
It's not an age thing it's an experience thing. Graduated licenses for motorcycles makes nothing but sense. There's no reason why someone with little no no experience can walk in the dealer and buy the latest gixxer one million.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
It's not an age thing it's an experience thing. Graduated licenses for motorcycles makes nothing but sense. There's no reason why someone with little no no experience can walk in the dealer and buy the latest gixxer one million.
this isn't russia. is this russia? this isn't russia.

we don't need to be a granny state. not that i like or drink big gulps.

they bought their tickets. they knew what they were getting into. i say, let'm crash.

for the kids out there, the preceding was a quote from the abrams and zucker bros. movie Airplane!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:41 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
I am ALL about freedom to do just about anything one wants as long as it doesn't hurt me or cost me money. Ridiculous children on incredibly powerful machines can do both.. physically on the road, and monetarily in insurance premiums.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
this isn't russia. is this russia? this isn't russia.

we don't need to be a granny state. not that i like or drink big gulps.

they bought their tickets. they knew what they were getting into. i say, let'm crash.

for the kids out there, the preceding was a quote from the abrams and zucker bros. movie Airplane!
What you're neglecting to take into account is that you and I are paying the price for their mistakes in higher insurance premiums.

Full coverage on a Japanese $11k sports bike (please stop saying crotch rocket) runs ~$2000 a year.

We regulate stupidity in this Country and if we're going to do that we might as well do it right.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
What you're neglecting to take into account is that you and I are paying the price for their mistakes in higher insurance premiums.

Full coverage on a Japanese $11k sports bike (please stop saying crotch rocket) runs ~$2000 a year.

We regulate stupidity in this Country and if we're going to do that we might as well do it right.
so you assume that new regulations / laws will bring insurance rates down, because, what - the insurance company will see the light?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
so you assume that new regulations / laws will bring insurance rates down, because, what - the insurance company will see the light?
Graduated license = Less accidents
Less accidents = lower claims
lower claims = lower payouts
lower payouts = lower premiums

It's not coincidental that the insurance on my Ducati is less than it was on my Honda. It's because less squids can afford a Ducati. The bike attracts a more "mature" crowd that have less accidents. Again less claims equals lower rates, fact.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Graduated license = Less accidents
let's start here. with a gL, this would prevent a new bike rider from, say, buying a 1000cc bike and killing himself. what's to stop him from buying a used 125cc enduro and killing himself? or would killing himself have no affect on 1000cc insurance rates? well maybe if he totalled a mercedes coupe in the process, whatever. i did read your whole post, so your counter argument is:
Quote:
Less accidents = lower claims
lower claims = lower payouts
lower payouts = lower premiums
i don't buy that. i don't think insurance companies would respond at all to lower claims. the price you pay maybe, maybe wouldn't increase in that case. they already squeezed this amount of blood form the stone, they will not want less blood. it's all about the almightly dollar.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
And that's why people should buy insurance from mutual insurance companies -- well, low-risk drivers should. There are no shareholders to pay off, and there is no profit motive with a mutual. Anyone who doesn't like the rates quoted by a mutual should look in the mirror for the source of the problem.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
let's start here. with a gL, this would prevent a new bike rider from, say, buying a 1000cc bike and killing himself. what's to stop him from buying a used 125cc enduro and killing himself? or would killing himself have no affect on 1000cc insurance rates? well maybe if he totalled a mercedes coupe in the process, whatever. i did read your whole post, so your counter argument is:i don't buy that. i don't think insurance companies would respond at all to lower claims. the price you pay maybe, maybe wouldn't increase in that case. they already squeezed this amount of blood form the stone, they will not want less blood. it's all about the almightly dollar.
Then explain how certain brands of motorcycles with the same displacement, costing twice as much, have lower rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas