Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 06:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
First off it is not really true. I see breaker boxes all sorts of places...I do see the main electrical cutoff being with the meter. And meter location in residential housing is generally specified by the supplying utility as an external wall.

Past that however a thousand flowers bloom. My home has main panel on the garage external wall and sub panels on the garage interior and the swimming pool equipment enclosure.

Saw a big house with a simple disconnect at the meter and a half dozen panels mounted elsewhere including a big one in the master bedroom study.

I would think they are driven to the external location by the meters. Meter location is driven by the pwer company.

They are in no way even remotely water proof...though they are shielded from direct exposure.
I said typically???? Hello, anybody home? Do people typically live in homes with multiple sub panels? I don't, do you? Sub panels can be installed on garage walls without suedo rated walls only if the rated wall extends to the underside of the roof sheathing. Opps, we forgot about 2 storys where the walls are all drywalled? It's just easier to do it one way problem solved.

It's possible that you live in an area that still has common sense and not run away with the intent of the code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:13 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I said typically???? Hello, anybody home? Do people typically live in homes with multiple sub panels? I don't, do you?
Yes he does.

He stated "My home has main panel on the garage external wall and sub panels on the garage interior and the swimming pool equipment enclosure"

Did you read his post?

Multiple panels are not at all uncommon. We have them as a result of an addition added as well as pool equipment.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Geez, I have too go outside and wipe the snow off my satellite dish, but not once did I have to go outside to reset a breaker. You people don't understand all that goes into this. If you're tripping breaker you have a problem and should call an electrical contractor to fix your overloading issue.

If your panel is in a basement most likely you're in an older home, or I just don't understand the East.
LOL.

Well, apparently, you also fall into the category of "you people."

You don't understand why everyone in the East has the panel inside the house or garage, and everyone from the East doesn't understand why it's placed on an outside wall in the West. I'm not debating which is better, I just wanted to know the rationale for why it is done differently depending upon where in the country you live. And so far, no one - - not even you - - has been able to answer that difinitively.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 PM

135 posts, read 293,360 times
My old KB home built in 2002 had it inside the garage.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL.

Well, apparently, you also fall into the category of "you people."

You don't understand why everyone in the East has the panel inside the house or garage, and everyone from the East doesn't understand why it's placed on an outside wall in the West. I'm not debating which is better, I just wanted to know the rationale for why it is done differently depending upon where in the country you live. And so far, no one - - not even you - - has been able to answer that difinitively.
I do realize building code is difficult for some.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
My old KB home built in 2002 had it inside the garage.
My home here in Northern Nevada built in 2002 does have it on the exterior.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:02 PM

The code is nationwide, and is really not very different now. It was regional 10 or so years ago.

Exterior panels have solved numerous issues of penetrating a rated membrane, and solved additional costs of clearance issues required at the panels themselves. Maybe next time you're in Vegas you can go to the building department and ask why?

Last edited by observer53; 08-04-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 10:53 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
The main panel is outside homes in Vegas because of hardly any snow, it's cheaper for the builders, and the fire dept can get to it quickly.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
I am still somewhat skeptical that meter and entry point is driven by anyone other than the power company. They have a simple tool - If you do not put it where they want it they won't provide power.

Quick check says that is the case on Long Island and northern NJ. We had an external meter in Rochester though I do not remember where the panel was.

I suspect you can put the panel wherever...but it is cheapest by the meter.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Meter on the outside......breaker box on the inside.

That is the RIGHT way to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas