Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
i am in total agreement with you. i'll take under employment anyday of the week, and twice on thursdays.
Yep, and the people I am referring to can't even get that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,012,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
My stepdaughter got offered a job as a hostess at Applebees within the first 2 weeks. Would have been sooner had she started applying sooner. She ended up moving to California shortly after we got here and didn't accept the job, but the point is, she had a job offer almost immediately after moving here. Another friend of ours has had numerous job offers in the accounting field, but she's more picky and didn't want to take a $15/hour job. Those are the only 2 people I personally know who were/are seeking employment. My stepdaughter found it better to take the "pound the pavement" approach and simply went to every restaurant on Stephanie until someone said yes. My other friend has been using Craigslist solely. She could have had a job as soon as she started looking, but is more selective in what pay is acceptable to her. The point being, if you are willing to accept a job, they are out there. Persistence seems to be the key, as she did say it is difficult to get a callback once an application or resume is submitted.
But would YOU have been willing to take ANY job on moving to Las Vegas? You are fortunate enough to have a job that you can work from anywhere. It's easy to suggest to someone else to take any job. Sometimes you need a certain amount of pay for whatever reasons.

Don't take this the wrong way, I wasn't busting your chops. I was just making a comment.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
For every member on this board that is struggling to find work, there are 2-3 times as many that are gainfully employed. I say, we all should network to help those that are looking.

I have help two members on here find ($12-15 hour)jobs. Both have quit so far.

Sent from watch
You have to realize that $12-$15/hour is not going to cut it for people well on in their careers. The fact that they quit tells you that.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
You have to realize that $12-$15/hour is not going to cut it for people well on in their careers. The fact that they quit tells you that.
Understood. I just try to help however I can. When unemployment runs out, then what?

For the record(to whoever sent the comment) these jobs were not "dead end" jobs. Sure the pay STARTED out at only $12-$15 an hour but it also included bonuses plus potential to reach up to $18 an hour within a year or two. After $18 then comes $40K salary + bonuses. Once you hit salary, sky's the limit.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:17 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
I applied for 7.25 an hour jobs. Nothing. Even jobs I have extensive experience in.
I'm having to jump through hoops to get a cab driver job and spend 160 bucks.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
I applied for 7.25 an hour jobs. Nothing. Even jobs I have extensive experience in.
I'm having to jump through hoops to get a cab driver job and spend 160 bucks.
Yeah see, that's CRAZY!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 PM

238 posts, read 575,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I spent years as a child in CA, (Los Angels area) so being in Las Vegas made it convenient for me to "go home" to visit now and again. Unfortunately, finances restricted those trips but when I move back to LV, I plan to visit CA at least three or four times a year. Things I like about living in Las Vegas included proximity to other states, the weather (yes, even the hot summer), the large number of restaurants, stores and free shows. Let's see.. I also liked the people, the inexpensive rent, the seeing mountains in every direction and the wonderful public transit system.
Is the public transit system really good there? Could you live in Las Vegas without having a car and get around efficiently? I was curious...i live in NYC and here of course it is easy to go car-less and i have for many years...I would like a milder climate and visited LV many years ago so i know it certainly has lots to do there...I'm retired and could live anywhere...

I have also considered florida...but there i know i would HAVE to have a car as the the public transit is a joke...How is LV in comparison?

Curious

Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM

932 posts, read 2,346,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
Is the public transit system really good there? Could you live in Las Vegas without having a car and get around efficiently?
No. Don't even consider it if you need to get out regularly and can't walk to your destination. Public transit here is mediocre on its best day, horrible on its worst.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 PM

238 posts, read 575,900 times
Thanks for the warning...i had a feeling that was the case...I would imagine Los Angeles is probably a lot better for that but of course, cost of living there is also much higher then LV in general...

Last edited by craig10x; 08-26-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM

13 posts, read 29,959 times
Thanks everyone for all your opinions and such... It's really helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas