Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,966,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Man, sometimes you are so negative but other days you make such good contributions....you have a love hate relationship with this place methinks...
I assure you, I have a hate-hate relationship with Las Vegas. It absolutely sucks that I love my wife more than I hate Las Vegas. Otherwise you would see the smoke from my tires as I blew out of here, never to return. Make no mistake, nothing will make me happier than getting the [censored] out of this low-standards, mediocre, ignorant, tawdry, dirty, sleazy, stinking town.

But since I am stuck here, I may as well do everything I can to make the best of it. Encouraging people to eat better food and spend less on energy are my sole contributions to my community. But it's something, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,429,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
It's definitely going to be the norm for my wife. I got about 30 more years left in me. (I'm 33 now) every single male on my side of the family dies before the age of 60 or right at 60. My dad had two stroke last year that left him not able to walk, talk, eat or poop on his own. One more stroke and he is gone. (He is 57) my granddad died from a stroke at 55. His dad died at 50 from a heart attack. Got 3 uncles that passed from heart attacks and alcohol poisoning. All under 60.

On the flip side of the equation is my wife's family history.

My wife has about 60+ more years to go. Her grandma is still alive and kicking at 97, her great grandma died at 109, and her mom died at 101. Even more interesting is that her family has three times as many medical issues than my family. Her mom has already had a heart attack, stroke, and has thyroid disease. Grandma has had 3 strokes, Parkinson's, arthritis, and brain tumor. Great grandma had a heart attack and lupus. My wife so far has thyroid.

I guess it's all hereditary.

Sent from watch
So you have nothing to worry about. Since your wife will live much longer than you, she can take care of you.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 PM

390 posts, read 753,755 times
Don t count yourself out....50 cousins, about 40 gone....uncles all died before 62. Dad died at 57, Mom at 60 - still going at 66 with normal blood pressure, below average cholestrol and drinking wine every night at 66! Could die tomorrow, but so far so good. Only so much to attribute to family history! BTW no meds so far,lol.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,471,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post

Of course potion control is important.
Ah, yes...POTION control is very important!
...Every good alchemists knows that!

Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM

930 posts, read 1,814,951 times
my sister recently had to be in two different "skilled nursing" facilities, and both times, she entered them with very reasonable rehab possibilities and goals, and both times she ended back in the hospital. she ended up with a staff infection (mrsa) from the first. fine going in, very bad going out.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,928,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
It's definitely going to be the norm for my wife. I got about 30 more years left in me. (I'm 33 now) every single male on my side of the family dies before the age of 60 or right at 60. My dad had two stroke last year that left him not able to walk, talk, eat or poop on his own. One more stroke and he is gone. (He is 57) my granddad died from a stroke at 55. His dad died at 50 from a heart attack. Got 3 uncles that passed from heart attacks and alcohol poisoning. All under 60.

On the flip side of the equation is my wife's family history.

My wife has about 60+ more years to go. Her grandma is still alive and kicking at 97, her great grandma died at 109, and her mom died at 101. Even more interesting is that her family has three times as many medical issues than my family. Her mom has already had a heart attack, stroke, and has thyroid disease. Grandma has had 3 strokes, Parkinson's, arthritis, and brain tumor. Great grandma had a heart attack and lupus. My wife so far has thyroid.

I guess it's all hereditary.

Sent from watch
Never know though, if your family had lived longer they may have experienced all the same things her family did. I'm telling you....it's scary. I've recently had three people I know keel from brain aneurysms. Two, the younger ones, died right away. The older one is still going. One moment fine, next dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I assure you, I have a hate-hate relationship with Las Vegas. It absolutely sucks that I love my wife more than I hate Las Vegas. Otherwise you would see the smoke from my tires as I blew out of here, never to return. Make no mistake, nothing will make me happier than getting the [censored] out of this low-standards, mediocre, ignorant, tawdry, dirty, sleazy, stinking town.

But since I am stuck here, I may as well do everything I can to make the best of it. Encouraging people to eat better food and spend less on energy are my sole contributions to my community. But it's something, at least.
I don't know how old you are, but to have the hate feeling for where you live every day just doesn't seem worth it to me. Does your wife like it here? Maybe you should start commuting and at least spend some time enjoying your existence. Life is short. Spend a buck and find the enjoyment while you can. When I move back to MI to be with family, I will detest the weather there, but I will enjoy existing there.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

I don't know how old you are, but to have the hate feeling for where you live every day just doesn't seem worth it to me. Does your wife like it here? Maybe you should start commuting and at least spend some time enjoying your existence. Life is short. Spend a buck and find the enjoyment while you can. When I move back to MI to be with family, I will detest the weather there, but I will enjoy existing there.
No, my wife also can't stand it here. There is simply nothing here that particularly interests us. There are great concerts and restaurants. That's good. But most of North America is within driving distance of great concerts and restaurants.

1) I think gambling is a pointless waste of time.
2) I hate car culture.
3) I hate big cities. Give me a small town any day.
4) I need to live near the ocean. If I can't smell salt air, I'm not home.
5) The best places in the world are populated by geeks, nerds and eccentrics. Las Vegas isn't it. Las Vegas has too many scammers, druggies and panhandlers.

Finally, where are we going to commute from? Look at a map. There is NOTHING in the immediate vicinity. This is an oasis of sleaze in a desert of mediocre surrounded by SoCal traffic.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,139,125 times
^^^

I actually thought you were a car guy. Wasn't that you that said that you never miss an episode of Top Gear?

Sent from watch

Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,928,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, my wife also can't stand it here. There is simply nothing here that particularly interests us. There are great concerts and restaurants. That's good. But most of North America is within driving distance of great concerts and restaurants.

1) I think gambling is a pointless waste of time.
2) I hate car culture.
3) I hate big cities. Give me a small town any day.
4) I need to live near the ocean. If I can't smell salt air, I'm not home.
5) The best places in the world are populated by geeks, nerds and eccentrics. Las Vegas isn't it. Las Vegas has too many scammers, druggies and panhandlers.

Finally, where are we going to commute from? Look at a map. There is NOTHING in the immediate vicinity. This is an oasis of sleaze in a desert of mediocre surrounded by SoCal traffic.
I'm saying, YOU commute back and forth from the salty air! Get a place in San Diego or the Keys...being a chef (?), you could probably find work in either of those places 6 mos out of the year. Can't the MIL live in San Diego? Just think it is kind of sad to absolutely hate everything about where you live.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I'm saying, YOU commute back and forth from the salty air! Get a place in San Diego or the Keys...being a chef (?), you could probably find work in either of those places 6 mos out of the year. Can't the MIL live in San Diego? Just think it is kind of sad to absolutely hate everything about where you live.
MIL could live wherever she wants. But she absolutely loves it here. I don't see what she (or anyone else, for that matter) sees in this city. She also thinks gambling is dumb. But she hates taxes and loves a bargain. So maybe that's it. I never talk to her about it. She's old and set in her ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: