Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I honestly can't tell the difference between a Californian or a Vegas local.

...just showed one of my co-workers this thread. He laughed at the Cali comments. He is at the crossroads since he has been stationed here 12 years and is originally from Cali.

Does that make him a Vegas local?

Sent from watch

I thought the rule was you had to survive one full, May-to-September Vegas Summer to be considered a "local". Of course, we know that the true locals are anyone whose been in town 10 years or longer and certainly if you were there 20 years or more. If you were born and raised in Vegas and stayed there your whole life, then you're most definitely a "local" and probably on the Endangered Species list too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 04:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I love how, when something isn't kosher in Vegas, the default blame always goes to California this or California that...

What about that poor California Highway Patrolman who was just killed during a car-jacking by a Vegas local last weekend? Oh, I get it...the Vegas local who did that lived in California for two years... 20 years ago, so it's California's fault again...ho hum!

Is it above any of you to ever admit that many of Vegas' problems might be of its own creation?

I, as a Californian, love your town and love to come over and visit, and if it weren't for people like myself and that poor Highway Patrolman, you'd look like Searchlight or Laughlin!
Well you might have left the carjacker in California...

So a guy who is a lead at a Whole Food store in CA becomes a local when he commits a crime?

"Becker said Montgomery works at a Whole Foods supermarket in Tustin and was a "lawful person" who was injured and shaken by the incident. The attorney said his client had been in Las Vegas with his girlfriend, and had been staying at another hotel on the Strip. Her children were not with them, Becker said."

Got to admit though the last place I would have thought we needed to upgrade security was valet parking.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
I never quite got the "rivalry" between Las Vegas and California. 33% of the visitors to Las Vegas.. For fiscal reasons, I certainly wouldn't like to see that number go down.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I love how, when something isn't kosher in Vegas, the default blame always goes to California this or California that...

What about that poor California Highway Patrolman who was just killed during a car-jacking by a Vegas local last weekend? Oh, I get it...the Vegas local who did that lived in California for two years... 20 years ago, so it's California's fault again...ho hum!

Is it above any of you to ever admit that many of Vegas' problems might be of its own creation?

I, as a Californian, love your town and love to come over and visit, and if it weren't for people like myself and that poor Highway Patrolman, you'd look like Searchlight or Laughlin!
Yeah, it's safe to say that California gets blamed for everything all over the country especially in Las Vegas (gangs in Boise/Nampa, Salt Lake City, Omaha and Des Moines all from L.A. and all of the water from the CO river gets used by us ). I'm from So Cal and I, too, love Las Vegas. Been going there since about 1977 when I was in grade school. I loved to stand under the Dunes sign at night and look up while watching the neon go up and then down, go up and then down and for some reason loved the Marina logo. Anyways, I don't take it personal. There is CA riff raff that does go to Las Vegas to cause problems and Las Vegas has their own local degenerates. And yes, if it wasn't for us Californians going there in droves to spend our money on the Strip or buying and flipping homes Las Vegas would be Baker's twin brother. Viva Las Vegas.

-Cheers.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Yeah, it's safe to say that California gets blamed for everything all over the country especially in Las Vegas (gangs in Boise/Nampa, Salt Lake City, Omaha and Des Moines all from L.A. and all of the water from the CO river gets used by us ). I'm from So Cal and I, too, love Las Vegas. Been going there since about 1977 when I was in grade school. I loved to stand under the Dunes sign at night and look up while watching the neon go up and then down, go up and then down and for some reason loved the Marina logo. Anyways, I don't take it personal. There is CA riff raff that does go to Las Vegas to cause problems and Las Vegas has their own local degenerates. And yes, if it wasn't for us Californians going there in droves to spend our money on the Strip or buying and flipping homes Las Vegas would be Baker's twin brother. Viva Las Vegas.

-Cheers.
Uhhh No. without the strip as the base industry Las Vegas would be a much smaller city. But anyplace with the climate and physical location and the water is going to do pretty weil.

And it might have done very weill in that alternate universe. Say Howard Hughes had pulled off his plan to move here...Followed by a good part of CA aerotech. Not Los Angeles certainly...but perhaps a quite good sized city of another sort.

And you know in a number of ways Las Vegas is a California city.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I never quite got the "rivalry" between Las Vegas and California. 33% of the visitors to Las Vegas.. For fiscal reasons, I certainly wouldn't like to see that number go down.
California is like a sister state to Nevada. WE can pick on her, but don't let anybody else do it, or else.

Seriously, I've been here for a very long time and I can say that aside from the hideous driving patterns, the Californicators have brought more good than bad to the valley. I can remember a time when the only music available was country western. Some people like that music, others do not. Count me among the latter.

Choice is good, people.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 7,758 times
I agree vegas is a getto, low paying jobs, employers that exploit their employees.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbiker221 View Post
I agree vegas is a getto, low paying jobs, employers that exploit their employees.

Well, it's getting worse so far as "ghetto" goes. It was never that way years ago. I've seen a decline since the economy tanked. More crime, more destruction of once nice neighborhoods, I even see roving security officers in shopping centers that never, ever, had them before.

A small little town turned big city really fast with all the problems that go along with it. Unfortunately.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Well, it's getting worse so far as "ghetto" goes. It was never that way years ago. I've seen a decline since the economy tanked. More crime, more destruction of once nice neighborhoods, I even see roving security officers in shopping centers that never, ever, had them before.

A small little town turned big city really fast with all the problems that go along with it. Unfortunately.
Nonsense. Crime is down substantially over the last ten years.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
But urban sprawl is up substantially over the last 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas