Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times

Advertisements

Crime happens anywhere where you pack people together in large quantities. Being a gambling/entertainment mecca, as Las Vegas is, compounds the issue further. I think some people literally "cash in" whatever morals they have while they're visiting. That, plus all of the local issues to contend with.

What really surprised me was that Los Angeles and San Diego were recently rated as some of the safest large cities in the U.S.

I didn't expect that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Crime happens anywhere where you pack people together in large quantities. Being a gambling/entertainment mecca, as Las Vegas is, compounds the issue further. I think some people literally "cash in" whatever morals they have while they're visiting. That, plus all of the local issues to contend with.

What really surprised me was that Los Angeles and San Diego were recently rated as some of the safest large cities in the U.S.

I didn't expect that at all.
Las Vegas was rated 122 out of 279 cities above 100,000. Henderson was in the 20s.

Crime by zip code varies over 1000 to 1.

Yes crime occurs everywhere but there is a huge difference in how often it occurs.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Now you got it!
You understand that what is being said when stated "I would be shocked if a city of 600,000 didn't have more crime than the national average" is simply that a city of 600,000 has a higher rate of incident (number of occurrences) of crime than a city of 6,600 people right?

That does not mean that the city of 600,000 is more dangerous, it simply means that simply due to population number there are more rates of incident (occurrences).

Given the population differences the city of 6,600 could well have worse crime or, be more dangerous per capita than the city of 600,000 people.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
You understand that what is being said when stated "I would be shocked if a city of 600,000 didn't have more crime than the national average" is simply that a city of 600,000 has a higher rate of incident (number of occurrences) of crime than a city of 6,600 people right?

That does not mean that the city of 600,000 is more dangerous, it simply means that simply due to population number there are more rates of incident (occurrences).

Given the population differences the city of 6,600 could well have worse crime or, be more dangerous per capita than the city of 600,000 people.

I understand completely. But thanks for your explanation. Did you read the rest of the article and look at the DATA (incidence) tab? Take a look at that crime incident map from LVMPD I posted earlier. An eye opener.

Sign up for Alert ID in your neighborhood and nearby areas. A bigger eye opener lol

Old 10-16-2013, 05:20 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
I just looked at Alert ID.. neat! We had 2 drunk drivers about a month ago and a car almost got stolen in the Smith's parking lot a few week's back. A couple domestics, and one theft. There was also a "disturbance" but they didn't elaborate.. damn kids.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I just looked at Alert ID.. neat! We had 2 drunk drivers about a month ago and a car almost got stolen in the Smith's parking lot a few week's back. A couple domestics, and one theft. There was also a "disturbance" but they didn't elaborate.. damn kids.

Considering this is about "Las Vegas" and not Henderson where your location says you are, your Alert ID crime reports are probably fewer and are not relevant to Las Vegas, especially the area around the Strip as the thread title implies. The AlertID crime numbers are better in Henderson and Boulder City.

I thought I remembered reading that Henderson was one of the safest cities?

You'll never read that about Las Vegas, lol.

I'm not familiar with all of Northtown anymore but I know there are some areas there that are not so bad crime wise.

I just googled it, Henderson is #2 safest city.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/16356...us-survey-says

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 10-16-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM

206 posts, read 240,786 times
My wife and I are planning on spending our retirement winters in Las Vegas. Among the many things to do there, we are looking forward to many day trips to California, Arizona, Utah, and northern Nevada. We could have bought a property elsewhere but if you study the map you will learn that Las Vegas is the best location in the southwest for these short travels. I see us going to the strip maybe once a week for a couple of hours, either for a meal or just to people watch and enjoy the beauty of the Bellagio fountains or other free attractions. Call me simple, but I do enjoy cruising the strip. I am confident there will be plenty to do: shows, church, special events, etc.

What we are mostly looking forward to upon retirement is getting out of northern winters and taking walks and just sitting and holding hands and appreciating each other and all our blessings. She has worked incredibly hard all her life and hopefully our health will hold up long enough to enjoy our winters there.

We will leave the late hours on the strip for the kids and the energetic ones. As for us, we'll be home by 8...............

Old 10-16-2013, 07:07 PM

Default Has all of Vegas around the strip turned ghetto?

Quote:
Crime here in town is on the increase again, more people and visitors, more crime. We're not at Detroit levels yet, but not quite middle of the pack either. We get our fair share. Statistics could be better.

Research more here and be more informed :

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Also, on the thread above^, click on the little tab DATA.

From that webpage:

"The crime rate in Las Vegas is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America from the largest to the smallest, although at 37 crimes per one thousand residents, it is not among the communities with the very highest crime rate. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Las Vegas is 1 in 27. Based on FBI crime data, Las Vegas is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Nevada, Las Vegas has a crime rate that is higher than 88% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes"
(Mod cut- rude, personal)

Try the next paragraph after the one you quoted...

"However, compared to other communities of similar population size, Las Vegas has a crime rate that is noticeably lower than the average. This means that for comparably sized cities all across America, Las Vegas is actually safer than most according to NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis of FBI crime data."

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 05:05 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Considering this is about "Las Vegas" and not Henderson where your location says you are, your Alert ID crime reports are probably fewer and are not relevant to Las Vegas, especially the area around the Strip as the thread title implies. The AlertID crime numbers are better in Henderson and Boulder City.

I thought I remembered reading that Henderson was one of the safest cities?

You'll never read that about Las Vegas, lol.

I'm not familiar with all of Northtown anymore but I know there are some areas there that are not so bad crime wise.

I just googled it, Henderson is #2 safest city.

Henderson ranked 2nd safest city in U.S., survey says - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU
Summerlin's numbers are as good as good Hendersons.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Default Has all of Vegas around the strip turned ghetto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
(Mod cut- rude, personal)

Try the next paragraph after the one you quoted...

"However, compared to other communities of similar population size, Las Vegas has a crime rate that is noticeably lower than the average. This means that for comparably sized cities all across America, Las Vegas is actually safer than most according to NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis of FBI crime data."

I didn't write the article nor post false crime incident reports on the LVMPD . I don't care if people move here or not and whether they buy houses or not either. People need to know that Las Vegas is not the safest place to live and they have to make their own decisions based on fact and maybe even the differing opinions they read here.

If you don't like reading opinions from life long Las Vegas residents that differ from yours, don't read them.

why don't you read a couple paragraphs below that in the article

"For Las Vegas, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Las Vegas is one in 132.
NeighborhoodScout's analysis also reveals that Las Vegas's rate for property crime is 29 per one thousand population. This makes Las Vegas a place where there is an above average chance of becoming a victim of a property crime, when compared to all other communities in America of all population sizes. Property crimes are motor vehicle theft, arson, larceny, and burglary. Your chance of becoming a victim of any of these crimes in Las Vegas is one in 34."

Last edited by observer53; 10-16-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas