Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 AM

9 posts, read 38,215 times

Advertisements

Not sure why this topic was moved to Las Vegas since I'm looking for Henderson, but OK. I am actually looking to purchase this home with cash, which is why I'm looking for something under 100,000. Would that in any way make my request any more reasonable?

I am really shocked at how little $100,000 will take you, most of the homes I see in that price range are dumps. I thought that the real estate market was in crisis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 02:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkyasp View Post

1) Not sure why this topic was moved to Las Vegas since I'm looking for Henderson, but OK.

2) I am actually looking to purchase this home with cash, which is why I'm looking for something under 100,000. Would that in any way make my request any more reasonable?

3) I am really shocked at how little $100,000 will take you, most of the homes I see in that price range are dumps. I thought that the real estate market was in crisis...

1) Henderson is essentially the same as Las Vegas. Only the most "uber-local" of the locals can tell when they've passed from Las Vegas to Henderson.

2) Reasonable? No. Cash buyers still need to offer fair market value, which hasn't been $100K for quite awhile. Occasionally, nice houses are LISTED at 100K. But they sell for a great deal more.

3) It was in crisis many months ago, stretching back to 2007 or so. If you want to get a nice place for $100K, find a time machine. Otherwise you're too late. Sorry, you missed the boat by about 20 months.

You can hope that Las Vegas is in for "Housing Bubble, the Sequel." There are a few people here who think that's what will happen. I'm not one of them. I think you should have bought in 2010. It's still a good time to buy, because we're not QUITE back up to replacement value. But the "deals" become less and less of a deal every day.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
1) Henderson is essentially the same as Las Vegas. Only the most "uber-local" of the locals can tell when they've passed from Las Vegas to Henderson.

2) Reasonable? No. Cash buyers still need to offer fair market value, which hasn't been $100K for quite awhile. Occasionally, nice houses are LISTED at 100K. But they sell for a great deal more.

3) It was in crisis many months ago, stretching back to 2007 or so. If you want to get a nice place for $100K, find a time machine. Otherwise you're too late. Sorry, you missed the boat by about 20 months.

You can hope that Las Vegas is in for "Housing Bubble, the Sequel." There are a few people here who think that's what will happen. I'm not one of them. I think you should have bought in 2010. It's still a good time to buy, because we're not QUITE back up to replacement value. But the "deals" become less and less of a deal every day.
I can tell because the street lights are a different color. When I'm driving home to Henderson on the 215, the lights are green in Henderson instead of white in Las Vegas.. Other than that, it's just one big metro area..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM

555 posts, read 775,222 times
You missed the boat on the nicer 100k homes.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM

245 posts, read 503,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Yeah. I tend to go through cars (had 52 in 11 years) I like to work on cars. I'm not big on manicured lawns. Not that I am a slob or anything but if I want to leave an engine on a stand outside over night, I don't want some higher than thou, self appointed "President of the hoa" knocking on my door at 6am.

Had a run in with the "president of the hoa" in a townhouse a few years ago, rental by the way. EVERY day she was complaining about something, knocking on my door.

I have some friends who have been forced to sell cars because they didn't fit in the garage per hoa rules.
Legal, registered, licensed, and insured cars.
My uncle was fined almost 3,000 dollars when he went on vacation and the grass got over 3.25 inches.

So yeah, I will never mess with a hoa.
One HOA in Florida that we have a couple townhomes in says you can't have your garage door open unless you're moving your car in or out...and they'll fine you $50 a day if you violate...

Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM

39 posts, read 67,190 times
HAHA...that homepath home that was 99k, now 92,500 is a dump. I live a few houses away and I can tell you right now it's a rehab, has a horrible built-up roof that probably leaks, was built in the 50's so that means potential lead paint and asbestos, the pool is a swamp and probably doesn't work. The value of that home is more or less in the 50-60k range...it would need a lot of rehab to be livable. One upside however is the neighborhood is established and not too bad. The elementary school is just shy of 2 miles away so it's technically "within walking distance" which is horrible.

I had considered that property until I realized there's no return value in rehabbing it. It's a CBS construction but the home values around it show it doesn't have any potential beyond maybe 100k if it was pristine.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,875 times
Thanks for the input!!!
We have no kids so the school is not an issue.
We plan to retire our next house, so resale is not any imediate concern.
However the lead paint and the asbestos sure are, Esp the asbestos!
I bet pool repairs could rack up in a hurry

These are the things you just don't know untill you set eyes on em.

however that gives me hope there are homes that are "neighborhood is established and not too bad."
This just sounds like more than we are up for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas