Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM

87 posts, read 162,809 times

Advertisements

Years ago the Rio had a All American restaurant that served wonderful warm sourdough bread with their meals. I am headed back to LV in a couple days - anyone know of restaurants in LV that serve sourdough bread nowadays?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,750,982 times
Best Sourdough Bread in Las Vegas, NV

Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM

654 posts, read 1,318,294 times
Grand Lux Cafe, hands down. Either at Venetian or Palazzo.

Be sure to ask for the white sourdough. They have wheat bread as well, but the white sourdough's a winner. They serve it with any meal and BTW most of the meals are pretty impressive as well.

What little bread I eat at home these days is wheat, but when I go out I NEVER miss the white sourdough at Grand Lux Cafe. Always fresh & always a winner.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,209,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Grand Lux Cafe, hands down. Either at Venetian or Palazzo.

Be sure to ask for the white sourdough. They have wheat bread as well, but the white sourdough's a winner. They serve it with any meal and BTW most of the meals are pretty impressive as well.

What little bread I eat at home these days is wheat, but when I go out I NEVER miss the white sourdough at Grand Lux Cafe. Always fresh & always a winner.

Thanks for making me hungry for sourdough bread and butter....

Old 08-22-2013, 04:23 PM

526 posts, read 828,991 times
I have been eating ROASTED GARLIC SOURDOUGH !!
IT'S TO DIE FOR. Don't even need butter...

Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,797,006 times
So, we're talking the good stuff at Grand Lux Cafe - San Francisco style - right?

Bill

Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,929,289 times
If you take sourdough starter from San Francisco and move it to Las Vegas, and feed it a few times, it's now Las Vegas sourdough. The local microbes supplant the San Francisco microbes. "San Francisco sourdough" is a marketing gimmick everywhere other than the Bay Area. San Francisco's climate is ideal for sourdough. Much like Dublin is a great place for Stouts and Pilsen is a great place for lagers.

There is no such thing as San Francisco sourdough bread baked in Las Vegas -- unless the sourdough starter is shipped from San Francisco often (weekly). Otherwise, it's not going to be the same. Las Vegas sourdough isn't bad, though. It's certainly better than South Florida sourdough. I've been keeping a sourdough culture alive since the Bush administration. (G.H.W. Bush) It changes as we move.

If SF sourdough is a "10" and South Florida is a "2" -- I'd give Las Vegas a solid "6." We've got some fairly good microflora around here.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,797,006 times
Good points, Scoop.

Maybe I'm buying into the hype, but San Francisco sourdough is the standard I judge others by. I'll be there next month and one of the first things I'll do is get a loaf, some butter and a bottle of decent wine to wash it down.

Fortunately, we have a restaurant in Salt Lake City that has sourdough flown in daily (along with fish) from San Francisco. And, Boudin's (of San Francisco Wharf) fame has a subscription service where they ship a loaf of sourdough each week to the subscriber's home.

Bill

Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM

249 posts, read 401,499 times
Triple George downtown has really good sourdough-- also try La Belle Terre bakery on West Sahara

Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 2,711,476 times
The sourdough bread at Fresh and Easy looked good. I thought I would be lucky...........but I was wrong. It wasn't that great. Even in San Francisco it is hard to find fresh sourdough bread. Years ago it was so good (Boudin) I would plan on bringing some home but would end up finishing it on the plane. Last time I was up there I ended up throwing it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas