Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 5,232 times

Advertisements

The Southern Nevada Health District is no longer offering movies at their office since the Shadow Lane facility collapsed.

The mandatory health card movie is now done online at [url=http://www.healthcardlasvegas.com]HEALTH CARDS OF LAS VEGAS | Official Website for Health Cards & Health Card Movie[/url]

Then you go to the office by Nellis AFB to pick the health card up.

Cost is still $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,383,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasluckylady View Post
The Southern Nevada Health District is no longer offering movies at their office since the Shadow Lane facility collapsed.

The mandatory health card movie is now done online at HEALTH CARDS OF LAS VEGAS | Official Website for Health Cards & Health Card Movie

Then you go to the office by Nellis AFB to pick the health card up.

Cost is still $50.
I think JobConnect will still provide vouchers for Health Cards if you are an unemployed Nevada resident (with NV ID), pick up a form for the employer to fill out showing your exact start date, and take it back to your CEP Rep for the voucher. That is if they haven't changed anything since I left there. They also help pay for other requirements of new hires, such as uniforms, tools, etc. I'm not sure of the new Sheriff Card or TAM Card requirements but we used to pay for those too.

Nevada JobConnect Career Centers | Nevada JobConnect - A statewide network that connects business with employees

Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,138,760 times
^^ Good info. I had no idea there was help for the taxes we like to slap on the working people around here.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
^^ Good info. I had no idea there was help for the taxes we like to slap on the working people around here.

Unemployment benefits are not paid for by workers, they are paid for by employers. It's called a "contribution" but it is in reality a payroll tax. The more you make the more they pay. It's like an insurance premium covering you in unforeseen layoffs, etc. It's not charity either ...you earn it just like you earn medical insurance.

The Nevada Employment Security Division (ESD) is a part of the JobConnect program which is the One Stop concept started by Billery Clinton in order to provide services in one place that used to run you all over town looking for. (It failed to do that and unnecessarily costs employers more money in my opinion).

A section of the Employment Security Division of the Dept. of Employment, Training, and Rehabilitation (DETR), the CEP (Claimant Employment Program) receives a small additional "contribution" from Nevada employers in order to provide them with a trained and ready workforce. I was told that employers actually asked for the program decades ago. If they knew that, again in my opinion, a small part of that money is being used for something other than the original intention they might rebel, but I doubt it. Before I retarred, we were giving something like $250,000 a year to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Nevada to pay for temporary counselors (baby sitters). Not enough to worry about I guess, but it's supposed to be used to help people get full-time jobs, not for students who have no intention of staying, and especially not for a non-profit that doesn't contribute to the fund.

There, I got that off my chest.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM

You feel better? Good.

I know unemployment is paid for by employers. I've always just been a little grumbly about the taxes we slap on employment here. I've never collected a dime in any state benefits, but I've sure paid in. When I got my EMT license back in the nineties, I had to drive downtown and pay 25 bucks for a blank sheet of paper. I've sat through that ridiculous movie from the health department and paid good money to do so when I waited tables for a year back in the day. Thanks a bunch, Nevada, but my mommy taught me to wash my hands after using the bathroom, and to keep food at a proper temperature.

TAM card? LOL ! When is the last time you saw a bartender cut anyone off who could still stand up and swipe a credit card?

I agree that none of those employer funds should be used for a private non-profit.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,009,160 times
Incidentally, the movie is not mandatory for anyone who has completed ServSafe training.

And I have no problem with the system as it stands. I pay for my licenses, because I'm using the system. We're a pay-as-you-go state, and there's nothing wrong with that. Why should John Q Taxpayer subsidize my health card, or your EMT license, or someone else's real estate license?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Incidentally, the movie is not mandatory for anyone who has completed ServSafe training.

And I have no problem with the system as it stands. I pay for my licenses, because I'm using the system. We're a pay-as-you-go state, and there's nothing wrong with that. Why should John Q Taxpayer subsidize my health card, or your EMT license, or someone else's real estate license?
I have a problem with the system, as it taxes employment. Logically, you want to tax things you wish to discourage such as tobacco and alcohol. The TAM cards, health cards and other such fees are simply a way for the state to make up for the fact that we don't tax income here. Instead, we tax employment.

I didn't have a problem paying for my EMT license, it was the blank piece of paper (background check) that I took issue with. I didn't give the govt. worker any grief, they are just doing their jobs.

Tell me Scoop, did you actually learn anything from your health department video?

Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM

I believe that everyone should pay something for the privilege of making their living in this country. But I believe that it should be the same percentage for everyone. I think that for every dollar we earn, maybe 10 cents should go toward paying for infrastructure, (maybe) education, and defense; and the government should not be involved in much else. I think they could get along very well on 10% of everyone's earnings. Otherwise you are just punishing people for producing and rewarding those that don't produce.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,009,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Tell me Scoop, did you actually learn anything from your health department video?
No idea, I've never seen it. I have a ServSafe cert. I basically pay $65 for a hepatitis shot every three years.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No idea, I've never seen it. I have a ServSafe cert. I basically pay $65 for a hepatitis shot every three years.
Well, at least you got something for your money, Scoop.

Buzz, your tax idea is similar to the tax system that was described to me in Jamaica. If the man was correct, they don't pay any income taxes on income up to the minimum wage, after that, it's 20%. Make five dollars over minimum wage, 20%, make a million over minimum wage, 20%. I agree that we all need to pay for our infrastructure.

It's great that the health dept. video is now online. It's too bad people have to drive to pick up the card though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas