Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 AM

32 posts, read 37,678 times

Advertisements

If you ever moved away from Vegas, where would you move and why?
Also, if you had my circumstances, where would you move and why?
Here are my issues:
My family and I want to move to a cooler climate. Somewhere that doesn't get extremely hot in the summers. Somewhere that's not going to freeze us to death in the winter. Not a lot of deadly weather, but a fair share of rather harmless thunderstorms. Minus the tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, volcanoes, etc.

I have a rare life-threatening medical condition, previously traveling to UCLA for treatment. So I need to live within a few hours drive from a major medical hospital that does team-care, like UCLA, MAYO, clinics that are proficients in pituitary tumors and neurosurgery for them. Not more expensive than Las Vegas to live, good income for the cost of living ratio.

We have a few family members here, in MO, and KS. First, we were considering Alaska, but we think the winters would be too cold, the move would be too expensive, and the culture shock might be too much. Moving expenses are another big issue. We're not planning to move for another year to 2 years, but we know we don't want to live here forever anymore. We've lived in KS, and MO, but don't plan to move back there. We don't want to live in CA. We don't really want the big city life and like to have a one story home on a decent size land lot and not crammed in with close neighbors and small spaces. We're looking like suburbs of a big city with a well-known medical clinic not too many hours away.

Our sights are on OHIO now. They have the Cleveland clinic there. Is anyone from OHIO or know much about cities nearby that are nice areas? I'll have to visit the city-data forums in that area and ask around there, I guess. Although, I'm still curious how someone from there living here now, or someone from here moving back feels about how things compare. I don't know how it will be different socially either. What the people are like, etc.

Vegas is such a huge mix of personalities! We like to socialize and know our neighbors. Not many Vegans or Hendersonites like to get to know their neighbors in person, everyone wants to keep to themselves. It's strange to me. The most communication I get with my community is on here or on AlertID where we learn and talk about about crimes in our neighborhood, which are on the rise! I find it difficult to find friends here and when I have, they've moved away. All the people I get along with don't stick around in Vegas either. I guess we feel the same, we don't fit in.

So, where else would you live, if not Vegas?
Do you think OHIO sounds like a good match for me and my family?

Last edited by observer53; 07-05-2013 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: paragraphs added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Check out Texas, around the Dallas area. Don't know about what the hospitals are like there, but it's a huge area so I would expect that they'd have pretty good facilities. We're currently exploring the area east-ish of Dallas, and will be visiting over the Labor Day weekend to check out some of the towns we've been looking into.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 AM

293 posts, read 641,647 times
Born and raised...left-returned-left-returned and thank god left for good!!! My family is still there and looking to get out and many of my friends hate it there but would not leave since that is where they were born and raised and feel planted forever. Yes Cleveland Clinic is top notch.....the best things about the state are the Rock-N-Roll HOF in Cleveland, 2 of the top 5 amuzement parks in the country(Cedar Point and Kings Island) and the #1 zoo in the country(Columbus)...also has Put-In-Bay just off Sandusky, a party style Island 1 mile by 1 mile that is awesome to go to....many historical areas to go see....We left because the humidity is horrible, you sweat when you breathe!!! You very rarely see the sun and when you do it is hotter than Las VEgas...it rains and is grey a lot of the year..You need to get a back-up power supply since you will loose power at ,least twice a year from ice or storms in the spring and summer. Take PLENTY of bug spray as they are huge and there are tons of bugs, EVERYWHERE.(more than here) People are nice depending on where you go to live, many areas were hit hard by the recession and there are tons of empty houses and businesses...crime is also a concern near bigger cities and in smaller ones where there is space between homes...Schools are good and many teachers have been there for 25+ years. We left 2 years ago for good and there was still teachers there from when I went there 25 yearas ago. Just be careful where you move too..in country you could drive over an hour to get to movies-docs-entertainment and you will lose the 24 hour town. Stores that sell liquor do not sell on SUndays and last call is at 1am. Bills will be about the same as car insurance will go down alot, water will stay the same and gas-elec will be about the same....

Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 PM

111 posts, read 107,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SioSioDef View Post
If you ever moved away from Vegas, where would you move and why?
Also, if you had my circumstances, where would you move and why?
Here are my issues:
My family and I want to move to a cooler climate. Somewhere that doesn't get extremely hot in the summers. Somewhere that's not going to freeze us to death in the winter. Not a lot of deadly weather, but a fair share of rather harmless thunderstorms. Minus the tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, volcanoes, etc. I have a rare life-threatening medical condition, previously traveling to UCLA for treatment. So I need to live within a few hours drive from a major medical hospital that does team-care, like UCLA, MAYO, clinics that are proficients in pituitary tumors and neurosurgery for them. Not more expensive than Las Vegas to live, good income for the cost of living ratio. We have a few family members here, in MO, and KS. First, we were considering Alaska, but we think the winters would be too cold, the move would be too expensive, and the culture shock might be too much. Moving expenses are another big issue. We're not planning to move for another year to 2 years, but we know we don't want to live here forever anymore. We've lived in KS, and MO, but don't plan to move back there. We don't want to live in CA. We don't really want the big city life and like to have a one story home on a decent size land lot and not crammed in with close neighbors and small spaces. We're looking like suburbs of a big city with a well-known medical clinic not too many hours away. Our sights are on OHIO now. They have the Cleveland clinic there. Is anyone from OHIO or know much about cities nearby that are nice areas? I'll have to visit the city-data forums in that area and ask around there, I guess. Although, I'm still curious how someone from there living here now, or someone from here moving back feels about how things compare. I don't know how it will be different socially either. What the people are like, etc. Vegas is such a huge mix of personalities! We like to socialize and know our neighbors. Not many Vegans or Hendersonites like to get to know their neighbors in person, everyone wants to keep to themselves. It's strange to me. The most communication I get with my community is on here or on AlertID where we learn and talk about about crimes in our neighborhood, which are on the rise! I find it difficult to find friends here and when I have, they've moved away. All the people I get along with don't stick around in Vegas either. I guess we feel the same, we don't fit in.
So, where else would you live, if not Vegas?
Do you think OHIO sounds like a good match for me and my family?
When you find such a place, let the rest of us know where it is!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
Born and raised...left-returned-left-returned and thank god left for good!!! My family is still there and looking to get out and many of my friends hate it there but would not leave since that is where they were born and raised and feel planted forever. Yes Cleveland Clinic is top notch.....the best things about the state are the Rock-N-Roll HOF in Cleveland, 2 of the top 5 amuzement parks in the country(Cedar Point and Kings Island) and the #1 zoo in the country(Columbus)...also has Put-In-Bay just off Sandusky, a party style Island 1 mile by 1 mile that is awesome to go to....many historical areas to go see....We left because the humidity is horrible, you sweat when you breathe!!! You very rarely see the sun and when you do it is hotter than Las VEgas...it rains and is grey a lot of the year..You need to get a back-up power supply since you will loose power at ,least twice a year from ice or storms in the spring and summer. Take PLENTY of bug spray as they are huge and there are tons of bugs, EVERYWHERE.(more than here) People are nice depending on where you go to live, many areas were hit hard by the recession and there are tons of empty houses and businesses...crime is also a concern near bigger cities and in smaller ones where there is space between homes...Schools are good and many teachers have been there for 25+ years. We left 2 years ago for good and there was still teachers there from when I went there 25 yearas ago. Just be careful where you move too..in country you could drive over an hour to get to movies-docs-entertainment and you will lose the 24 hour town. Stores that sell liquor do not sell on SUndays and last call is at 1am. Bills will be about the same as car insurance will go down alot, water will stay the same and gas-elec will be about the same....
Wow. Thank you. Very helpful information! I've lived in Kansas and Missouri, so I'm familiar with high heat with humidity. I prefer it to the dry heat either way. I hate the sunshine. I also hate bugs, so you've got me squeamish about that!! A lot of what you say sounds good though. What smaller towns/areas are generally nice? Are there any master planned communities?What are some nice smaller town that surround Cleveland?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:24 PM

[mod edit-- response to deleted posts]
Texas is one I'm opposed to as much as Florida. I don't feel that anywhere south is going to get me out of the heat I so desperately want to move away from. I definitely am looking North. I wanted to do the Washington/ Seattle border and get the best of both tax breaks, but that still puts us in big city and traffic, two other things I want to avoid. I talked to hubby about living with state income tax again. He said he would consider it a luxury tax to not live in the desert. Lol. Works for me! We're looking North central-east.

Last edited by observer53; 07-05-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
I'd look into Colorado Springs or Pueblo area. Far more bearable summer, lots of sun year round and a cost of living at most a tad higher than Vegas. No real disasters to worry about other than hailstorms, fires only affect pretty wooded areas. Both have fairly small town feel, but are under 2 hour drive to Denver for medical needs. Only trade off are the 15-20 days or so each winter where it can be quite cold, but for the most part winter isn't that big a deal.

The places which are much cooler in summer are almost all very high cost Pacific coast areas. There really isn't an affordable option anywhere within 20 miles of the Pacific Ocean, even the isolated areas of Northern California and Oregon are quite a bit more expensive than Vegas.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Hubby suggested Canada because in his current position he's marketing to Canada and has become familiar with their culture. I told him, just as he said Alaska would be a culture shock, living in another country would be far worse. I don't have much bad to say about Canada,I have MANY friends spread out across Canada, but I've never been there either. I could never up and leave America for no good reason. This country is good. Every country has problems, they all have diversity. I don't hate Las Vegas either. I've lived here more than anywhere else, usually not by choice, but there's always a place in my heart for Vegas. I just can't take it on a permanent basis anymore. I've outgrown it. My needs have changed. So have my wants. I love that I know a lot about it, where everything is, etc. But I learn my way around pretty fast wherever I go. I've lived in California, Arizona, Missouri, Kansas, and Nevada. I have appreciation for them all. Not much bad to say about any, they're just not for me now. I want to explore, try something new and different and hopefully find some where that feels like it's meant to be my home and plant my family there. I'm not fond of extreme heat or hurricanes or tornadoes or volcanoes, or tsunamis. I love thunderstorms, even severe ones. I don't mind power outages and scary weather, I just don't want to live where it's too hot to go outside or where I might have to evacuate or hide in my basement. I don't want to live crammed up in a tiny apartment paying like I'm living a mansion. I'd rather have a big house on a decent size lot.

Last edited by observer53; 07-05-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM

15,846 posts, read 14,479,382 times
^
If you want to find someplace that is disasterproof, give it up, you won't. Everyplace has it's vulnerabilities. Everyplace also has it's environmental negatives. If there was someplace that had neither it would be mobbed beyond belief. I live in NYC, and for the first time, really in recorded history, we had a catastrophic hurricane. We survived.

I can get you don't like the heat. But then you're going to have to go somewhere that has a real winter, and deal with that. Everyplace has it's tradeoffs.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM

I'm not looking for disaster-proof. A real winter, four seasons, is what I want. I'm just saying that I've already lived in tornado alley and experienced that. It had it's ups and downs. The thrill and excitement versus the real chance of devastation, etc. I've experienced the extreme heat. I like the weather where it's nasty enough to exciting but not so nasty that the kids will be frightened. My oldest boy is a sissy. I'm sure he'll outgrow it. For the time being, I couldn't imagine having to sit in the basement listening to a tornado and trying to explain that it's going to be okay but that it's dangerous enough we have to stay hunkered down. A few of my family members, including my brother, are storm chasers. My oldest daughter is starting to talk like she's into it too. She's not very good at safety and I don't want to encourage her thrill seeking behavior either. Considerably mild weather compared to the extremes, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas