Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoleh2 View Post
I just moved here from Chicago. I have mixed emotions about the registration fees. It's all well and good that Nevada doesn't have state tax...the registration is over $300 bucks for my car and my insurance doubled! I have a clean record so I could not understand how the car insurance could be so much more. I moved here to take a job with CCSD, I've been attending meetings, working in my classroom (using my own funds for most everything) and of course dealing with rent and utilities without receiving a pay check...our first payday is not until the end of this week. Registering my car will be a third of my check....give the out of towners a break!
Also, I have experienced some of the most ignorant drivers in the past month...and I come from Chicago so that's saying ALOT. I've heard that cops are bad here...so why are so many people cutting me off doing at least 50mph in a 35?
According to exaday you're a deadbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
According to exaday you're a deadbeat.
I don't think exaday is insisting that people who don't register their car on day 31 are deadbeats. But, seriously, how long of a grace period do people need? We have precious little in taxes in this state. Sales tax, very low property taxes, and vehicle registration -- which is a personal property tax. That's why it goes down as the vehicle depreciates. It isn't fair to the rest of us who DO pay our taxes to shrug our shoulders and let the deadbeats registration slide for months, and in some cases, YEARS.

If you want to beat the tax, and still drive a nice car, buy one that is a few years old. The tax drops dramatically after year four. But don't whinge about the ruinously high tax on a six-figure car. It's not ruinously high unless the buyer dropped his or her entire nut on the vehicle, leaving nothing for insurance and registration. That's financially foolhardy, as well as dodging taxes.

Buy a classic car. The car of my dreams had a $10,000 MSRP in 1974. I would have to sell everything in order to buy one today, but the registration would be dirt cheap. (Even though the car commands seven figures if you can find one.) So, don't buy a $100K new car. Buy a classic for $100K and pay $200 in registration.

Besides, I cannot think of ONE make of car where I wouldn't rather have one of the classics than one of the current line-up.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 AM

306 posts, read 433,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoleh2 View Post
I just moved here from Chicago. I have mixed emotions about the registration fees. It's all well and good that Nevada doesn't have state tax...the registration is over $300 bucks for my car and my insurance doubled! I have a clean record so I could not understand how the car insurance could be so much more. I moved here to take a job with CCSD, I've been attending meetings, working in my classroom (using my own funds for most everything) and of course dealing with rent and utilities without receiving a pay check...our first payday is not until the end of this week. Registering my car will be a third of my check....give the out of towners a break!
Also, I have experienced some of the most ignorant drivers in the past month...and I come from Chicago so that's saying ALOT. I've heard that cops are bad here...so why are so many people cutting me off doing at least 50mph in a 35?
I moved here from Chicago in December of last year. Welcome!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You know this is really weird.

From the Fair Share site run by the Constable...

Non-Residents:

Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:

if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year
if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here

So while you don't need a driver's license if a non-resident you still are required to register your car.

As MMB suggest the law actually does require you to register your car twice a year if you snow bird...

And if I remember correctly you have to do a full year in both states.
emphasis added above.

I was originally thinking this, but now think something a bit different. The bolded quote above implies that both states agree. But I don't think they actually do agree. I think the two states disagree and their laws conflict with each other.

Here's why I say they conflict: the home state requires the car to be registered in the home state (say, California). The vacation residence state (Nevada) requires the car to be registered in Nevada after 31 days. BUT -- and here's the potential conflict -- CA does not agree that the vehicle may be re-registered, as the vehicle still fits CA's requirement to be registered full-time in CA.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
emphasis added above.

I was originally thinking this, but now think something a bit different. The bolded quote above implies that both states agree. But I don't think they actually do agree. I think the two states disagree and their laws conflict with each other.

Here's why I say they conflict: the home state requires the car to be registered in the home state (say, California). The vacation residence state (Nevada) requires the car to be registered in Nevada after 31 days. BUT -- and here's the potential conflict -- CA does not agree that the vehicle may be re-registered, as the vehicle still fits CA's requirement to be registered full-time in CA.
Yes but the State which has practical authority over the car gets to enforce its rule. Unless you could get CA to sue NV over it...

On second thought no conflict. CA does not care where you register your car as long as the car is not in CA. It is where the car is not the state of residence.

Last edited by lvoc; 09-09-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Buy a classic car. The car of my dreams had a $10,000 MSRP in 1974. I would have to sell everything in order to buy one today, but the registration would be dirt cheap. (Even though the car commands seven figures if you can find one.) So, don't buy a $100K new car. Buy a classic for $100K and pay $200 in registration.
This one has me stumped. The only two cars I can think of from the 70s that command 7 figures are the Ferrari 512m and Porsche 917 and those are both race cars.

Which country is it from?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
This one has me stumped. The only two cars I can think of from the 70s that command 7 figures are the Ferrari 512m and Porsche 917 and those are both race cars.

Italy. You're right, of course. High six figures is closer to the mark. I haven't looked up the prices in a long time because they only made 92 of them. I'm not getting one. And checking the prices just validates that this is a pipe dream. Honestly, at my height, I don't know if I'd even fit.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post

Ferrari Daytona Spyders still bring 1.6M or more at auction.

1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spider by Scaglietti | Monterey 2013 | RM AUCTIONS

1971 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder | Monaco 2012 | RM AUCTIONS

Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I was thinking '74 was the first year of the Countach, but that was $50K ish..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I was thinking '74 was the first year of the Countach, but that was $50K ish..
'74 was the first year of a lot of cool cars. And the last year of a lot of cool cars, too. It was just a very cool year for cars in general. There are about a dozen of them that I'd really like to have in my garage, all from 1974. As it stands, I only have one. And that's been in the shop being restored for a very long time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas