Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM

306 posts, read 433,818 times

Advertisements

So, there are a lot of cars in my complex that still have plates from other states. This morning when I walked the dog, I noticed a little yellow card on a lot of these vehicles, including my neighbor. When she called the number, the detective told her that someone had anonymously reported that the vehicle has been in the state for more than 30 days. She received a ticket for $100 and her car was flagged pending paying said ticket before she can register her car.

Has anyone else heard of this? I'm new to the state, so I have no idea about all of the laws regarding this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I was told of this when we moved. You have 30 days to register your car in Nevada after you move here. They rely on mostly tips from people calling in.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Well, good. It's good to see the city doing something about all these scofflaws. What I don't understand is how I can see so many cars on the road with no registration as all. I have a friend who is a cop back east. He said he would spend his entire day, every day, pulling over these cars.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
I renewed my tag on my car a month before moving here. I was not pleased with that law. Cost me 400 bucks. That's outrageous.
Currently, I have a 30 day tag on my new truck BUT the tape melted and it fell off. I have it in the center console. I've been driving around for a week with no tag. I'm amazed I haven't been pulled.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Well, good. It's good to see the city doing something about all these scofflaws. What I don't understand is how I can see so many cars on the road with no registration as all. I have a friend who is a cop back east. He said he would spend his entire day, every day, pulling over these cars.
Alot of times it is the paper tags that are taped in the back window (behind tint so dark it's illegal in most other states) or simply in the glove box. They seem very lenient about cars not having plates here.. Maybe out of staters should just take their plates off when they get here..

Old 09-05-2013, 01:55 PM

I took my friend the cop to the Stratosphere. He spent his time counting all the unregistered cars. "Unbelievable! Amazing! Why do they let this happen! Probably guns or drugs in the trunk of that one!"

Ever since that ride, I seem to notice it more. There are a LOT of them. And I'll see Metro pass these unregistered cars, never pulling them over. If they're not going to enforce the law, why bother with registration at all?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
So, there are a lot of cars in my complex that still have plates from other states. This morning when I walked the dog, I noticed a little yellow card on a lot of these vehicles, including my neighbor. When she called the number, the detective told her that someone had anonymously reported that the vehicle has been in the state for more than 30 days. She received a ticket for $100 and her car was flagged pending paying said ticket before she can register her car.

Has anyone else heard of this? I'm new to the state, so I have no idea about all of the laws regarding this.
All I can say is some people really need to get a life. I have better things to worry about than someone being in the state 31 days without changing the plates.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Haven't you read all the threads here from people howling about registration fees? Las Vegas doesn't have much in the way of taxes, and when so many people (the 50 cars I see every day with no plates at all, plus all the out-of-state plates of people who live here), that's a lot of revenue that isn't coming in.

That means those of us who follow the rules yet again subsidize those who do not. I empathize with the snowbirds who are here only part of the year. And there should be some sort of program for them. But for the most part, this is simply people looking to duck their obligations.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But for the most part, this is simply people looking to duck their obligations.
You can't know that. There could be a mulitude of reasons they haven't done it. Sad that you just assume everyone is a deadbeat.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You can't know that. There could be a mulitude of reasons they haven't done it. Sad that you just assume everyone is a deadbeat.
Scoop said "for the most part", which to me implies he doesn't mean everyone. Scoop and I don't agree often, but I agree with him totally here. The vast majority who don't register their vehicles in a timely manner don't want to pay the high fees. Who does, but that's the price of living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas