Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 01:53 AM

50 posts, read 84,998 times

Advertisements

Yes, I did search but really didn't see anything to hang my hat on. I'm looking for a name of a family-owned (if possible) moving company, and if affiliated with one of the nationals, anyone BUT Atlas. Sad to leave L.V. but work calls and I can't keep going back and forth the way I have. I'll be back sometime...despite some significant problems this is a great city. I've enjoyed most every minute of my time here *sniff*.

Back to movers. I had a REALLY bad experience with an Atlas-affiliated mover who stole $8,300 worth of goods from me that Atlas refused to pay for through their insurance even though I was fully insured with Atlas. Despite the twenty or so boxes missing from the inventory sheet, Atlas claimed they did not know the contents of the missing boxes so they wouldn't compensate me FOR ANY of them in any amount. Zip, zero, zilch. (The cost of the move was $8k, so that was a quick $16.3k haircut.) Atlas = pure scum. Is there a moving company here that is honest and careful? That has been in business for hopefully a few decades or longer? That I can go in to and meet with the owner? I'm not eager to repeat one of the worst experiences of my life so any help would be greatly appreciated, TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:31 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,759,548 times
We used Moving Brothers just to unload our truck on arrival, but can't say enough good things about them. They also handle moves to California. They handled every piece like it was their own and were very hard and careful workers. That would be my recommendation.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,745,646 times
I believe Warren Homeworks will go to CA. They are as good as any in town.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,907,492 times
uship.com

Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM

255 posts, read 448,972 times
Umbrella Movers. We used them for unloading our moving truck. Found them through either Angie's List or yelp, can't remember which, but they had great reviews. Our moving in date changed about three times and Kathryn (may be the owner) met our needs graciously. I offered to pay a fee for the short notice rescheduling but she wouldn't take it. Our two unloaders were very nice, clean and polite and very careful with our stuff. Got the truck unloaded on a tight schedule so that we could return the truck without paying another day.

I have heard good things about Warren's Homework but when I called for a quote to unload they were way more expensive. I would check with Umbrella first. It doesn't hurt to get three estimates. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 PM

23,611 posts, read 23,913,776 times
Pack your own stuff, inventory the contents and number the boxes, and load them on pallets, which you should also number. Wrap the pallets in pallet wrap (available at Lowes). Tell whatever moving company you choose that you require a truck with a hydraulic lift and a pallet jack. They COULD steal stuff, but when they see how you have everything packed, they won't dare.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:33 AM

255 posts, read 448,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Pack your own stuff, inventory the contents and number the boxes, and load them on pallets, which you should also number. Wrap the pallets in pallet wrap (available at Lowes). Tell whatever moving company you choose that you require a truck with a hydraulic lift and a pallet jack. They COULD steal stuff, but when they see how you have everything packed, they won't dare.
Great, if you have the luxury to do this. It takes a lot of time and depending on how much stuff a person has, it may not be realistic to do this. When we moved, it took me 3 months of daily work to pack up over 300 boxes. There was no way I could have done this. Plus if you're limited in space, where would you put the loaded pallets until the movers picked them up?

Old 09-21-2013, 01:17 AM

50 posts, read 84,998 times
Great stuff everyone...thanks to all so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas