Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 45,222 times

Advertisements

I plan on using the public transportation system pretty extensively in Vegas and was just wondering if there was anything to look out for there? Anyone who rides regularly have issues waiting for a bus, on the bus or at areas like BTC? The buses I will be catching will be starting from Bonanza which people have warned me is a bad street. I don't plan on taking too many night buses but I might have to every now and then.

Any advice or things I should look out for?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 01:51 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdition View Post
I plan on using the public transportation system pretty extensively in Vegas and was just wondering if there was anything to look out for there? Anyone who rides regularly have issues waiting for a bus, on the bus or at areas like BTC? The buses I will be catching will be starting from Bonanza which people have warned me is a bad street. I don't plan on taking too many night buses but I might have to every now and then.

Any advice or things I should look out for?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, watch out for the bus. Don't stick your head out in the bus lane while your waiting for it, the bus drivers speed in those lanes so fast they're gonna kill someone someday.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 PM

280 posts, read 572,107 times
The buses out here rarely connect with one another, so if you have to transfer buses you could end up waiting an hour or more for the next bus depending on your time of day & location. Bonanza is a shadier street in terms of safety. And buses on a major road during "rush hours" (Flamingo, Tropicana, Sahara, Charleston, LVB, Rancho, Boulder) are usually jammed full like sardines. RTC buses are not cheap anymore and unless absolutely necessary not an efficient means of transportation in this town. Public transportation here in Las Vegas just plain sucks.

Other then being proactive about your own safety (being aware of your surroundings & our recent string of drivers plowing through bus shelters) you should be alright.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Learn to have allot of patience. Drivers call in sick causing missed routes. Hot headed riders causing all sorts of problems and commotion. Jammed pack buses full of riders that looks like a subway commute in Tokyo in the seventies. I love how the RTC executives continues to promote city transit as a easy stress free commute to work. I bet none of them had to wait an hour and half for a bus for a route that is scheduled to run every twenty minuets the get stared down by some ignorant street urchin who thinks their somebody in their part of the hood.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:30 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Learn to have allot of patience. Drivers call in sick causing missed routes. Hot headed riders causing all sorts of problems and commotion. Jammed pack buses full of riders that looks like a subway commute in Tokyo in the seventies. I love how the RTC executives continues to promote city transit as a easy stress free commute to work. I bet none of them had to wait an hour and half for a bus for a route that is scheduled to run every twenty minuets the get stared down by some ignorant street urchin who thinks their somebody in their part of the hood.
Haha, I think this is the reality in 98% of the bus systems out there.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Haha, I think this is the reality in 98% of the bus systems out there.
Actually, it's not, but in "car centric" western cities, you certainly do see it to one degree or another.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times
I used public transportation while I lived there and one thing to note is during the summer, break-downs are really common. People told me it was due to the heat. I had several occasions where the bus I was supposed to catch never arrived and I waited a full half hour to 45 minutes (In the heat with zero shelter) for the next one. In addition, several buses had air conditioners out of service, which in 112 degrees and full seats can be a pain. Outside of these things, I LOVED the bus system. I could get anywhere I needed to by walking to the nearest corner and waiting for a bus. People on the buses are really friendly and I always had fun conversations with other passengers. A month long pass with unlimited use was $65 then, but I heard it was going up to $85, which is still a bargain if you no longer have to deal with gasoline, insurance, car payments and vehicle maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: