Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:45 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times

Advertisements

People don't normally set out to run their local bakery, convenience store, furniture store, etc into the ground and out of business. But that's what we, as consumers, have been conditioned to do to car dealers. It perpetuates the cycle. Some day it would be great if the whole process was overhauled. Carmax has tried that, but only with used cars. The only way to accomplish it is to go to a "one price" model, but again, there's always going to be greed that will get in the way of that, on both sides.

So for now, car salesmen will remain just below lawyers on the 'most hated' list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 02:18 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
It is a business. A business is there to make money. When a business stops making money, the business fails, and employees lose their jobs. When people lose their jobs, the economy suffers. I have no problem letting the dealership make money on me. Because I would like them to be there to service the car and provide me with my next one.
100% correct. But the current dealership sale model may need to adapt for this current/upcoming generation. People want what they want and soon a salesman wont be able to push something different on customers. What is your opinion on this?

How Tesla plans to short circuit new-car dealers
It's time to build your Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors
Scion.com | Select Your Scion
Build to Order Closer With GM, Reynolds Link | News & Analysis content from WardsAuto
GM Aims to Become Build-to-Order Firm But Custom Online Sales Are Daunting Task - WSJ.com
BMW's Push for Made-to-Order Cars - Forbes

Quote:
Automakers would love to have more customers like Dr. Kevin Dean. When the 45-year-old oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Pensacola, Fla., went to a BMW showroom in April to buy a new X5 sport-utility for his wife, Carrie Ann, he wanted it all: titanium silver with a 5-liter turbocharged V8 engine; multicontoured, ventilated seats; navigation system; rear dvd entertainment system; and 20-inch alloy Y-spoke wheels.

Except the dealership, Sandy Sansing BMW, didn’t have one with those exact specifications. Most dealers would then try to push another car on the customer. But with a few keystrokes the salesman, Terry Mills, alerted BMW’s factory in Spartanburg, S.C. (and the 170 or so companies that supply it with auto parts) to make Dean’s special order a priority. In four weeks the $78,000 car of his dreams was parked in Dean’s driveway.

Vehicle customization on a mass scale has been the Holy Grail of the auto industry for more than a decade, with little success. Americans are an impatient lot. They’ve been trained to sacrifice a few features or accept a different color if they can get a great deal on a car they can drive home immediately.
My aunt just recently did this for a Toyota. Even though she had to wait about a month for her new car, she said it was worth it and will always buy a car this way in the future.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:49 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
100% correct. But the current dealership sale model may need to adapt for this current/upcoming generation. People want what they want and soon a salesman wont be able to push something different on customers. What is your opinion on this?

How Tesla plans to short circuit new-car dealers
It's time to build your Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors
Scion.com | Select Your Scion
Build to Order Closer With GM, Reynolds Link | News & Analysis content from WardsAuto
GM Aims to Become Build-to-Order Firm But Custom Online Sales Are Daunting Task - WSJ.com
BMW's Push for Made-to-Order Cars - Forbes

My aunt just recently did this for a Toyota. Even though she had to wait about a month for her new car, she said it was worth it and will always buy a car this way in the future.
My job included special orders. The drawback for the dealership in the current allocation model is that it takes up to 4 months from time of order to delivery in the case of Japanese-made cars. At Lexus, inventory was always at a shortage, and every special order would reduce the allocation of that model by 1. Take an LX570, for instance. We may have only received 4 or 5 per month. Take 1 of those out for each month the order is in place, and we would lose the opportunity to make the profit on 4-5 of them in order to provide 1 to a customer. We had to ask list price for the special orders for that reason. So yes, it was done, but again, in the allocation model in place, it was more expensive to the consumer, but worth it for those who wanted an LX with no 3rd row of seats, for instance. Special ordering cars that are made in the US is much easier, as they are mass-produced and the turnaround is much quicker for a special order.

I agree, it should be overhauled, as it wasn't fair. But that was a manufacturer, not a dealer model. I have most experience with that brand. But I did manage a Ford dealership at one point, and they made SO many vehicles that the chances of finding the exact option package was pretty good.

I think it would be easier from a consumer point of view as well as a manufacturer point of view to go the opposite. Offer each model with 2 or 3 trim levels, but have color be the only choice. Lexus ended up going that route for the most part. They had basic, premium, and luxury. The SC430, for instance, had choice of colors only. Every single one was made identically. Even the wheels, which were the only other choice a customer had, came with 2 different inserts, and the customer could pick which wheel insert they wanted at delivery and keep the other 2 in case they wanted to change the look. It made things so much easier.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 AM

24 posts, read 38,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
To get a job in sales I would think especially something like car sales you go sell yourself. Why not go old school and drop by the dealership? Do you know of anyone currently in the market for a car?
I have been to several dealers in person. I speak to the sales manager and they say it's up to HR to review resumes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Turnover is extremely high, as it's a very stressful job. From my experience, the average salesman lasts 4-6 months due to very long hours and the constant stress of dealing with people in a combative situation. Speaking in generalities, no one likes buying a car, and everyone thinks you're making a ton of money and wants to buy a new car for half off. Few realize the very slim profit margins that are left in automobiles, but yet everyone thinks they are experts in the field because the read "the book".

Either way, it is a way to make a very good living. I started at 18 years old and was making $85K out of the gate. That was working for a Toyota/VW dealership. I moved from there to a Honda store, then a Chevy/VW store. I got out of the business for a while, then went back in as a manager of a Ford/Mazda store working for peanuts just to get re-acclimated. Got an offer to manage a Honda store for double the money, and then got an offer to manage a Lexus store for 50% more than that, and stayed with Lexus for 12 years.

You'll find it's a transient business, as the "grass is always greener" and salespeople and managers will jump from house to house trying to find the best pay plan. My recommendation is if you make a good living, stay put. If you are personable, people will like you, and you'll start getting repeats and referrals. The closing ratio on a repeat/referral is close to 80% vs. the industry average of 20-25% on a fresh up.

Good luck with your decision, and remember that it's all about the pay plan, not the brand.
Thanks for the input from you and others. I have to give this a shot to see if I like it. The reason I prefer upscale is I can relate to the bmw, mercedes, etc because those are the cars I research personally and like and currently drive. . I want to sell something that I have a passion and respect for.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Over the decades, I hired hundreds of new salespeople. Valid driver's license is key, as is a good driving record. The dealerships don't care about that as much, but their insurance companies do. That aside, just have a good attitude, and be prepared to work "bell to bell" 5 or 6 days a week. Your day off is not really your day off if you have appointments or deliveries. Don't worry about what type of cars you sell, worry about the pay plan. You get paid on profit, not on sale price, so a good Hyundai pay plan can earn you more than a bad Mercedes pay plan. If a dealership offers it, take a higher salary with lower commission to start, and see if they will switch it to a draw as you get better at your craft. It's a numbers game, so the more ups you take, the more cars you will sell. Have that attitude, and don't let the veterans rat your head out, and you can make a very nice living.

Good luck!
Thanks. I will consider anywhere other than Carmax at the beginning to get the experience. Once I know the ropes I will go from there.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
some will have you finger printed to check for criminal back ground and some will also have you do drug testing. Just go apply and once you've been hired then go get whatever the dealer will require of you.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:55 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
What's wrong with carmax? I have an interview there Friday.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:56 PM

I could be wrong but from what I heard the pay isn't that good there. Let me know what they say

Old 11-03-2013, 01:48 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey1988 View Post
I could be wrong but from what I heard the pay isn't that good there. Let me know what they say

i interviewed for general manager there a few years back, i turned them down due to pay.. (it wasn't terrible though...)

i believe sales people were getting 100-150 per car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: