Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
East or west coast has nothing to do with this
Ah, not true~

A true Westener knows the reality - the eastener does not understand the west and the culture of the west -

Like them sheep herders who invaded cattle country (where all the cattle stood in the sun) -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,047,430 times
GAWD I love a good range war

Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
I have to agree with what Chest said about this. I've seen this area boom with housing tracts all around the pig farm in the last few years, so I'm skeptical about the true intentions of the petition. The farm has been there for a very long time, much longer than any of the multiple housing tract's residents have. I remember reading about efforts to get rid of the farm in the past, so this appears to be just another tactic to do the same. I wouldn't be so skeptical if the farm didn't have such a long history there.

The smell that come's from the farm and that blankets the area around it always made me wonder about the people who moved to the area to begin with. I wonder (no offense Olecapt) what builders and realtors tell potential buyers who noticed the smell while house shopping. I can't imagine how hard it is to sell a home in that area now with the current housing climate and that smell. In any case, the farm was there first, and therefore I think it deserves to stay.
I just added a few new customers in that area. They seemed to get a good deal on the properties and I never heard them complain about the smell. Maybe its only when there is a certain wind direction?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,047,430 times
When my wife was in New Home Sales she was in a developement just down the street from the 'hawg farm' she never had a problem the entire time she was there, with the exception of 3 days. [The fact that she was raised on a Menonite farm might have something to do with it.]

Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 PM

359 posts, read 1,405,643 times

Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 PM

159 posts, read 478,340 times
The petition simply requests that the animals be given some shade from the sun, have a big enough space so that they don't have to live and die in their feces, and have their coats washed occasionally to removed the caked-on feces. Not too much to ask, is it?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 PM

151 posts, read 226,624 times
Yeah.... back the petition. Bump.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,713,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Before I sign ANY petition re: animal cruelty and RC farms. I need to know more about their alleged cruelty.

In case no one noticed......farm animals frequently do NOT sleep in luxery hotels or apartments nor do they receive a spa treatment. Get real lady.
That does not mean you should be cruel to farm animals. They do deserve some standard of care, respect and dignity.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:45 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That does not mean you should be cruel to farm animals. They do deserve some standard of care, respect and dignity.
I don't know about dignity which is a bit of a stretch. But certainly reasonable and appropriate care.

Normally cattle are managed for production. Treating them poorly causes losses of production. Thus it would not be usual for a cattle operation to badly treat the animals. I, for one, do not know the proper technieques for managing cattle in high desert heat.

I would think one should sign such a petition only if you know the cattle are being abused.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,363,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I don't know about dignity which is a bit of a stretch. But certainly reasonable and appropriate care.

Normally cattle are managed for production. Treating them poorly causes losses of production. Thus it would not be usual for a cattle operation to badly treat the animals. I, for one, do not know the proper technieques for managing cattle in high desert heat.

I would think one should sign such a petition only if you know the cattle are being abused.
There is no doubt that they are abused. It is in the wide open, just drive by if you get a chance. Conditions are as described or worse!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas