Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 12,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I don't think that's necessarily a fair assessment. My cat has never trashed anything, and he pees outside, so no litter box to smell up the place. The dog can be a little destructive when she's left alone for too long, but she's mostly just a hazard to my shoes.

I just wonder why the landlord lied to the OP about the paint? It only costs a little more to use the non-toxic stuff and you'd think if a tenant told you upfront about an allergy or sensitivity or whatever, you'd try to accommodate them, rather than have a big old hassle. Hell, OP might have even been amenable to paying a little extra for the paint. I know if I told a landlord I wanted a special paint and he said "okay, but you have to pay the difference, it's 50 bucks", I'd have said OK.

If I were OP, I'd be pissed about the lie, more than the actual paint. You don't want dishonesty in a business relationship, and a landlord / tenant relationship is business.
the room was already painted when i went to see the place, so i didnt have the option to choose the paint
im not sure why he said it was non-toxic maybe he thought i wouldnt move in if he said, no it's not non toxic

people are talking about pet deposits now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilynv View Post
the room was already painted when i went to see the place, so i didnt have the option to choose the paint
im not sure why he said it was non-toxic maybe he thought i wouldnt move in if he said, no it's not non toxic

people are talking about pet deposits now
Thread drift, it happens. Are you still sleeping outside?

Old 11-10-2013, 03:55 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
For clarification, how exactly is the paint toxic? Most interior paints are latex based, are you saying you have an allergy to those standard paints?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 PM

do you think i should be able to get any of my rent back this month or will i lose it all? i have a security deposit too
its a lot of money for me

i stayed with a friend a few days, im trying to sleep outisde if i can unless it's too cold, tonight its not as bad as some days earlier, but itll probably be too cold the rest of the month, but sometimes im even forcing myself to sleep outside because im thinking that it'll be worse to be exposed to the paint, but sometimes its just too cold that i cant do it
i found some temporary places that i can move in immediately that are month to month, should i just get out and leave and ask for part of my rent back? and how much "should" i ask for, or none? i dont really know what to do i guess im a bit stressed out

thanks for any replies so far, i read through them

Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
Couchsurfing.org

Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
How do you know it's the paint making you sick? Seems really bizarre.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
How do you know it's the paint making you sick? Seems really bizarre.
i lived over a year in another room in the same building, until the owner put new carpet and paint
im sure that voc's do make me sick

and there are voc's used in the paint
i get bad headaches, coughing, etc. when i'm inside, it's not as bad if ive been outside all day
no one has lived in it since it was painted so even though i twas a few months ago it hasnt been "lived in" so its probably still offgassing a bit, i can still smell something near the walls
i dont know what else it could be, and voc's in paint definitely does make me sick so im pretty sure its the paint

Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Would an air purifier help? I mean, moving really sucks, so if there's an alternative......

Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
Ask if they can provide you another apartment that has been painted with voc free paint or paint that has been there for a long time. If not, politely ask them to release you from your lease agreement as you have a medical condition that prevents you from living there. If you have to leave, then leave. You might want to get a doctor's note that describes your condition to provide to them. That might reduce the potential for them coming after you in court.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Ask if they can provide you another apartment that has been painted with voc free paint or paint that has been there for a long time. If not, politely ask them to release you from your lease agreement as you have a medical condition that prevents you from living there. If you have to leave, then leave. You might want to get a doctor's note that describes your condition to provide to them. That might reduce the potential for them coming after you in court.
i asked them to move me to another place but they said they cant change my apartment because the apartments have different owners, they are just the broker
i told them im moving out and if they release me from the lease ill accept this month rent as a loss, and ill help list the apartment and show the room and ill pay to have the place cleaned

Last edited by emilynv; 11-12-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas