Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,838,671 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever attend one here in Vegas. Perhaps Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or at the Greek Festival? Sure would be a good way to educate the public about fake EVOO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,554,022 times
Wat?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,838,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Wat?
It's like a wine tasting event except one is tasting different EVOOs instead of wine.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,061,885 times
Plenty of this in Northern California. I've never seen one in the valley, though. This would be a great idea for a small specialty food store like Village Meat and Deli or Artisinal. (Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are just as likely to have bogus olive oil as the megamarts.)

If anyone plans to side-by-side some olive oils, just keep in mind that the experts wear dark classes and sample the oil from tinted containers so that the color doesn't skew their judgement. When I evaluate olive oil, I do so by dipping a piece of bread and eating it. Olive oil is never consumed by itself -- "Bartender! Pour me a shot of EVOO, with a beer chaser!"

It is always eaten with food. So I taste it with bread. Professional olive oil judges (yes, there are such people) don't do this. They just sip a bit of oil. They're basically looking for mad polyphenol levels. That's one way of doing it, for sure. And probably the most accurate and consistent. But I mostly care about how the oil tastes when paired with food. So my "dip some bread" thing works for me.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 11-19-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 05:54 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,158,427 times
Why on earth? What?
Stop the planet, I want off.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:45 PM

210 posts, read 451,128 times
Actually the FDA should conduct undercover stings. Spooking the other 70% of fake EVOO into hiding.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,191,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Plenty of this in Northern California. I've never seen one in the valley, though. This would be a great idea for a small specialty food store like Village Meat and Deli or Artisinal. (Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are just as likely to have bogus olive oil as the megamarts.)

If anyone plans to side-by-side some olive oils, just keep in mind that the experts wear dark classes and sample the oil from tinted containers so that the color doesn't skew their judgement. When I evaluate olive oil, I do so by dipping a piece of bread and eating it. Olive oil is never consumed by itself -- "Bartender! Pour me a shot of EVOO, with a beer chaser!"

It is always eaten with food. So I taste it with bread. Professional olive oil judges (yes, there are such people) don't do this. They just sip a bit of oil. They're basically looking for mad polyphenol levels. That's one way of doing it, for sure. And probably the most accurate and consistent. But I mostly care about how the oil tastes when paired with food. So my "dip some bread" thing works for me.
What do the high-end Vegas restaurants do about sourcing their olive oil?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,061,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What do the high-end Vegas restaurants do about sourcing their olive oil?
We get a free sample, then if we like it, we buy it by the 55-gallon drum. And then we sample dozens of high-end olive oils and buy those in the largest quantities available -- usually 3 liter containers, one pallet at a time. We never have more than a 1-month supply. Olive oil is basically fruit juice. It should be treated like fruit juice. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 AM

553 posts, read 1,213,606 times
I have only taken a few steps into Cucina Olive Oil at Tivoli Village a couple of times. It is a store devoted to olive oil. As I recall, sample tasting is routinely available there.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:17 AM

8,434 posts, read 4,618,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
So, you're sort of a bogus olive oil judge then?

Sorry Scoop, couldn't help it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas