Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 02:15 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,526,049 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find if there is there is a law that cites it is a violation to park against the flow of traffic.

Is there a specific code under NRS484B? Would it be found in city code for traffic laws? I can't find anything under city or state statutes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 04:57 PM

391 posts, read 1,025,137 times
I found this:
NRS: CHAPTER 484B - RULES OF THE ROAD

NRS 484B.457  Parallel and angle parking; stopping, standing and parking on highways under jurisdiction of Department of Transportation.
1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a highway where there are adjacent curbs must be stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to and within 18 inches of the right-hand curb.
2.  Local authorities may by ordinance permit parking of vehicles with the left-hand wheels adjacent to and within 18 inches of the left-hand curb of a one-way highway.
3.  Local authorities may by ordinance permit angle parking on any highway, except that angle parking must not be permitted on any highway constructed and maintained by the Department of Transportation under the authority granted by chapter 408 of NRS unless the Department has determined that the highway is of sufficient width to permit angle parking without interfering with the free movement of traffic.
4.  The Department of Transportation with respect to highways under its jurisdiction may place official traffic-control devices prohibiting or restricting the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles on any such highway where, in its opinion, such stopping, standing or parking is dangerous to those using the highway or where the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles would unduly interfere with the free movement of traffic thereon. It is unlawful for any person to stop, stand or park any vehicle in violation of the restrictions stated on those devices.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1500; A 1979, 1806)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.403)

Old 11-21-2013, 05:27 PM

Well it's a residential neighborhood street, not a highway. Dunno if this helps but thank you.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 PM

11,138 posts, read 15,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I'm trying to find if there is there is a law that cites it is a violation to park against the flow of traffic.

Is there a specific code under NRS484B? Would it be found in city code for traffic laws? I can't find anything under city or state statutes.
Yes, it will be found in city codes. For example, here is the one for North Las Vegas:

10.48.010 Standing or parking close to curb.
[LEFT] Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there are adjacent curbs shall be so stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel to and within eighteen (18) inches of the right-hand curb.[/LEFT]

Municode

Note that the right-side wheels of the car have to be parked by the curb.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Yeah I can't find it under city codes either.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
It's illegal, that's why you don't see locals doing it.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah I can't find it under city codes either.

What city?

I already provided NLV above. Here's the similar code for Clark County:

14.40.040 Additional parking regulations.
[LEFT](a) Distance of Wheels From Curb. Except as otherwise provided in this section, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there are adjacent curbs shall be so stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel to and within eighteen inches of the right-hand curb. [/LEFT]
(b)
One-way Roadway. The board of commissioners may by ordinance permit parking of vehicles with the left-hand wheels adjacent to and within eighteen inches of the left-hand curb of a one-way roadway.
(c)
Angle Parking. The board of commissioners may by ordinance permit angle parking on any roadway, except that angle parking shall not be permitted on any federal aid or state highway unless the department of highways has determined that the roadway is of sufficient width to permit angle parking without interfering with the free movement of traffic.
(d)
No Parking. The board of commissioners with respect to highways under its jurisdiction may place signs prohibiting or restricting the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles on any highway where, in its opinion, such stopping, standing or parking is dangerous to those using the highway or where the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles would unduly interfere with the free movement of traffic thereon. Such signs shall be official signs and no person shall stop, stand or park any vehicle in violation of the restrictions stated on such signs.

Municode

Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 PM

You're right Bethesda, this is the code. At first glance it just looks like it is saying the wheels should be parallel to the curb, but I read it further. Is there a similar code for City of Las Vegas?

Best I could find is this.

11.52.040 Parallel norm—Distance from curb

No person shall stand or park a vehicle in a roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of lawful traffic movement and with the wheels of the vehicle within eighteen inches of the curb or edge of the roadway except as otherwise provided in this Chapter.

Last edited by ddrhazy; 11-21-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
You're right Bethesda, this is the code. At first glance it just looks like it is saying the wheels should be parallel to the curb, but I read it further. Is there a similar code for City of Las Vegas?

Best I could find is this.

11.52.040 Parallel norm—Distance from curb

No person shall stand or park a vehicle in a roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of lawful traffic movement and with the wheels of the vehicle within eighteen inches of the curb or edge of the roadway except as otherwise provided in this Chapter.
Yes, that is the correct cite for the City of Las Vegas. I've bolded the pertinent section above. If you park against the flow of traffic within city limits, you are in violation of 11.52.040.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks Bethesda, it's not a violation I committed but I needed to see the specific code for my own reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas