Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,663,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
At least for CCSD, plenty of times teachers have to come out of pocket for basic necessities for students in the classroom.(copy paper, dry erase markers, hand sanitizer, printer ink)

For the past 4 years(before this school year) we never had a teacher that didn't request classroom supplies or supplies to help a low income child from the parents.

This year is different because we are at a magnet school. Hardly any school supplies need. Just about everything is supplied, even brand new jackets and name brand shoes.

So the real question is; Why isn't all if CCSD run like magnet schools?

Sent from watch

Because they are very expensive, which is why:

Quote:
This year is different because we are at a magnet school. Hardly any school supplies need. Just about everything is supplied, even brand new jackets and name brand shoes.
They also have a lower student/teacher ratio.

Always remember, when you can kick out the trouble makers and reject the kids that don't qualify, you will always get a better school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,139,125 times
Went from a max classroom size of 35 to currently 26 or 27.

Sent from watch

Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 AM

When I was teaching Alg. 1 Honors, I had over 40 in a classroom.

There is a directive from the district to increase the percent of students in honors classes year over year. The unintended consequence is that students who shouldn't be there end up there as site administrators fulfill their directive. Since a larger and larger percent of the students will struggle, the class pace slows down.

Another reason that they packed them was that classroom management is easier in honors classes.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:10 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,769,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
When I was teaching Alg. 1 Honors, I had over 40 in a classroom.

There is a directive from the district to increase the percent of students in honors classes year over year. The unintended consequence is that students who shouldn't be there end up there as site administrators fulfill their directive. Since a larger and larger percent of the students will struggle, the class pace slows down.

Another reason that they packed them was that classroom management is easier in honors classes.
I hate everything about that sentence.. not everyone gets a trophy, not everyone gets to win. There are smart kids and stupid kids. Not everyone has ADHD, sometimes they're just hyper. I hate that the "district" is setting kids up for utter failure once they graduate, thinking that they are entitled to everything just because they've always been given everything.

How about, no kid, you aren't in shape enough to be on the track team? No kid, you can't be a starter on the baseball team because you aren't good enough. No kid, you aren't smart enough to be in honors class.

When are adults going to stop lying to the kids? We're raising a generation of children who have absolutely no idea how the world works.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,139,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I hate everything about that sentence.. not everyone gets a trophy, not everyone gets to win. There are smart kids and stupid kids. Not everyone has ADHD, sometimes they're just hyper. I hate that the "district" is setting kids up for utter failure once they graduate, thinking that they are entitled to everything just because they've always been given everything.

How about, no kid, you aren't in shape enough to be on the track team? No kid, you can't be a starter on the baseball team because you aren't good enough. No kid, you aren't smart enough to be in honors class.

When are adults going to stop lying to the kids? We're raising a generation of children who have absolutely no idea how the world works.
Good point. This was the first year that we didn't give our youth soccer team trophies for just participating. Our record was 5-7 for the season. Our last game this season we got beat by a team that was 11-1. That team really deserved their trophies. My team of kids were shocked/crying that they didn't receive trophies. These are 10-12 year olds who don't comprehend losing well.

All the the parents came together and decided that by not giving out "thank you for playing" trophies that they will understand hard work and practice will pay off.

(Except one parent who decided to go against what the team agreed on. She went ahead and purchased a nice trophy for her son. He was probably one of the worst players, but he doesn't know that.)

Sent from watch

Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post

You'd be hard pressed to find a teacher or site administrator that would disagree with you. District administrators are so far removed from the classroom, I don't know why they don't just build them a palace in the clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas