Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times

Advertisements

they blew that temperature forecast. low was suppose to be 25F / -3.9C this morning - i think we dipped just below freezing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
I just want to be warm and dry.
Here is a little history lesson. Thirty some odd years ago several of us old timers were sitting around having a discussion about what exactly was the most precious commodity in this valley....some said gold..some said silver...some said gaming...however a few of the older fellas said....WATER !

Without that natural resource, all the gold and silver, and gambling halls are kinda worthless. A man much wiser than I, made that point , and time has proven him 100 percent correct. You moved to the desert Southwest...did you ever once stop to think about where that water you drink, or shower with, comes from ?

You need to look no farther than to our good neighbors to the North (Utah) and you will quickly understand the the value...of water. They literally pray for a heavy snow pack...and welcome those occasional soaking rains. They protect their water rights and are in no quick hurry to share...trust me on that one !

The next time you turn on a faucet....or step under that warm shower....just stop for a moment and think about where that water comes from...think about how terrible your life would be without that natural resource !

You independently chose to pack up and move 2400 miles to an area with a very long and documented history of extremes...there should be no surprises !

Take a quick ride out to Lake Meade...look at those demarcation lines...that was then...this is now !

I have seen a whole lot of folks come and go from this valley...for as many reasons as their are people...some look no further than the fountains on the Strip...or lush green golf courses and just assume there is no water shortage...yes my friend..there is !

There is NO perfect place...in time you will learn...this cold, damp weather will pass...should you decide to remain...there will come a day when you will welcome those very occasional rain showers....we need the water ...NOT the flooding....don't confuse

If you want warm and dry....might I suggest your oven...just kidding...however on a more serious note....stop and think about what I have written...the day may come when you too will wish for a rainy day....just one ol timers opinion !

Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
Do you think rain is a magical way to increase the amount of water on earth? It's not. It's nothing more than the redistribution of water. No more is created by rain.

I understand the need of water for survival but that doesn't mean I need to like rain or even appreciate it for if I did I would have never left the 40 some odd inches of rain I left behind.

I feel as if it is my right and perhaps duty to conplain about the conditions shortsighted men have created in order to obtain a resource that is useless. You can't eat or drink money.

[orphaned response to deleted post]

Last edited by observer53; 12-09-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 04:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
If you think it rains too much in LV (based on the time you've spent here, you will have to find someplace with even less average precipitation. And there are not a lot of those. Occasional weather extremes occur in LV just like they do in many other cities with a generally favorable climate. Don't take it personally, or blame the people who developed LV for it.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:13 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,120 times
Yuma AZ is drier than LV!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,708,654 times
Atacama Desert in Chile is awesome if you hate rain. I hear there is even gold to be found there.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM

I wasn't speaking specifically about the Las Vegas founders/developers. I was speaking about humans in general.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Atacama Desert in Chile is awesome if you hate rain. I hear there is even gold to be found there.
I've been there! Try to wrap your head around this! .01 annual precipitation per year!

Riding the bus from Arica to Iquique to Antofagasta I never so much as saw even a scraggly cacti!

It makes the Mojave and Sonoran deserts look like jungles!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 PM

I would totally go there...if the wife would let me

Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
This past week has been cold ..."for us". But where I grew up back east in WV this would be a nice mild winter.

It could probably rain every day for a year in the Valley and not raise the level of Lake Mead by an inch. To put water in Lake Mead you have to pray for snow in the Rockies, and it has to be above normal snowfall for about seven years. And not just the Rockies, but specifically, the west slope of the Rockies.

I like this weather, but I fear for my pipes sometimes. Like everybody else, I hate the wind. I never seem to learn that wind and Christmas decorations don't mix. And doing anything outside in wind is bad enough, but cold wind makes it unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas