Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:50 PM

10 posts, read 16,225 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Las Vegas (Henderson) in late July from Chicago. In the Chicagoland area we have a few different medical healthcare groups that provide great and NOT so great medical services.

Can anyone give me feedback or recommendations on what hospitals or medical groups to go with in the Vegas area? Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:15 PM

792 posts, read 1,298,767 times
There was a recent thread regarding hospitals in Vegas ...just hit the search option. Many services and facilities might be dictated by your carrier...see who they recommend you use...and go from there. St Rose is out in your proposed neck of the woods...they have come a long way over the years !

Some people will swear by the quality of medical care in the valley....some will strongly recommend to go to the airport...it's really a personal thing !

Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 16,225 times
Really the airport? What's the deal with that?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,061,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLazy View Post

Longtime Las Vegas saying " Where do you go to get the best medical care in Las Vegas?" "McCarran"

We aren't exactly known for quality care in the valley, though there are efforts to change that, and there are some good providers here.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:51 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,270,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLazy View Post
Cynical Las Vegans answer the question: "Where do you go in Las Vegas for the best medical care?" Ans: "The airport". In other words, fly down to LA and go to Cedars Sinai.

We have good and bad hospitals like everyone else. If you've been shot and have no insurance don't go to Sunrise. You'll die in the parking lot. It's happened. But if you have a serious heart issue, you'll only want to go to Sunrise.

I wouldn't go to any of the Desert Springs group around town. They're the worst.

The county hospital, United Medical Center, aka: UMC, is a very good hospital. They have the only burn unit in town also and it's apparently pretty state of the art.

Unfortunately, I've spent a lot of time in at least half of our hospitals, and had surgeries in most of those. From now on, I don't want any more surgeries, but if necessary I want Sunrise or UMC.

I went to this new place one day not long ago for a prescription and was highly impressed. Urgent Care Las Vegas | Health Care | Physicals, Illness & Injury

Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,480,280 times
Basing from family experiences we were satisfied with the care from UMC, Mountain View Medical Center, Spring Valley Medical Center, St. Rose San Martin Campus and Southern Hills Hospital. The latter 3 are all in Spring Valley.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Cynical Las Vegans answer the question: "Where do you go in Las Vegas for the best medical care?" Ans: "The airport". In other words, fly down to LA and go to Cedars Sinai.

We have good and bad hospitals like everyone else. If you've been shot and have no insurance don't go to Sunrise. You'll die in the parking lot. It's happened. But if you have a serious heart issue, you'll only want to go to Sunrise.

I wouldn't go to any of the Desert Springs group around town. They're the worst.

The county hospital, United Medical Center, aka: UMC, is a very good hospital. They have the only burn unit in town also and it's apparently pretty state of the art.

Unfortunately, I've spent a lot of time in at least half of our hospitals, and had surgeries in most of those. From now on, I don't want any more surgeries, but if necessary I want Sunrise or UMC.

I went to this new place one day not long ago for a prescription and was highly impressed. Urgent Care Las Vegas | Health Care | Physicals, Illness & Injury
Looks interesting, Buzz. Years and years ago, I worked for a group called NMC. We gad that sort of one-stop-shop too. Labs, X-rays, etc. all on site. Need to see a cardiologist, he's upstairs.. that sort of thing.

Nowadays, NMC is long gone. OP, I can recommend the Phillips Clinic for Primary Care needs. They are not in Henderson, but the southwest, so not that far.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:25 AM

A little off topic yet relevant...a family member recently needed partial hand reconstruction surgery and was referred to a Doc up in St George at Intermountain , by a Doc here in the valley. Now, at first I was a tad skeptical....I was wrong.

That facility did a phenominal job...the Doc, a very young guy, prior military having seen tons of tramatic hand injuries, did a fantastic job. Surgery lasted about 6 hours and when the Doc came out to update...he looked like he had just read "War and Peace" backwards. He just smiled and said..."I gave it all I had...I'm very optimistic".....

I'm saying this not to detract from medical treatment in LV....but after many, many years I will never look at that little gem up in St George the same way...ever again. The facility was extremely clean, the treating physician was awesome, and the staff went above and beyond. Options are always a good thing !

Last edited by Irish4evr; 12-10-2013 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Sentence structure

Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
A little off topic yet relevant...a family member recently needed partial hand reconstruction surgery and was referred to a Doc up in St George at Intermountain , by a Doc here in the valley. Now, at first I was a tad skeptical....I was wrong.

That facility did a phenominal job...the Doc, a very young guy, prior military having seen tons of tramatic hand injuries, did a fantastic job. Surgery lasted about 6 hours and when the Doc came out to update...he looked like he had just read "War and Peace" backwards. He just smiled and said..."I gave it all I had...I'm very optimistic".....

I'm saying this not to detract from medical treatment in LV....but after many, many years I will never look at that little gem up in St George the same way...ever again. The facility was extremely clean, the treating physician was awesome, and the staff went above and beyond. Options are always a good thing !
Glad to hear it. The problem with many insurance companies is that they force you to use providers from their contracted list. If you have traditional Medicare, you can go wherever you want.

I think the main problem in Vegas, is access. We have a low number of physicians per capita compared to most of the country. It's hard to recruit young physicians because those with families are well aware of the reputation our school district has, and of the low reimbursement rates from the local private payers.

That said, there are some real gems here. It just might take a long time to get an appointment.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Glad to hear it. The problem with many insurance companies is that they force you to use providers from their contracted list. If you have traditional Medicare, you can go wherever you want.

I think the main problem in Vegas, is access. We have a low number of physicians per capita compared to most of the country. It's hard to recruit young physicians because those with families are well aware of the reputation our school district has, and of the low reimbursement rates from the local private payers.

That said, there are some real gems here. It just might take a long time to get an appointment.
Very well said...the points you make are spot on....this particular Ortho Doc chose St George strictly based on where he wanted to raise his family...schools, church, recreation.....getting a referral out can be tough...but it can be done...your comments hit the nail on the head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas