U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,918 times

Advertisements

My husband has an interview next week for a science job with the CCSD. Needless to say, the comments about the school system, crime, etc. on here have me extremely worried. I have a middle school kid and would check out the schools carefully. IF we move, we are planning on renting an apartment. Houses required larger security deposits and seem to start at $1,200 plus all utilities etc. I see from the posts that Summerlin, Henderson (west) and southwest seem to be the best areas to live. I've looked up apartments online and am amazed that quite a few apartments requirement only small security deposits. Hmmm.
Any comments on the following apartments? These were all listed as Southwest: I appreciate any advise on these or others.

Silverado Village
3750 South Arville
Las Vegas, NV 89103

Silver Stream Apartments
5701 West Rochelle
Las Vegas, NV 89103

Silver Stream Apartments
5701 West Rochelle
Las Vegas, NV 89103

Cimarron Apartments
8301 West Flamingo Road
Las Vegas, NV 89147

Crystal Cove Apartments
3309 SKY COUNTRY LN
LAS VEGAS, NV 89117
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 06:27 PM

15,756 posts, read 34,433,918 times
You don't want 89103. Just west of the strip. Raunchy in places, industrial in others. Likely troubled schools.

89117 and 89147 are better.

You might consider a condo if you can deal with the front end money. They would run $900 or less. Figure 2 to 2.5 times a months rent to get in. Better places in better neighborhoods.

You should also wait until you know where Hubby is working. Don't want to end up with a cross town commute.

You can check out schools at CCSD or click the school button on donohueteam.com. Leads to a ranking of the schools including the middle schools.

There is also a good crime level site at Metro. Google Metro Las Vegas and follow to crime viewer. Does not work for Henderson or N Las Vegas.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,458 times
Whittby, where are you moving from?
The Clark County School District covers the Las Vegas and Henderson areas of the valley. The apartments you are looking at are in not-so-great areas. Arville is not one of the best streets to live on as it is busy with traffic and crime ridden in certain areas. Cimarron is most definitely not a good street to live off of, and certain other areas are becoming more and more gang infested. Areas closer to the strip are of course going to be pretty bad. You need to live on the outskirts of vegas, or in select areas to really benefit from what this town can offer.
Honestly, I would highly recommend looking at Southeastern Henderson areas for a few different reasons. The crime stats in Henderson are much lower than those in Vegas. It is cleaner up here, higher up on the valley, and closer to the lake and Boulder City. You will be commuting anyway you look at it, so the drive really shouldn't be an issue if you are more concerned with safety than mileage. The 215 beltway runs from southeast henderson all the way through mid-southern Vegas, and up around to the northwest area of Vegas. From the far end of Henderson, it will take you at most, 45 minutes to get to the other side of the valley.
If the drive really isn't that big of a deal for you, and you're more concerned with safety and a better area to live... I would strongly suggest looking at Henderson.
If you would like, email me and I can try to help you further. I live in Henderson, and my partner works for the LVMPD.
Take care and good luck!

Old 10-21-2006, 07:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 34,433,918 times
Pass the grain of salt. Parts of Henderson are nice places...parts are not. You can get local crime statistics in Las Vegas or Clark County...you cannot in Henderson.

Henderson is not high...it is low. Less than 1900 feet in what one would call Henderson proper. Sumnmerlin goes up from 2100 feet.

There are areas in Henderson that are well up into the foot hills that are higher...but still lower than Summerlin.

And as we all know...the low places are hotter. Henderson is also where the dust and smog from downtown exits the Valley. It is the low end and generally the way out.

There is still heavy industry in Henderson including industry that tried to blow the entire community off the map a few years ago. Old time locals in Vegas refer to it as Hooterville..reflecting its less than glowing past.

Now back to present reality. Henderson is a nice place...one of many along the perimeter of Las Vegas. Virtually indistinguishable from all the others on the 20 mile circle starting in Henderson and going clockwise to northern NLV.

Figure out where Hubby works and go from there.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:52 AM

19 posts, read 93,416 times
I agree with the above post - stay away from 89103. The other two are much better. Henderson/Green Valley is a nice place and I can personally tell you that 89117 (west side) is a great place as I live there. I wouldn't stay at Cimarron though; look for some place just a little further west. There are some nice places in the Peccole Ranch area of town (between Sahara and Charleston bordered by Ft Apache and Hualapai). And I would stay away from that apartment complex on Starboard Drive (they keep changing the name of it so I don't know what it's called now). But trust me - you don't want to stay there. There are also a multitude of houses that can be rented also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas