Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Awesome. Congrats....but a 70 year old in a Challenger????
Maybe she was from Pasadena?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:19 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
4 people started at the same time as I did. 3 remain.
I don't think I would like sales long term. If I can move up, I'll probably stick with it for a bit. I'd love to be a desk manager. 14k a month, very little customer interaction. Purely running numbers. (There's more to it, but that's the jist)

Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
She is a bad ass. Martial arts, ken do, knife training, sharpshooting. Her even older husband built drag cars and drag bikes.
She eclipsed 100mph on the test drive.

Direct quote "I want to make sure this motherf@#%er can get up and move."
May you get all the cool Grandmas, EA! Maybe she'll refer her friends!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:48 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
How long have the current ones been in the business?

Quote:
4 people started at the same time as I did. 3 remain.
I don't think I would like sales long term. If I can move up, I'll probably stick with it for a bit. I'd love to be a desk manager. 14k a month, very little customer interaction. Purely running numbers. (There's more to it, but that's the jist)

Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM

The one guy has been in customer service for most of his life, no sales.
The other guy has done boat sales, but is used to running businesses for others. He was brought into vegas to set up and run the Wayne Newton museum before it fell through.

My floor manager started as me 11 months ago. She moved up to floor manager within 4 months. Now she's gone into finance, next step is desk. She'd never done sales of any kind before.

My desk manager was a desk manager for a long time at another dealership.
I don't know about the others.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:08 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
So stick with it. If you can survive the attrition you could get their.

Maybe you need a second job until the commission start rolling in?

Quote:
The one guy has been in customer service for most of his life, no sales.
The other guy has done boat sales, but is used to running businesses for others. He was brought into vegas to set up and run the Wayne Newton museum before it fell through.

My floor manager started as me 11 months ago. She moved up to floor manager within 4 months. Now she's gone into finance, next step is desk. She'd never done sales of any kind before.

My desk manager was a desk manager for a long time at another dealership.
I don't know about the others.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:48 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So stick with it. If you can survive the attrition you could get their.

Maybe you need a second job until the commission start rolling in?
A second job is virtually impossible to keep when the primary job is car sales. Although scheduled for a couple days off, if you have an appointment, delivery, etc, you need to be at the dealership. Plus, being a numbers game, the more people you talk to, the more you will sell. That translates to working bell to bell every day. Even as a closer, desk manager, and General Sales Manager, I was often there 70 hours per week, 6 days week. My typical schedule was 8a-9p Mon-Thu, 8a-6p Fri, 8a-5p Sat, and 11a-5p Sun. I would take every other Sunday off (dealers are open 7 days a week in most places). Occassionally I would leave earlier in the afternoon a day or two if it was slow during the week. That schedule (other than Sundays here) is not atypical.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
A second job is virtually impossible to keep when the primary job is car sales. Although scheduled for a couple days off, if you have an appointment, delivery, etc, you need to be at the dealership. Plus, being a numbers game, the more people you talk to, the more you will sell. That translates to working bell to bell every day. Even as a closer, desk manager, and General Sales Manager, I was often there 70 hours per week, 6 days week. My typical schedule was 8a-9p Mon-Thu, 8a-6p Fri, 8a-5p Sat, and 11a-5p Sun. I would take every other Sunday off (dealers are open 7 days a week in most places). Occassionally I would leave earlier in the afternoon a day or two if it was slow during the week. That schedule (other than Sundays here) is not atypical.
Yup. My ex-husband worked car sales for a while. When EA first said that he was taking this job because he needed more time off, I just shook my head.

You can make a good living doing it, but it won't be easy, and time off? Yeah, right.

I bought my car through the online-sales person at a local dealership. That was a reasonably pleasant transaction.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 PM

I've only worked 50-55 hours per week. I get 2 full days off.
I've stayed over 4 hours on Tuesday, but I made 475 bucks from it.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
I've only worked 50-55 hours per week. I get 2 full days off.
I've stayed over 4 hours on Tuesday, but I made 475 bucks from it.
At least you are closed on Sundays, so you get 1 guaranteed day off. But as you build your client list, do not count on taking your other day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas