Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,538 times

Advertisements

So i am relocating to LV this week and i have a place lined up to rent. I made an agreement without seeing the place but its month to month so i can get out of it if im not liking it. The condos in a gated community near the corner of E Tropicana Ave and S Maryland Pkwy. Its off of century garden Dr. I wanted to know if anyone knows the area. I understand that some parts of the area are crime infested. Any info will help so i can know if i need to start lining up a new place to live
THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 PM

35 posts, read 136,028 times
I may be moving to that very same area in the near future so I hope you get some good responses.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
It's near the university and is a great area for urban living. There's a lot of pedestrian culture there and tons of great bars and cheap restaurants. Both of the city's best libraries are there as well as theatre, dance and orchestra performances year round. There is a more crime here, but being in the center of town and close to so many amenities makes this a tradeoff that many people are okay with. You'll have a lot of students living nearby so there will be some parties and loud music to contend with as well. The real seedy area near there is west of Maryland between Flamingo and Desert Inn. I would not recommend renting in that part, but overall, I love the UNLV area.

If you'd rather have peace and quiet and are willing to commute, then you'd be better served living outside the beltway.

Good luck guys!

Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Agree with above, but crime is above average in the overall area you are asking.
I prefer areas west of I-15. The area on the westside I would avoid is a 4-5 block area near Valley View and Sirius/Penwood.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 PM

151 posts, read 227,453 times
That area is known for crime, but there is a difference between the south side of Trop and Maryland and the north side of Trop and Maryland. Being on the north side of that intersection is safer than the south. One of the perks of living there though is that it is close to everything and lots of good restaurants and bars. Good thing you did not sign a long term lease though. You're not alone... It seems like everyone lives in that area when they first get here!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:53 PM

thank you. Very helpful info.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:30 PM

what about any good restaurants in this area?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Those condos are on the edge. Hit the right unit you are good for years. Hit the wrong one you will be out in a month.

I agree the area is nice for an urban oriented person. But the condos are very, very variable.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 PM

35 posts, read 136,028 times
I think I'm going to be on Trop between Eastern and Pecos Mac.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
Austinman - you will be by several good grocery stores, especially the Sunflower Market. There's a new farmers market at Trop/Topaz that I haven't been to and of course the Pinball museum a one of a kind place. Paradise Park is nice little park compared to most older neighborhoods. I spent all of my college years living around here and loved it. The WalMart moved out of this neighborhood recently leaving a ghost town of a strip mall. If you wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle a little you could look south of there to Sunset (great park on Sunset/Eastern) or Warm Springs, which is still convenient but a little quieter.

Good restaurants in the UNLV area? these are a few that I like
Crown and Anchor
Daily Chicken
Paymon's
Toto's

but there are literally dozens of places around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas