Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xafpilot View Post
There is a fair chance that NLV may file for bankruptcy. Should that happen, the state would come in and take over the city which will essentially take the "democracy" away from the NLV voters. Furthermore, a potential NLV bankruptcy may very well may damage the rest of the Las Vegas area. This reason alone is a good reason to stay away from NLV. If one is renting, that is a another situation.
Not how it works...which is too bad in a way. You can't throw out labor contracts via BK for instance. What actually happens is the state moves in and raises taxes. But that is not as bad as it sounds in that virtually all tax bills have been halved over the last years...so taxes would simply go back up a bit. Taxes however are already high in NLV and may run into Constitutional limits.

One simple solution might be to dissolve the city. Throw it all back into Clark County which is pretty well off. That would require at least state legislation if not a Constitutional amendment.

I don't see any big risks to the NLV citizens from all this. Closed parks? I expect they will survive.

May well see the sales of City Hall and the new Sewer Plant. And there has been some damage done to long term stuff...reserves for future expenses have been borrowed and there will be a terrible urge not to pay them back.

None of this though is terribly scary. May be more risk to the overall Valley economic outlook than to the well being of the NLV citizenry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Yes, I live in NY. If said this many times. It's not a secret. I've also visited Vegas many times, and spend nearly as much time off the strip as on. I intend to move there at some point, and have done significant research and shopped real estate there numerous times. I have family there.

Now I'm sure that there are plenty of nice houses in nice developments in NLV. The same is true of pretty much all of the municipalities in Vegas. But of all of them NLV seems to have the worst problems. It's government has the worst finances. It goes back and forth between NLV and the City of LV as to who has the highest concentration of bad areas. Now maybe you don't feel that those facts don't effect you, but there's no what those two things can't effect the quality and prices of city services (meaning taxes), and to some extent the local politics.

Also, big chunks of NLV seem to have not great highway access, and what they have goes in suboptimal directions. And it appears (and maybe this has changed) that a big hunk of the beltway up there is still a local road with traffic lights, and not a real limited access highway. And if you take the center of gravity of employment in Vegas as the strip, Unless you're along the 15, access there is not great (compare to most of Henderson, and large chunks of the mid and southwest. Yes, I know that there are plenty of LV residents who pride themselves on never going to the strip, but given how many jobs are down there, access to it still has value. And it general, it just seems to be farther out from everything than the other areas of the valley.

Now, maybe you don't care about any of the above. Maybe you got a good enough deal on your house that you were compensated for any negatives. Maybe you have some particular reason why NLV works well for you (you work at Nellis, the new VA hospital, etc..) But, compared to the other areas in metro Vegas, those are plenty of reasons not to live there. Since you seem to be pretty heavily invested both emotionally and financially, you may not see that (or want to see it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Hey, I guess that's their opinon for whatever reason but I was puzzled when I saw that quoted in your post as well. Further investigation shows that the poster who wrote that is from NY and is one of those I know a lot about Vegas because I visit a lot touristy types who want to be here but isn't, lol

Developers have done some amazing things there in North Las Vegas It was a waste land many many decades ago, but driving through those nice communities and areas now, who WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE THERE!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:28 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Most visitors make it to Owens St. and think that is a honest representation of what NLV is all about. There is still 15-20 more miles to discover up north. And that's if you stay inside the 215 beltway. If you scootch over west to Aliante/Centennial area it's reaches 30-35 miles.(even though it's not the city of NLV anymore).

Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Yes, I live in NY. If said this many times. It's not a secret. I've also visited Vegas many times, and spend nearly as much time off the strip as on. I intend to move there at some point, and have done significant research and shopped real estate there numerous times. I have family there.

Now I'm sure that there are plenty of nice houses in nice developments in NLV. The same is true of pretty much all of the municipalities in Vegas. But of all of them NLV seems to have the worst problems. It's government has the worst finances. It goes back and forth between NLV and the City of LV as to who has the highest concentration of bad areas. Now maybe you don't feel that those facts don't effect you, but there's no what those two things can't effect the quality and prices of city services (meaning taxes), and to some extent the local politics.

Also, big chunks of NLV seem to have not great highway access, and what they have goes in suboptimal directions. And it appears (and maybe this has changed) that a big hunk of the beltway up there is still a local road with traffic lights, and not a real limited access highway. And if you take the center of gravity of employment in Vegas as the strip, Unless you're along the 15, access there is not great (compare to most of Henderson, and large chunks of the mid and southwest. Yes, I know that there are plenty of LV residents who pride themselves on never going to the strip, but given how many jobs are down there, access to it still has value. And it general, it just seems to be farther out from everything than the other areas of the valley.

Now, maybe you don't care about any of the above. Maybe you got a good enough deal on your house that you were compensated for any negatives. Maybe you have some particular reason why NLV works well for you (you work at Nellis, the new VA hospital, etc..) But, compared to the other areas in metro Vegas, those are plenty of reasons not to live there. Since you seem to be pretty heavily invested both emotionally and financially, you may not see that (or want to see it.)
This is one of the most inaccurate things I have read on this forum in a long time.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
This is one of the most inaccurate things I have read on this forum in a long time.

Exactly.

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 01-28-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

No, I have no vested interested in NLV. I don't live there, don't own there, don't work there, have no intention of ever locating or buying there.

But I HAVE driven around the beautiful neighborhoods and was surprised at what I saw. Pristine, well kept, reminded me of the Summerlin area. Being a native Las Vegan and keeping to my own home turf area, I had no idea of the extent that NLV was developed. I was amazed when Summerlin was developed as well, and how beautiful that turned out. Same thing with the wasteland that is now called "Green Valley"

So no, I have no emotional or financial ties to the area, nor do I know anyone who lives there.

But hey, if you don't like the City of North Las Vegas, that's your opinion and we have to respect it, just like you have to respect the opinions of us locals who know better, lol

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 01-28-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Where is the beltway a local road? And not a limited highway? Maybe 7-8 years ago...

Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 AM

Did the finish the section between Decatur and 93? There were a couple of standard surface intersections there. I wouldn't be too surprised if they got around to finishing it, but I don't know that they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Where is the beltway a local road? And not a limited highway? Maybe 7-8 years ago...

Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 AM

So NLV doesn't have the worst municipal finances in Clark County? It doesn't have a high concentration of poor, high crime areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post

Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 PM

89 posts, read 116,153 times
I think that the NW area is great but in my opinion Providence is awful! There are some good neighborhoods but those are surrounded by soon-to-be slums. The vast amount of apartments and those three story homes in time will not retain their value and will pull the rest of the master plan down with it. The area is simply too transient and far too many Section 8 renters.

My arrival in Las Vegas was just before that Smith's shopping center on the corner of Elkhorn and Durrango opened and now look at the shopping center. You would not catch me there after dark and am still amazed how that has fallen down over the past years. My suggestion for NW Las Vegas, west of Durrango, south of CC-215 Beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas