Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:42 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Very true.. A large tech employer like Zappos would never locate here.. wait a minute!

So for you the online retailer selling shoes, clothing.... is high tech, more power to you!Not that there is anything wrong with Zappos, as a matter of fact it helped rejuvenate parts of Downtown Vegas. By the way I have yet to order anything from Zappos, I may just have to check it out and find out high tech it really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Well, considering their website is ranked #258 for traffic in the US and they are considered one of the largest online retailers, yes, I consider them high tech.

They hire many software developers, network admins, and other IT related staff. I don't see them relocating out of Vegas because they can't get the talent they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
So for you the online retailer selling shoes, clothing.... is high tech, more power to you!Not that there is anything wrong with Zappos, as a matter of fact it helped rejuvenate parts of Downtown Vegas. By the way I have yet to order anything from Zappos, I may just have to check it out and find out high tech it really is.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Don't forget about Switch. It doesn't get much more high-tech than that. They host many critical servers for govt. as well as the private sector. Data Centers Las Vegas, NV | Colocation, Cloud Services, NAP | Switch

Also, UNLV has a supercomputing center, and some local companies have been featured in tech magazines for their level of advancement in their various industries.

Did you know that if you get an MRI on a Toshiba unit anywhere in the world, the protocols are developed right here by a local imaging center?

Vegas gets a bad rap for being "stupid."

As far as NLV's finances go, the new mayor just blew the lid off that can of worms, so we shall see what happens.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:52 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Well, considering their website is ranked #258 for traffic in the US and they are considered one of the largest online retailers, yes, I consider them high tech.

They hire many software developers, network admins, and other IT related staff. I don't see them relocating out of Vegas because they can't get the talent they need.
I got a call back from them about an IT sys admin position, the pay SUCKS. I don't see how they get any good people with pay like that!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I got a call back from them about an IT sys admin position, the pay SUCKS. I don't see how they get any good people with pay like that!
I think I have heard this from at least 3 people now.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times
What really sticks in my craw is that they were able to find endless millions to build a new "justice center" and then that monstrosity of a city hall.

No wonder they're going broke.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:14 PM

727 posts, read 1,056,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
What really sticks in my craw is that they were able to find endless millions to build a new "justice center" and then that monstrosity of a city hall.

No wonder they're going broke.
You are absolutely correct that is a major part of the problem. Now we have to pay for them and there really is no going back. They can try to sell them but will only get pennies on the dollar. Can you say politicians gone wild?

Also, whenever they ask the unions for givebacks they say the problem is those buildings and not them. The reality is that the union contracts and those buildings are the problems and the only one that can be reduced is the union contracts.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:20 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
I have a couple friends who work at Zappos, their pay isn't top, but I don't think it's terrible. They are skilled people too, not bottom of the barrel.

I know there have been a lot of bonuses in the last few years and they just instituted a new program where you get an extra three months off after you've worked for them for seven years. I know some of their positions have flexible schedules, 4 10's, etc. It's supposedly an awesome environment to work in, if you're into that sort of thing.

But they are definitely missing some things. IIRC, no 401k match for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post

Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
the question is.. do the employees enjoy working for Zappos? for me..loving my job is worth more than money

Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the question is.. do the employees enjoy working for Zappos? for me..loving my job is worth more than money
I've worked jobs where I enjoyed working there AND made good money. Those two things should not be mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas