Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 79,293 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to Las Vegas.
I am very worried about the HUGE spiders here. I have see several spiders our back yard, especially at night. And there was one big one in the house. Just wondering if they are all very big in size, and if they normally are in houses here. I do have a pest control service come to the house once a month, but they are still around. Shouldnt they all be dead? Do they only come out at night? Are there any other pest control divices I can buy?
I would really appreciate some info ....thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 10:46 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
I don't know what you mean by huge, but when I lived there I always had a heavy black widow problem. Other people there say they've never seen one. I had dozens a week and I could kill 3-5 a night if I went specifically after them after dark with a flashlight. You can recognize them of course by their appearance..black with an orangy hourglass underneath the main body. During the day you can see evidence of them because their webs are erratic and crazily woven, like they took LSD before spinning. I had pest control out too, and it didn't clear out the spiders, but the black widows were my main problem. I never saw a scorpion or a camel spider, or a brown recluse spider (they have the white violin shapes on their backs). I've only seen a camel spider in photographs. They aren't truly spiders, but some other distant relation and they're known for being aggressive, but, they rarely bite and they aren't venomous, just scary looking and scary in their aggressiveness. The real spider danger in Las Vegas in my opinion remains Black Widows and I always checked inbetween my sheets before sliding my feet under the covers and under the cushions for my lawn chairs before sitting down on the patio.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:20 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
Spiders are handy little critters, they eat large quantities of harmful and pesky bugs. Black widows and fiddlebacks are harmful to humans but humans rarely get bit. The big ones are not going to hurt you, they are going to help you.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:00 AM

50 posts, read 295,880 times
I never saw the big spiders-just the brown ones and black widows too. I do recall those nasty "bug" that everyone said were water bugs-looked like giant cockroaches to me! They only came out during the hottest months-and we definately had pest control 1x a month-to eliminate that problem-and if you missed a month-those pesty creatures showed up. Also remember they made humming/buzzing noises? I did have a scorpion in our yard-but again,once we had a regular pest control, didn't see anymore after that.

Remember you do live in the desert--be prepared for creepy crawly things! I remember being told to never leave shoes outside--spiders love to hide in them and I was always careful if I did to shake my shoes first before putting on.

Those nasty creatures I do not miss!

Old 11-11-2006, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 109,932 times
I have a bug man come by once a month and when I remembered to ask him about the webs in a hedge bordering my driveway one month he explained that many spiders travel in the wind and some can even get carried up to a mile at a time.
I tend to agree with greatbasinguide that spiders do good for the most part, and now that I think of it in 15+ years as a Las Vegas local I have never had a spider bite although I have surprised more than a few black widows....

Old 11-12-2006, 03:44 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
I lived in Vegas for over nine years and never had a spider problem. I'd see them from time to time but nothing more than any place else I've lived.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 135,575 times
I agree, spiders are useful in their own way.. where I lived recently, they did away with a lot of mosquitoes.. (don't like them either, in fact, most likely more people are bit my them than spiders)... but.. being the absolute maximum arachniphobic that I am.. I do not like little bitty, big shiny, or even hairy spiders.. just don't like spiders period! Black widows are extremely common on your cinder block walls at night.. garages, and other dark places that I don't care to visit.. if they keep their distance they live, but if I encounter them in "my" space, they die... I lived here from the late 40's to the mid 70's.. my family is still here, scorpions, tarantula's, centipedes, snakes, spiders, and all those other desert thingies were here before you and I.. and we're the invaders.. just keep that in mind when you take up "their" space...

Old 12-31-2006, 02:50 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Spiders aren't so bad. They won't bug you if you don't bug them. And they keep the ants away really nicely.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
The big spiders are usually not a threat to you. Those pesky black widows are nasty. Just don't go sticking your hands into dark places. Use a flashlight and look first.

As long as the spiders stay outside, fine. In the house, they are fair game and I will kill them. You can never get them all but you can keep the population down.

I saw lots of scorpions and tarantulas when I lived in Texas. I've never seen any in Vegas.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 75,779 times
ok so i guess i got bitten by a spider today i dont know what kind it was, i had seen one earlier today it was black but not big enough to be a black widow it was about an inch maybe inch and a half accross (including leg span) and like a midnight black i couldnt make out any details because i like to leave them alone and be left alone but it worries me the bite kind of itches and is raised just a little but other than that it seems fine its been an hour since i was bitten maybe a little less (not to sure i was laying down)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas