Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Okay, I think that I have found a solution for myself. I will subscribe to MLB.TV and Unblock-us.

I have been a Giants fan for almost 50 years. When living in Las Vegas, I usually miss all of the televised games. Until MLB changes the blackout rules in for southern Nevada, this will work.
Lots of people have been doing this with NHL and maybe others because the NHL charges less for international customers. You can even use a US address credit card, just has to appear as if you are out of the country when you sign up and start using it. Have even heard after a few weeks you can stop being international, they really just want your money and your settings won't change for blackouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM

9 posts, read 21,571 times
Thanks for the information. We may likely retire in Las Vegas and are die hard Angel fans. We'd love to see as many as possible.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:05 AM

347 posts, read 542,453 times
Quote:
Okay, I think that I have found a solution for myself. I will subscribe to MLB.TV and Unblock-us.
I have been a Giants fan for almost 50 years. When living in Las Vegas, I usually miss all of the televised games. Until MLB changes the blackout rules in for southern Nevada, this will work.
I had a suggestion for you but since you are a die hard Giants fan, I will keep my hints away from you. Go Dodger Blue. LOL see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlovermarcie View Post
Thanks for the information. We may likely retire in Las Vegas and are die hard Angel fans. We'd love to see as many as possible.
If you are an Angels fan coming from so cali, get satellite service and move the sat yourself or get it here and then "move" your service back to cali (friends home but use online billing only). Keep the address in so cali so you get so cali programming instead of the stupid las vegas programming. Trust me you don't want to watch any local produced news. DEPRESSING.. most of them are short term bottom of the communications program lackeys. They don't know the Who, What, Why, Where and How they got on TV and they equally don't know what the hell they are talking about.

It's stupid that we are blacked out by the other markets, So cal, nor cal, AZ and maybe even Ut. Ridiculous.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRJ View Post
I had a suggestion for you but since you are a die hard Giants fan, I will keep my hints away from you. Go Dodger Blue. LOL see below

If you are an Angels fan coming from so cali, get satellite service and move the sat yourself or get it here and then "move" your service back to cali (friends home but use online billing only). Keep the address in so cali so you get so cali programming instead of the stupid las vegas programming. Trust me you don't want to watch any local produced news. DEPRESSING.. most of them are short term bottom of the communications program lackeys. They don't know the Who, What, Why, Where and How they got on TV and they equally don't know what the hell they are talking about.

It's stupid that we are blacked out by the other markets, So cal, nor cal, AZ and maybe even Ut. Ridiculous.
Are you sure this really works? The service can detect where you are at with a high degree of certainty based on your dish angle and your connection over the internet or a phone line. I'm pretty certain their contracts require them to force local programming onto the customer when you live in a metro area with local channels broadcasting.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Back in the Bay Area, I can watch all of the MLB games either locally or via basic Comcast Cable. So, it has been quite frustrating not to be able to watch my CA teams when I am living in Vegas.

Based on what I have read, it has more to do with the teams claiming LV as their home territory since LV does not have a team.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Back in the Bay Area, I can watch all of the MLB games either locally or via basic Comcast Cable. So, it has been quite frustrating not to be able to watch my CA teams when I am living in Vegas.

Based on what I have read, it has more to do with the teams claiming LV as their home territory since LV does not have a team.
I have CSN Bay area and can watch most Warriors, Sharks and Giants. If your an A's fan, you can always stream their games on the internet if you know how to. 49er games are easy since they are televised more frequent since they are a good team. Raiders on the other hand will be a challenge but you can also stream them on the internet.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:31 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I have CSN Bay area and can watch most Warriors, Sharks and Giants. If your an A's fan, you can always stream their games on the internet if you know how to. 49er games are easy since they are televised more frequent since they are a good team. Raiders on the other hand will be a challenge but you can also stream them on the internet.
CSN Bay Area, does both Cox and Direct TV provide that service?

Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Are you sure this really works? The service can detect where you are at with a high degree of certainty based on your dish angle and your connection over the internet or a phone line. I'm pretty certain their contracts require them to force local programming onto the customer when you live in a metro area with local channels broadcasting.
I'm only familiar with Dish Network equipment, but with their equipment, there is no way to communicate azimuth/elevation of the antenna back to Dish Network so they can determine your location. The only way to determine your location through the antenna would be based on which spot beams you can receive. In my experience, they are far more concerned with account "stacking", than people who receive out-of-area programming.

I leave a couple active receivers at our vacation house in Las Vegas year-round, and receiving service has never been a problem. They aren't connected to a phone line, and I've got their MAC addresses blocked at my router (the receivers have built-in PowerLine network adapters). I believe DirecTV is more strict about having receivers connected via phone or Internet. You can always use a VOIP service to give your phone line any area code you want. Since San Francisco locals are on a spot beam, I can't receive them in Las Vegas, so I receive Las Vegas locals over-the-air with a small outdoor antenna.

If you read the satellite TV forums (satelliteguys.us, dbstalk.com), it's a pretty common practice to "move" your service location to a friend/family member's address in the city which has the programming you want to receive (assuming it's on a continental US beam and not a spot beam). I'd check the latest postings there for caveats on "moving" your service.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
A simple and very effective solution would be to become a Yankee fan. It works for me.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
A simple and very effective solution would be to become a Yankee fan. It works for me.
But not all of us want to send Satan a tie for Father's Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas