Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But that's the food equivalent of bringing a knife to a gunfight. If hamburgers were beer:

Jack in the Box = Corona Light
McDonald's = Corona
Burger King = Coors Light
Wendy's = Pabst Blue Ribbon
Sonic = Bud Light
Five Guys = Budweiser
In-N-Out = Michelob
Fatburger = Labatt 50 (now we're getting somewhere)

I hope you're using cheap watery beers in a way to show that this is cheap watery food. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have to say, I wouldn't drink any of those beers, some of my favorites are Fat Tire, Mac & Jack, and Scuttlebutt. If In-N-Out is no better than Carl's Jr., I think I'll try Bobby's, that looks like only .8 miles walk and we certainly don't have that here.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:36 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have to say, I wouldn't drink any of those beers, some of my favorites are Fat Tire, Mac & Jack, and Scuttlebutt. If In-N-Out is no better than Carl's Jr., I think I'll try Bobby's, that looks like only .8 miles walk and we certainly don't have that here.
In N Out and Carl's? Wow nothing could be further apart. Bobby's is good but you're going to spend three times as much there and I doubt you will go home saying I had the best burger ever.

Can't believe how every time burgers are mentioned in this forum the thread gets hijacked like this.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I hope you're using cheap watery beers in a way to show that this is cheap watery food. lol
Exactly. Labatt 50 is actually quite good. It would certainly be my first choice given the above choices in beer. But we haven't reached Sam Adams and certainly not Sierra Nevada levels. And to get to Pliny the Elder territory, it requires hand chopping a mix of A5 Kobe, and grass-fed Prime chuck and short rib.

The only thing most of these burgers have going for them is that they're cheap. That plays well in this city. But even the most "food is nothing but fuel" person can agree that there is a difference between the cheapest Jack in the Box offering and a six-dollar burger from Carl's. And then again a difference between Carls and Fatburger.

In-N-Out isn't the top of the heap in Las Vegas. OP could go to Mandalay Bay -- walk to Excalibur and then take the free tram -- and eat two of the best burgers offered in the city. Burger Bar and StripSteak are both at Mandalay and both have burgers that are worth traveling for. I'd walk a mile for either burger. (In fact, I'd HAVE to walk a mile after that many calories.) I wouldn't cross the street for In-N-Out.

PS -- While I'm at it, here's how to tell the good burger joints from the bad. Ask them if they'll serve a rare hamburger. You don't have to eat it rare, just ask if they will. If they won't, that means they don't trust their beef supplier (and cooks) enough to serve rare beef. They're too afraid of liability. If they can't trust their beef, why should the customer trust them?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:19 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
I think it's funny that the six dollar burger was named to make fun of the then outrageous price decent restaurants charged for a decent burger. If you didn't know that you would think it odd that they would name a burger after what it currently actually costs.

And I agree with Scoop about asking if you can get a burger rare, I like thick non-overcooked category burgers rare or medium rare. I'll ask that question whether I want a burger or not, it tells me bunches about the other food.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I'll ask that question whether I want a burger or not, it tells me bunches about the other food.
That is a very good strategy at any steakhouse or similar type of restaurant. It speaks volumes about the procedures that they have in place.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
I believe there is a health regulation that requires 155 for 15 seconds. That is medium is it not?

Though the way the regulation reads the place can do it for less if requested by the customer.

Steiners is my favorite Hamburger...but they do rare correctly only half the time - particularly likely to be medium or medium well when they are busy.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:47 PM

155f is well done. Basically, that's inedible as far as I'm concerned. We call it "killing the cow twice." It was killed once to get the beef, and then ruined by overcooking the living hell out of it.

Rare = 125f; Medium Rare = 130; Medium = 135; Medium Well = 140-145f; Well = 155f

You can legally serve beef in NV at 130f. Many places WON'T because of liability concerns about their vendor or procedures. Any "prebought" ground beef (comminuted) is supposed to be cooked to 155f. Although the restaurant can grind beef themselves and offer it more rare. (Edit -- with that ubiquitous disclaimer "Consumers are advised that consuming raw or undercooked meat or shellfish can result in illness, particularly for those with compromised immune systems.") Countries with decent agricultural processes don't have to bother with any of that nonsense.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 02-22-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
In N Out and Carl's? Wow nothing could be further apart. Bobby's is good but you're going to spend three times as much there and I doubt you will go home saying I had the best burger ever.

Can't believe how every time burgers are mentioned in this forum the thread gets hijacked like this.

False! Burgers at Bobby's Burger Palace cost $9.50. If you compare it to Mcdonalds dollar burger it is expensive otherwise it is not any higher than any of the fast food burger joints and you get better burger. If you want exceptional hamburgers, make it at home!!

Old 02-23-2014, 01:51 AM

By the time the guest walks out of Bobby's, with drink and tip, it's likely to be $20 per person (albeit with a beer instead of a soda to go with the burger -- because why not).

So yes, three times In-N-Out really isn't an unfair statement. Still worth it, though. I have always enjoyed Flay's food -- yes, it's a great deal of corn, grits, peppers and cheese. But I happen to like all of that and he's one of the very few Food TV people who I think justifies the prices that they charge on the menu. (Batali is another.) Flays sauces are wonderful, and the food is straightforward -- that's not a bad thing. The bulk of the Food TV jag-offs serve food that ranges from overhyped to downright awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas