Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

Safest Driving City: Souix Falls, SD, Ranked #1, 13.8 average years between collisions.
Most Unsafe: Boston, MA, 4.4 years between collisions.

8th safest city to drive in: Reno, NV, 12.3 years between collisions.

Henderson ranked 72nd, NLV ranked 96th, Las Vegas ranked 130th.

Our neighbor Phoenix ranked 53rd safest to drive in.

Los Angeles ranked 182nd, 6.7 years between collisions.

Anyone know how much cheaper car insurance is in Reno, given they are the 8th safest, compared to what we pay here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 01:10 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Anyone know how much cheaper car insurance is in Reno, given they are the 8th safest, compared to what we pay here?
I don't think that matters. I can look under the couch and find all the money that Amica wants for my annual premiums. (OK, hyperbole. But I simply don't think about car insurance. It amounts to absolutely nothing. A day's pay, basically.) Why? I'm a middle aged, married man who drives a safe, older car and haven't been in an accident that matters since the Reagan administration. (I have been rear-ended in Las Vegas twice. But that's obviously not my fault, and there wasn't even any damage because I drive a tank of a truck.)

Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Since we moved here a little over two weeks ago I have seen drivers do things that amaze me. Dumbest people on the planet.

For example I was next to, but a little behind, an SUV in a two lane roundabout, me in right lane, him in left. We came to a turn and he turned across the front of me. I narrowly avoided missing him and followed him into the parking lot to ask him if he was just stupid, or stupid and blind.

Turns out it was my fault because I "shot past him".

Um, if you had room to get past the front of my truck, how could I have shot past you? He repeated this mantra about five times.

So stupid, and blind.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,606 times
If that is the worst thing you have seen in your 2 weeks, you have a lot of entertainment to come. That is probably the mildest thing I could imagine seeing. I love seeing people shoot across 4 lanes of 55MPH traffic over the a distance of about 20 yards on St Rose so that they can get essentially make a right turn from the far left lane or a left turn from the far right lane.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM

165 posts, read 209,455 times
Drivers here are reckless sociopaths with no regard for the lives of anyone around them. The drivers in Florida are also awful, but they are more clueless than reckless. I think a large number number of accidents here are under reported. Based on the numbers of bashed up cars I see on the roads I think there are a lot of accidents that are not reported to insurance.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Has anyone ever lived where the drivers were exceptionally good? I've lived in 13 states, and a few different countries. I can assure you, drivers everywhere are bad. Boston, New York, California, Seattle, Las Vegas, Chicago... it is the attitude of people, and is noticeable in far more aspects of life than just driving. I suppose if you're living in the middle of nowhere and only see a few cars per day, that would be the exception. But anywhere with millions of people, you're going to experience it.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
This was about 10 years ago, but I lived in Reno for a couple of years and when I moved back into Vegas, Silverado Ranch at the time, my premiums went up about 20%. I shopped around and found about all I could save was 3-4% so I stayed with my insurance at the time.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Has anyone ever lived where the drivers were exceptionally good? I've lived in 13 states, and a few different countries. I can assure you, drivers everywhere are bad. Boston, New York, California, Seattle, Las Vegas, Chicago... it is the attitude of people, and is noticeable in far more aspects of life than just driving. I suppose if you're living in the middle of nowhere and only see a few cars per day, that would be the exception. But anywhere with millions of people, you're going to experience it.
There are degrees of bad.

Las Vegas drivers really aren't all that bad. I don't hate driving in this city the way I hate driving in Miami or Southern California. I won't go to SoCal if I have to drive. If I never go there again, I'm fine with that. They can keep their awful roads, awful drivers and constant traffic jams. If I ruled the world, I would revoke the driver's license of everyone who lives in SoCal and make them ride horses instead.

Even though I have been rear-ended twice in Las Vegas, I don't consider drivers here to be as bad as some metropolitan areas. And I think drivers are actually improving a little compared to when I moved here eight years ago.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM

427 posts, read 630,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I narrowly avoided missing him and followed him into the parking lot to ask him if he was just stupid, or stupid and blind.

Seriously ? you choose to confront someone over a traffic infraction?
What's the point .... to prove that you're right and he's an idiot? There's no winning that argument and in the meantime you could end up shot, stabbed or beaten.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Top make a point. Perhaps the next time he thinks it's okay to do some stupid stunt he won't. And perhaps it will save a life.

You're paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas