Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:58 AM

151 posts, read 227,408 times

Advertisements

If you keep the door closed I dont get how the HOA knows you have a classic vehicle sitting in the garage. It sounds like you have a pissed off a neighbor who might be reporting you. Either way, its BS. All HOAs are. Lucky you are even allowed to keep a car parked in your driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:11 AM

403 posts, read 1,170,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Where we live, the renters must follow the same rules the homeowners do. The owners must give their renters the rules, and the renter agree's to abide by them. Most renters in our area do not follow the rules, so it results in lots of fines for the owners of the rentals.
In all HOAs, the renters must follow the same rules as everyone else - the rules are deed restrictions on the properties, regardless of the occupant.

Your other two points are, unfortunately, too true, although I personally don't automatically blame the renters - often, the owner fails in his responsibility to advise his tenants of the both the rules and the importance of adhering to them.

In my business as a realtor, and with my experience as a former HOA board member, I strongly urge my investor clients to take responsibility for their relationship with their HOA and advise them that the surest way to avoid problems is to pay the lousy $60 a month for a professional landscaper.

Most do take the advice, and those that do sleep much better at night.

One question I have for drmikedw is: have you received notifications of any other violations? If so, what were they for and when were they received?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
In all HOAs, the renters must follow the same rules as everyone else - the rules are deed restrictions on the properties, regardless of the occupant.

Your other two points are, unfortunately, too true, although I personally don't automatically blame the renters - often, the owner fails in his responsibility to advise his tenants of the both the rules and the importance of adhering to them.

In my business as a realtor, and with my experience as a former HOA board member, I strongly urge my investor clients to take responsibility for their relationship with their HOA and advise them that the surest way to avoid problems is to pay the lousy $60 a month for a professional landscaper.

Most do take the advice, and those that do sleep much better at night.

One question I have for drmikedw is: have you received notifications of any other violations? If so, what were they for and when were they received?

The Landlord is bound to make the tenant follow the rules of the HOA. But the tenant is not bound by the rules unless it states so in the lease. I would also think the Landlord has problems if he did not provide the tenant with the rules or the CC&Rs. The HOA has no action against the tenant...only against the landlord. So the landlord gets fined and has to collect it from the tenant.

There is a write up on the situation at...

Realty Times - Real Estate News and Advice

The standard GLVAR lease and most lease forms have such a clause. They requre the leasee to acknowledge receipt of the CC&Rs. But if no CC&Rs are received?

The Landlord has a problem.

I would also note that most standard leases also ban the storage of inoperable vehicles.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Whatever happened to the 'live and let live' spirit of Nevada? A classic car in somebody's garage causes this much commotion???? It's just odd.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmikew View Post
That is where the problem lies, I do not have the CC & R's due to the fact I am only renting my house. Now should that change anything?
I would make sure you get a copy of the CC+R's from your landlord or the property management company

I would ask the Landlord or their agent accompany you to the hearing. Although you are the occupant, the CC+R's apply to the property and the occupants.

That said, if you are "damaged" (financially) you might, again MIGHT, have some right to recover from the owner or their agent for not properly disclosing to you limitations of the properties use.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Whatever happened to the 'live and let live' spirit of Nevada? A classic car in somebody's garage causes this much commotion???? It's just odd.
Just another reason I refuse to deal with an HOA.....

Had one experience with them and that was enough.....[Never saw such a bunch of crochety ol fogies]

Grand daughter got SCREAMED at on Xmas Day cause she was trying out her in line skates on the sidewalk AND got off into the grass when she saw the lady coming.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Just another reason I refuse to deal with an HOA.....
A note: Keep in mind that if you purchase a new home, from a builder, chances are REAL good that there will be an HOA

Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
I know.....fortunately I prefer older homes and unrestricted neighborhoods.....if someone doesnt keep up their house, I can deal with them one on one.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I know.....fortunately I prefer older homes and unrestricted neighborhoods.....if someone doesnt keep up their house, I can deal with them one on one.
...the normal way!

No way could I live under the rule of an HOA!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,693 times
we have a non working 1998 supra (well it starts, but not enough to have it run) in our garage. and barely enough space for 1998 4runner. the new cars are outside. and so far no notices. does it vary from HOA to HOA ?

weve never had to deal with the HOA telling us we cant keep our car in there. in fact, many neighbors on our block park all of their cars outside. and the garage is used for storage. theyve had no problems when i asked them about it. the HOA does however get anal when your factory controller box for a pool comes in its standard color lol. they made us paint it to match the wall or else we get fined. also when i was walking my two dogs (on leashes of course) some lady told me shed report me to the HOA for having such large and (untidy) looking dogs on the street. i was like put down the crack pipe lady theres nothing wrong with walking dogs on the sidewalk. is it your sidewalk ? i dont see your name on here ass hat. she obviously got mad and said i was rude and an imbecile. after that, nothing from the HOA for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: