Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 23,506 times

Advertisements

I was just issued a citation from the HOA for having a classic car stored in my garage. The first citation I received stated that I am not utilizing my garage properly. What is utilizing my garage properly, I have a car in there, tools, and storage items. Long story short I did not think anything of it, then a second notice comes in the mail which states that I am not able to have a car that is not operable in my garage. Has anyone had a similar situation? Can a HOA regulate what I keep in my own garage when the garage door stays shut? What about the neighbor down the street that stores a boat in his garage, what is the difference? Anyway, if anyone can give me some advise I would appreciate it. My hearing is on this Thursday the 7th of December.
P.S. I only have one car in my driveway and many of my neighbors have two, three and even more. Some of my neighbors have cars in their driveways as well as in the street. I though HOA and CC & R's were in place to make sure your house was not an eye sore to your neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,680,541 times
That is outrageous! Someone must not like you there! I have a Classic Car 1970 Chevelle SS in my garage and I drive it once in a while for a cruise or car show. Its covered and I don't live in community with an HOA. That to me is pretty lame! I would fight that because what are you suppose to do? Pay for storage? Its not an eyesore! Its in the friggin' garage! Someone that lives in your eye's view must have said something!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:14 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,188,035 times
The HOA's expect us all to use our garage for it's "intended purpose." Which they say we must park all operating cars in it and not use it for storage. In fact, I just received a notice that I can't use my garage for storage or I will get a $100 a week penalty.
I have half of it for storage and the other side I park my car in it. The storage is nice and neat. I only have one car. They can't fine me for using the rest of it for storage. As far as I'm concerned, they can stick their letter somewhere. lol
Everyone got the same letter, and I believe it's intended for people that never park in their garages but use it solely for storing things, recreation etc.

Look very carefully at the wording in your CC&R's regarding your garage. And the parking rules and regulations. We noticed in the paperwork that they expect us to use the garage for its intended purpose, but it never quite says what. So people generally tend to ignore it. And one of my close neighbors has a boat in his garage, tools, and uses the rest for storage and recreation for the kids, and parks his 2 trucks and a car in the guest lot.

Be careful of some of the homeowners on the board of directors. We have some really nitpicky types on our's and they want to play God with us all and dictate how we live,etc. I always thought the purpose of a HOA was to make sure our houses weren't eyesores, etc, but now I know they really exist to cause problems and fine as many people as they can so they have a nice cash reserve for whatever they use it for.

Good luck at your hearing. Fight it and don't cave in.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,262,305 times
It depends on what the CC&R's for your development say- some places allow cars as long as the door is closed, others have different regs. You received a copy of the CC&R's when you bought the house, and acknowledged receipt of them- read them and see what you signed on for, as you may be SOL.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 23,506 times
That is where the problem lies, I do not have the CC & R's due to the fact I am only renting my house. Now should that change anything?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Is the car drivable? why dont you show them you drive it? Is there a destinction of what is a car that is stored or used part time? If your a renter, maybe you should ask the owner or the property management company and see what they say.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:03 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,262,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmikew View Post
That is where the problem lies, I do not have the CC & R's due to the fact I am only renting my house. Now should that change anything?
It doesn't change anything, other than the fact the landlord will be getting spanked with the fines if you are in violation- as a tenant, you're bound by everything the landlord is. I'd speak to your landlord and have them see what the CC&R's say.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:16 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,047,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It doesn't change anything, other than the fact the landlord will be getting spanked with the fines if you are in violation- as a tenant, you're bound by everything the landlord is. I'd speak to your landlord and have them see what the CC&R's say.
Where did you get that Bob? The Landlord is bound by the CC&Rs but that does not extend to the tenant unless in the lease and the tenant has the CC&Rs or at least a list of the rules he must follow.

Other than that you will get to some sort of a reasonable person standard. A reasonable person should be able to keep a classic car in his garage.

So what does the lease say? If nothing I would think it instantly becomes the Landlords problem. The tenant does not normally even have standing to attend the HOA meeting...

So read the lease..what does it say?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:31 PM

Are there other renters in your street? I know some of those neighborhoods hate the fact there are rentals.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,188,035 times
Where we live, the renters must follow the same rules the homeowners do. The owners must give their renters the rules, and the renter agree's to abide by them. Most renters in our area do not follow the rules, so it results in lots of fines for the owners of the rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: