Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:55 AM

45 posts, read 218,198 times

Advertisements

As long as the pre-owned car was a private party sale - either in Nevada or outside Nevada. I confirmed this on the DMV website and by speaking with the DMV on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
If at all possible (and I know there are logistical issues), you're probably better off buying a car out of SoCal than in Metro LV. It's a much bigger market.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,088 times
There is some great advice in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
if i was selling a car for a couple grand, and you asked for a carfax.. i'd show you the door...

you don't need a copy of the seller's id.. if you asked me for a copy, i'd refuse.. i would not want anyone knowing my driverslicense info etc..

go on the dmv site and get the form and have it ready..

as for mechanic.. if you're spending a chunk of change yes... if a couple grand.. be happy if the car starts and moves..
Quote:
at 10k, yes get the vehicle checked.
if they are looking for a 1500. car, i would not let the buyer waste my time.. i was burned years ago in ohio.. customer wanted to get car checked....i said ok... they took car to mechanic who said everything was wrong, which is wasn't .. they walked.. left the car at the mechanic... i was stuck with the inspection bill

i think the buyers here are unrealistic though.... if i advertise a truck for $8000 and say i'm negotiable... don't offer 4,000 even before you see it.... this gets me angry..

and i agree....vegas is really really expensive.... especially the Toyota Prius..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
MAKE SURE AT THE VERY LEAST THE SMOG IS CURRENT. Do not buy the car if it is not registered and slogged
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I've found it's easy to spot the difference between the "average Joe" selling a car on Craigslist, and the "borderline insane, barely literate meth junkie" who is "selling" a "car" on Craigslist. Real auto ads are written by someone who has driven the car every day for a few years, and writes with a familiarity about the vehicle.

Scammers write car ads as if they have never driven a car in their lives.
And in regards to your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioPhoto View Post
Love this list

You drove with the person to the DMV. So lets say a see the car i like and all looks 100% paper wise. Would it be rude of me to ask the seller to Drive to the DMV with me are meet there and wait till i register ? i would offer to drive back or send in taxi back .

Because my main concern is i buy the car seller takes plates i need to get a moving permit , what if it's like 7pm , or sunday ? what if car is in persons home and i leave to get permit , thay can do do God know what to the car while i get permit ? Maybe i am being paranoid but many on this forum have made me this way jajajajajaajajajajaj
A more reasonable request is to ask the seller if they would be willing to drive the car to your house, remove their plates, and you can can arrange a ride back for them. If asked I would do this, I'd have my wife follow and bring me home. If they're from clear across town tel them you'll buy Lunch if they want. I would not sit at the DMV for hours while a person registers their car. Seriously, would you? I only did this once for a guy who flew here from Florida to buy my car. I brought him to the DMV so he could get a transit plate. I wanted to be sure he was all set before he left. But, he flew clear across the country to buy my car and this was a fairly special car.

Here are a few you can take so you don't have to ask the person to travel to the DMV with you:

Check the title carefully, you will see it's printed on specialty paper not unlike Currency. It has a gradient watermark that goes from faint pink to white, It's a heavy paper, it has intricate ornate border markers in blue (on Nevada titles). It's easy to tell if it's the real deal and no one is likely to forge fake titles good enough to fake a reasonable person to sell cars on craigslist. Fake titles are usually used to borrow against, not sell actual cars.

Check the VIN number on the tile carefully with the VIN number stamped on the drivers side of the dash board or, sometimes on the drivers side windshield pillar. The VIN plate is likely riveted to the car below the windshield. Make sure the plate shows absolutely no sign of tampering (bends/creases or, marks where the rivets may have been drilled out and replaced). In 20+ years I've worked around body shops, salvage yards, etc and never once seen a tampered VIN but I do always check when I buy any vehicle. If you want to go to an extra length run the VIN through NCIC. NCIC is the national register of stolen vehicles the Police use to track stolen vehicles nationwide. You can find it here:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

I don't believe there is a charge to run the VIN on their site.

Make SURE in the Lienholder section on the front of the title it either says "none" or, if there is/was a lienholder it's properly signed off on. NO EXCEPTIONS! If anything this is where you are most likely to get tripped up - a person trying to sell a car with a bank Lien. You will not be able to register a car with a lien on the title.

Lastly use your intuition. If anything makes you feel uncomfortable about the deal simply pass on the car. There are millions out there.

I've bought and sold several cars and Motorcycles here in Vegas off Craigslist. Never had any issues and never dealt with any rude or crazy people.

Last edited by vtvette; 02-27-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 01:17 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
I sold my Highlander on craigslist in 2012. Below is the procedure I used.

1. Took pictures of my car and placed ad on craigslist with all details.
2. Paid off my car using a CC cash advance and savings.
3. Received my car title in mail from lender.
4. Sold my car for an agreed cash payment.
5. Prepared and signed bill of sale.
6. Signed the title over to new owner.
7. Drove new owner to DMV to register the car.
8. New owner registered the car in his name and paid no sales tax, only standard registration fees and taxes.
9. Removed my license plates from the highlander and transferred to my truck at the DMV.
10. Deposited the cash from the sale into my checking account.
11. Paid off my CC cash advance and put the rest in savings.
great info, i'll most likely go the same route. my car is worth about $10k used, but i wonder if craigslist is the best / easiest place to sell it?

i want to get a different car, is the trade-in thing a scam or are there any decent deals out there?

Old 02-27-2015, 01:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
I have two cars on craigslist now. Both are under $2,400. Both are late 90s. Both SUVs.

I swear, the questions that I am getting asked are unbelievable. People have used car budget with new car taste.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:35 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
great info, i'll most likely go the same route. my car is worth about $10k used, but i wonder if craigslist is the best / easiest place to sell it?

i want to get a different car, is the trade-in thing a scam or are there any decent deals out there?
Trade in is wholesale, but you also get the sales tax credit (you buy a $25k car, you get $10k for trade, sales tax is paid on $15k). So as long as you can sell your car for 8.1% more than trade value, then you're good. I've gone both routes - trade and private party. I normally will trade, as the hassle for me, personally, of selling a used car privately isn't worth the couple thousand bucks extra that I'll get vs. trading.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:44 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Trade in is wholesale, but you also get the sales tax credit (you buy a $25k car, you get $10k for trade, sales tax is paid on $15k). So as long as you can sell your car for 8.1% more than trade value, then you're good. I've gone both routes - trade and private party. I normally will trade, as the hassle for me, personally, of selling a used car privately isn't worth the couple thousand bucks extra that I'll get vs. trading.
This is another good point. If the OP is so concerned with buying off Craigslist shop at a car lot. Yes, you may pay a little more but they won't have many of the issues that concern them IE the hassle of arranging to go to the DMV (A car lot can issue you temp registration right there), where and when to meet the seller, etc. Like any other transaction with a middle man you are paying a little more for convenience. Worth it to some, not to other strictly a personal call.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Believe it or not I did better buying at Findlay Fiat then selling on my own.. I had the car on craigslist for $15200... which was cheap.... I received 18k on trade and negotiated almost 5000 off the sticker..I am very pleased... being in the business for 18yrs I knew a few tricks

Old 02-27-2015, 04:05 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Believe it or not I did better buying at Findlay Fiat then selling on my own.. I had the car on craigslist for $15200... which was cheap.... I received 18k on trade and negotiated almost 5000 off the sticker..I am very pleased... being in the business for 18yrs I knew a few tricks
I didn't realize Fiats had that kind of margin.. nice deal!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Rebate was $4k... I bought 2 fiat 500 pops...mine was 12800 new.. bought wife one.. 14000. She HAD to have the damn wheels and big tires... and finally the steal...500L trekking...fully loaded except for sunroof 18700. Theres no other small suv at that price point... nav cameras bluetooth etc... even a comparable kia soul is 24500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: