Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 AM

743 posts, read 968,418 times

Advertisements

look in CA for better deals on pretty much everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 03:35 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Sure, there are a lot of weird people on Craigslist. But there are also smart and sane people too. We sold two cars on Craigslist so far. One that still worked but needed work. One that did not run and needed an engine. Both sold to the first person that called and showed up with cash. One had to be towed, they brought their own tow truck. We did not go to the DMV with either buyer. We printed out the form, had the paperwork filled out, gave the title, keys. Everyone lived happily ever after.
Now the downside was all the calls we got afterwards, and some really bad sob stories how badly they needed a car, etc. But could not afford one. Then why reply to the ad? Always some strange person that wants something for nothing.
I like using Craigslist to sell some things, but did have the opposite experience selling our giant sectional several years ago. Kept getting emails saying they will have their shipper pick up the couch and they would pay me more than the price listed. I told them no and that I did not fall for scams and I did not want their worthless cashiers check. I ended up removing my ad and then finding a friend of a friend that bought the sectional. Went to a home with a lot of kids.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:45 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Trade in is wholesale, but you also get the sales tax credit (you buy a $25k car, you get $10k for trade, sales tax is paid on $15k). So as long as you can sell your car for 8.1% more than trade value, then you're good. I've gone both routes - trade and private party. I normally will trade, as the hassle for me, personally, of selling a used car privately isn't worth the couple thousand bucks extra that I'll get vs. trading.
If i can get $7k trade-in for my $10k used-value car, then i'd most definitely do it mainly for the convenience. i was unaware about the sales tax benefit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Believe it or not I did better buying at Findlay Fiat then selling on my own.. I had the car on craigslist for $15200... which was cheap.... I received 18k on trade and negotiated almost 5000 off the sticker..I am very pleased... being in the business for 18yrs I knew a few tricks
if i can do better, then i'll certainly try.... what are these tricks you speak of?

Old 03-02-2015, 05:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
First. Know what your car is really worth... throw the blue book away..... what model and miles do you have

Old 03-02-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
First. Know what your car is really worth... throw the blue book away..... what model and miles do you have
100k '02 tbird. fair condition.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
100k '02 tbird. fair condition.
ACV is around $7K.. is that what you came up with, Airics?

Bear in mind, that's actual cash value of what a dealer should pay for your car, whether you purchased a car or not. Anything taken off the sticker, or any rebates will bump your "trade-in value". Buy a $20K car, they take $3K off in rebates, etc, your trade-in is now $10K. You pay sales tax on the difference.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:40 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Manheim report shows 1 sold AT NEVADA with 100k... 6100. Dealer has fees to sell....dealer will be offering closer to 5000. Plus you say yours is only fair condition so maybe even less..... None anywhere sold for 7000. With 100k

Next question... What are you looking to buy.....if it's a new honda or toyota, you'll be lucky to get 5k. Why? The vehicles are in demand and the thought process is if you don't buy it someone else will.

Whereas if it's a fiat or mitsubishi, you'll get 6000. As they want to move the metal.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Next question... What are you looking to buy.....if it's a new honda or toyota, you'll be lucky to get 5k. Why? The vehicles are in demand and the thought process is if you don't buy it someone else will.

Whereas if it's a fiat or mitsubishi, you'll get 6000. As they want to move the metal.
something practical with good mpg, possibly a hybrid or EV... just looking for a good deal, nothing too specific in mind

Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 PM

743 posts, read 968,418 times
bought the gf a used Prius (in CA where they are 15% cheaper)...and have been thrilled with it so far. Go with the Prius. =)

Old 03-07-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
bought the gf a used Prius (in CA where they are 15% cheaper)...and have been thrilled with it so far. Go with the Prius. =)
i was thinking that, but then the wife said she'd leave me.... so i may just do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: