Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:05 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
... Now that I am closer to finishing grad school, and potentially moving, I am discouraged by all the posts about the housing market. It seems that if you do find a home on the market, it is snatched up by cash buyers. ...
It could be worse; you could be interested in moving here: In the Bay Area, million-dollar homes are torn down to start fresh

Back to discussing Henderson. One of the trends to consider is the Standard & Poors 500 index is up quite a bit in the time you've been in school. Below is a 5 year chart.

The implication for you is that while you've been in school investing in human capital (good for you, btw), people with stock investments have seen their portfolios increase in value. They can sell some of their portfolio, pay the tax, and have cash left to invest in real estate either by increasing the size of their down-payment or just paying cash outright. If you are like most grad students, you probably don't have a significant savings or investment portfolio, so you can't replicate their strategy.

The good news for you is that the economy in Las Vegas is still bruised. Many people are under-employed (whatever that means) and of course the unemployment rate is still too high compared to the rest of the nation. That means the local real estate market has room to improve if the local economy improves. So, if you can get into any real estate, you have a reasonable chance at riding it higher.

Also, since you are just now graduating, you can expect your own income to go up faster than the general wage level, as your early years in employment will entail significant OTJ training which makes you more valuable year after year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:56 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,271 times
I would look into homepath condos.
They have to be owner occupied so investors wishing to rent & sell (technically) can't purchase them. That is what I did last sept.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:53 PM

402 posts, read 745,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
What do they say about armchair quarterbacks
True story. I've been watching your market from afar for about two years and I'm still not sure what is going on. I know prices seem to be continuing upward, but I just can't pull the trigger as prices seem to be higher than relative comps and I don't want to be the guy owning the most expensive place on the block. I will likely pull the trigger in the next 12 months, but I still need some more data to be comfortable.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
True story. I've been watching your market from afar for about two years and I'm still not sure what is going on. I know prices seem to be continuing upward, but I just can't pull the trigger as prices seem to be higher than relative comps and I don't want to be the guy owning the most expensive place on the block. I will likely pull the trigger in the next 12 months, but I still need some more data to be comfortable.
The Las Vegas median sale price has consistently risen since January 2012; with the exception of a small decrease from March-June 2013 that was negated by the rises in the following two months. Waiting 12 months doesn't seem likely to net you a lower sale price, just the opposite.

What have you seen the last two years that makes you think otherwise?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
i'll bet you a cheeseburger that prices increase another 10% or more this year....

Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 PM

557 posts, read 793,068 times
As a prior homeowner in NY I was purchasing my home here in the valley in the beginning of 2012. I was not too concerned about pricing tends as I had sold my home in the current market in NY first part of 2012 . I was looking to immediately purchase out here in NV so I figured it all evened out. My home out here is up significantly and my prior home back east has been stagnant since I sold.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:13 AM

165 posts, read 209,280 times
I closed on my current SW Las Vegas house last July and I don't think the market has changed a whole lot since then. I think I was about a year late to catch the bottom of the market.

I was looking at around a $200k budget, and I wanted a one story house. I put in offers on around 10 different houses before I finally got one accepted, and I was offering list price. Going back to look at the houses I "lost", most of them sold to cash buyers for around $25k above list price. Since I wasn't a cash buyer there was just no way to compete.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 PM

402 posts, read 745,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
The Las Vegas median sale price has consistently risen since January 2012; with the exception of a small decrease from March-June 2013 that was negated by the rises in the following two months. Waiting 12 months doesn't seem likely to net you a lower sale price, just the opposite.

What have you seen the last two years that makes you think otherwise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i'll bet you a cheeseburger that prices increase another 10% or more this year....
I think 10% is about right but that's not what people were saying earlier in the thread. Do you want to bet a cheeseburger on the 25% mentioned earlier where my delusional comment was aimed?

I'm waiting 12 months to see if the market is still acting unrationally and to get a better feel now that I'll be local. I see asking prices that I feel are greater than the home value so I keep looking. More importantly, I'm not buying for short term and money making. I'm looking for a place I like more than I'm looking for a great deal and I haven't found it yet at a price I want to pay. The fact that I'm leery about prices continuing to rise quickly is actually less of a factor but I can't ignore it.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:35 AM

743 posts, read 968,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
As a prior homeowner in NY I was purchasing my home here in the valley in the beginning of 2012. I was not too concerned about pricing tends as I had sold my home in the current market in NY first part of 2012 . I was looking to immediately purchase out here in NV so I figured it all evened out. My home out here is up significantly and my prior home back east has been stagnant since I sold.
-And Adios NY property taxes. High five.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 AM

557 posts, read 793,068 times
Agree . I was paying 12 k a year on a 300 k home in a so so area with overrated schools. Taxes seem to go up here around 90$ a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas