Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

Invest in an UV light (aka a black light). Scorpions reflect UV so well that they seem to glow. When my mother in law was having problems with them, she would check each room with the UV light. We did this until my sealing regimen paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 03:21 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
we found two small sand colored scorpions shortly after buying wood for a firepit. maybe they were in there or maybe they were lurking in or near the house somewhere

i bought some scorpion killer from amazon for $42, it's now $8 cheaper (Cy-Kick CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin 16oz Insecticide) haven't seen any in the house since. i spray this stuff inside and outside. i have a puppy and he's still alive.

i used a gallon sprayer bottle that i bought from homedepot or sears for like $10. i don't pay the insect people anymore.

I did see one, a little larger, high up on my neighbors house/our wall about a month ago. i killed it myself

do not flush a live one down the drain, they are one of the most resilient creatures on the planet.

a black light apparently makes them shine/glow. i used one of these to find more at night after the incident. couldn't find any

Old 03-10-2014, 03:34 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Invest in an UV light (aka a black light). Scorpions reflect UV so well that they seem to glow. When my mother in law was having problems with them, she would check each room with the UV light. We did this until my sealing regimen paid off.

great idea... thank you

Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
ordered!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 PM

89 posts, read 116,141 times
Just have the spray man come once a month. In the almost nine years I've lived here have not seen one inside the house and only one on the terrace. One word of caution is those with swimming pools at night, be VERY careful about where you put your hands at the water line. I get a few crawling about seeking water at night and its after dark that I like to take a swim.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM

65 posts, read 98,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
(Cy-Kick CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin 16oz Insecticide)
I use the same stuff for roaches (no scorpions here /knockonwood), Cy-Kick is great stuff! Definitely give it a try before spending extra money on a professional. Cy-kick is a $50 investment and will last 2 years worth of regular treatments. That would be hundreds of dollars saved.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Do you have plants around the exterior of the house that attract bugs? If so, those bugs may be attracting the scorpions. Fruit trees seem to be notorious for this.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Do you have plants around the exterior of the house that attract bugs? If so, those bugs may be attracting the scorpions. Fruit trees seem to be notorious for this.

yes indeed... I do

Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
If you don't want the scorpions, those plants may need to go.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 AM

255 posts, read 451,454 times
We moved here last April. We'd been here about 3 months when I saw a huge scorpion, 4 to 5 inches long crawling in front of my refrigerator! I screamed bloody murder and ran to get my husband. He came back to the kitchen with me and the dang thing was gone! But it left it's baby (about 2 1/2 inches long) there! So he captured it and put it in a glass dish with a lid, put it out on the patio and it died. I was so freaked out that we basically holed up in the bedroom for about 2 weeks (hubby has the fear too) with our cat.

Thus began my research on scorpions and pest control companies. I found out about the different kinds of scorpions. The one to watch out for, that's venom is the worst, is the Arizona Bark Scorpion. I am sure that is what we had. Look at in google images. It's so creepy! You do not want to get stung by one of these guys. But if you do, you're in for about 2 days of a lot of pain. And if you have other symptoms from the sting like an allergic reaction, you should go to the doctor. It can be life threatening under certain circumstances. Also docs will give you something for the pain.

I'm embarrassed to say that with all the fear those things generated, we still have not treated the house and yard. There is a wide variety of prices being charged for treatment. Most of the companies try to get you to sign a year contract for monthly service. But not all. And they use different kinds of sprays too. There is toxic and non-toxic. If you want the non-toxic, it will probably cost more.

What I did do was go to Lowe's and get a black light flashlight, some sticky glue tape and a grabber that holds sticky papers so you can pick up the thing without too much risk. I put the tape around my refrigerator and stove where I think they were coming from. Left it a few weeks till it got too dirty. It caught one teeny tiny one about 3/4 of an inch long. Don't know if that's what size the babies start out as of if it was a different variety. Hubby also did research and said they can live to be around 18 years old! I also was told by someone that they can go 6 months without food.

So then I went to Home Depot and saw a big spray bottle of scorpion killer for around $15 and I bought it and will do it myself. One thing I did find out from talking to the pest control guys is that they treat inside the walls through your outlets. So when I do this I will probably do that first, then the interior perimeter and after that, the exterior perimeter.

One place said they come out at dusk to your house to look for where they're getting in. But if I spray the entire perimeter inside and out and between the walls, I don't see how they would be able to come in because the stuff kills them when they walk on it, even when dry. It has a residual effect for 90 days.

I can't believe I got so lax that I never got the house treated. I figured it was winter and they probably weren't as active. But now it's not winter anymore so I'd better get on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas