Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:22 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,759 times

Advertisements

Going back to my previous example when the subject came up before, if I own a home in Bullhead City AZ where I live during the week and a beautiful estate in Baker CA where I vacation on weekends and I am observed by some NHP guy who starts to recognize my car every Friday night & Sunday night traveling through Searchlight NV as I travel to and from my 2 homes, does this give them the right to ticket me any time from the middle of April (30th day I am driving on NV roads) through the end of the year, even though I don't even stop for gas or food within the state lines of NV?

I'd love to see that end up in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Going back to my previous example when the subject came up before, if I own a home in Bullhead City AZ where I live during the week and a beautiful estate in Baker CA where I vacation on weekends and I am observed by some NHP guy who starts to recognize my car every Friday night & Sunday night traveling through Searchlight NV as I travel to and from my 2 homes, does this give them the right to ticket me any time from the middle of April (30th day I am driving on NV roads) through the end of the year, even though I don't even stop for gas or food within the state lines of NV?

Ok, you lost me at "beautiful estate in Baker, CA" LOL

Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
Quote:

Yes you can receive a ticket because traveling within the state is the same as being a temporary or seasonal resident.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:

And show up with the Attorney General's opinion if it does. To me, the law is not all that clear, and the constitutional implications are valid. It isn't intended to apply in this situation.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
But the March 21 opinion by Legislative Counsel Brenda Erdoes said that border state residents, tourists or seasonal residents in Nevada do not have to change plates even if they are in the state for more than 30 days in a year. Requiring them to do so would place an "unconstitutional burden on the ability of the nonresident to engage in interstate travel," she stated.
Interesting. A good find, lvoc. I'm looking forward to hearing updates on this issue if you get a response from DMV.

Bill

Old 03-14-2014, 12:03 AM

165 posts, read 209,338 times
I wonder how much this hurts the "snow bird" population in the area. Old folks are cheap and stubborn, stuff like this is a pretty big turn-off. Arizona on the other hand heavily caters to the seasonal folks like my parents. I understand that this is a major funding source for the state since we have no income tax, so it has to be enforced. However, I wonder if the increased revenue offsets the spending of the seasonal residents we lose.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
So if you spend 6 months in California and 6 months here, you're registering your car twice a year. Odd.
Both CA and NV want registration $$$. Other states have essentially the same regulation, as every state wants the $$$.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
As a Seasonal Resident, this law does not worry me one bit. For, it's one of those technical statutes that's passively, not actively, enforced. I doubt if our members here even know of an enforcement example. I've not heard of one.

Bill
There are other issues to consider. Let's say your car is registered in UT, and you are in NV and according to NV statute, you're supposed to register in NV (ignoring the issue that by registering in NV you might very well be violating UT statute).

But, knowing that this technical statute is passively enforced, you do not register in NV; you keep your UT plates and insurance.

Imagine you're in an automobile accident for which you are at fault, causing much property damage & maybe even injury or loss of life. That's what we have insurance for, right?

Well -- Let's say you have State Farm. Actually, you are insured by State Farm Insurance of UT rather than State Farm Insurance of NV. They do a bit of due diligence & decline to cover or defend you because, technically, you are not at that time a resident of UT and you should have, technically, re-registered & acquired insurance regulated by NV's department of insurance.

BTW, I haven't investigated to see if this has ever happened - just speculating.

Or, there is a criminal action against you resulting from the auto accident, and now you are, technically, an uninsured driver ...

I suspect the likelihood of this happening is probably miniscule. The question you have to ask yourself is, do you feel lucky?

(BTW, Utah has essentially the same rule. We are in Park City during much of ski season, and, technically, we should register our vehicles in UT and then re-register in NV. Note we are residents, for tax purposes, of NV).

Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I would like to see how they would verify time spent in Nevada.
ATM receipts. Credit card purchases. Doctor visits. Facebook page (you'd be surprised). While Nevada doesn't have a state income tax, those states who do have an income tax are really quite good at determining where you are, and they share the knowledge & best known methods of research.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Or, there is a criminal action against you resulting from the auto accident, and now you are, technically, an uninsured driver ...
And THAT is what umbrella policies are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: